Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find any loose vacuum hoses and I hate taking the tank off. Anyone else every heard a sound like this on their bike? '09 650. Sound is a little worse at low speeds or low RPMs, goes away if I'm accelerating hard. It kinda sounds like it's coming from down low near the exhaust.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
It's your stock muffler/catalytic converter unit that has developed the dreaded chirping/whistling noise. It is rusting out and deteriorating inside... I still have my unused original 2007 muffler available, by the way.

What's the total mileage on your 2009?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's your stock muffler/catalytic converter unit that has developed the dreaded chirping/whistling noise. It is rusting out and deteriorating inside... I still have my unused original 2007 muffler available, by the way.

What's the total mileage on your 2009?

12,300 miles. It sounded like it was coming from the exhaust. Is there a good slip on replacement that wouldn't require an intake and fuel controller? I'm not really to concerned with what it sounds like honestly.

Would this indicate a problem somewhere upstream of the exhaust or is this normal for an older bike? I bought it with about 10k on it last summer. Runs great over all other than that.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Does it sleep outside much? It's quite normal for nearly 12 years old. Bear in mind that one gallon of water is produced in the combustion process for every gallon of gasoline consumed, and the muffler internals are not made of stainless steel.

You don't need any change in intake or a fuel controller to run with an aftermarket exhaust.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it sleep outside much? It's quite normal for nearly 12 years old. Bear in mind that one gallon of water is produced in the combustion process for every gallon of gasoline consumed, and the muffler internals are not made of stainless steel.

You don't need any change in intake or a fuel controller to run with an aftermarket exhaust.
View attachment 179829

Will these make my bike sound like a 600RR? I like the stock sound of the Versys. Does the length have an effect on the sound? I like that small 9"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And yes.... it slept outside before I bought it. I'm thinking of going with the stubby 13" tri-oval, I haven't been able to find what one sound like online though. I just don't want it to sound like an obnoxious street bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got it installed, sounds great. A little louder than I wanted but it sounds so good I don't care. I'm sure my neighbors care though :LOL:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts