Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I see in a couple of threads there has been some concern with the reliability of the Versys engine. I talked to 3 different service managers in the Atlanta area and they all said that they had never seen, or heard of, a Versys having any type of engine trouble at all. They said not to be concerned and I for one am not.

What's your year and mileage and what (if any) issues you have had with your V.

Ive got a red 08 pretty much stock with 8,200 miles. I ride it hard in the mountains and have had no issues whatsoever.:thumb:

·
Registered
420 Posts
I see in a couple of threads there has been some concern with the reliability of the Versys engine. I talked to 3 different service managers in the Atlanta area and they all said that they had never seen, or heard of, a Versys having any type of engine trouble at all. They said not to be concerned and I for one am not.

To put at ease anyone who may be looking at getting one of these fine machines, let's have a roll call of your year and mileage and what if any issues you have had with your V.

Ive got a red 08 pretty much stock with 8,200 miles. I ride it hard in the mountains and have had no issues whatsoever.:thumb:
18,000miles
no issues at all

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have an 09 Green bought it new in April. haven't done any engine or power mods, only cosmetic and comfort mods and top case. I have over 5800 miles so far and everything is good no issues.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I was talking a the mechanic last week at WOW and said he loves the engine (same as engine Kawi uses all/most of their 650s). From everything I have heard the engine is pretty much bulletproof. But no matter how good anything is there will be the occassional failure.

·
Registered
959 Posts
there was a thread on the versys.co.uk site recently about reliability. there were some issues over the poll votes but it showed 90/10 split between those who had never had their bike let them down on the road (excluding punctures) and thise who had had problems
http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=45&topic=6422.0

and there are some high milege bikes there
several over 20,000 miles and at least one over 55,000 miles

for me personally I've done some 10,000 miles since January 2009, the bike has now done 14,000 with no problems

a couple of people reported battery problems
there are the (fairly) well known concerns over the rectifier/charging system which I think seems to be more an issue on the 2006/7 bikes.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
I was talking a the mechanic last week at WOW and said he loves the engine (same as engine Kawi uses all/most of their 650s). From everything I have heard the engine is pretty much bulletproof. But no matter how good anything is there will be the occassional failure.

Exactly.

:thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
New here. I have an 08 with 17,000 miles. Maintenance by the book. No problems with this machine at all. A pleasure to ride and own!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
15,000 miles running great! Added 44 tooth sprocket last weekend along with new Dunlop Roadsmart tires. Big improvement. I am beginning to thing it a bike didn't have a few warts it wouldn't be any fun...it has been fun trying to come up with good solutions. As long as those warts aren't bad or don't make the bike unsafe.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have about 2500 on mine and at around 1000, the water pump gasket started leaking. It was covered under warranty with no problem, just the hassle to take it back & leave it while they ordered the parts.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've got just under 22,000 miles on my 2008 with no issues.

One of things that drew me to this bike was the common heritage with the Ninja 650. Even though it's a fairly new bike, most of the components have been used on the Ninja for a while. If you add in the owner history for all of the Ninja's out there, there is a pretty strong base of reliability and opportunity to learn about nagging issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts