Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am doing a valve clearance check and have removed everything except the valve cover. I can't seem to find the right position to get it out. What is the best way?

Never mind. I didn't have the throttle cables loose enough.

·
Super Moderator
19,636 Posts
Dave - because the remove/install process for the 'valve-cover' is a bit tight, be vigilant when you reinstall it that the gasket ("O-ring" type) is STILL in its channel.

:goodluck:

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts
Remove TB

I am doing a valve clearance check and have removed everything except the valve cover. I can't seem to find the right position to get it out. What is the best way?

Never mind. I didn't have the throttle cables loose enough.
Because your 2009 has more room, it isn't as difficult as the 2015, however knowing what I know now, after owning a 2007 and now a 2015, removing the throttle bodies takes about 2 minutes more and makes work on the valve shim so much easier.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Be sure to clean the gasket and channel and use gasket seal when reinstalling the valve cover. I didn’t do that when I reinstalled the cover and ended up with an oil leak in the half moon area of the gasket.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Be sure to clean the gasket and channel and use gasket seal when reinstalling the valve cover. I didn’t do that when I reinstalled the cover and ended up with an oil leak in the half moon area of the gasket.
You only need a bit of RTV just around the half moon area cuz if it's gonna leak it will be here.

Covering the entire gasket is not necessary and will make it difficult to get the cover next time. Not to mention the mess it will make.

Also make sure the clutch cable is completely out of the way as you will need space on that side to get the cam cover out.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts
You only need a bit of RTV just around the half moon area cuz if it's gonna leak it will be here.

Covering the entire gasket is not necessary and will make it difficult to get the cover next time. Not to mention the mess it will make.

Also make sure the clutch cable is completely out of the way as you will need space on that side to get the cam cover out.

Good luck.
Thanks for posting, this forum is something like a club, the club is only as good as the members belonging to it, each day some of the posts put a smile on my face, as many members go to the trouble of giving detail possibly left out by a previous poster. As I am sure many realize, I am generally on each day, sometimes 2 or 3 times if PM are sent to me for help. I had considered adding what you just stated, but like I said, time is precious. When I have a bit extra time, I try and add more posts/ threads to the How To Forum.

:thanx: for posting :type:

·
Super Moderator
19,636 Posts
What's the secret to removing the valve cover?

"What's the secret to removing the valve cover?"

You NEED a really BIG hammer!:wink2:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hawkerjet,

I sealed the entire gasket! Did make a bit of a mess to clean up too, well at least the leak is gone. 13k miles until the next inspection, hope I don’t have to wrestle with the valve cover too much to get it off.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Hawkerjet,

I sealed the entire gasket! Did make a bit of a mess to clean up too, well at least the leak is gone. 13k miles until the next inspection, hope I don’t have to wrestle with the valve cover too much to get it off.
That depends on what you sealed it with. Regardless it will be more difficult to remove.

You will probable have to pry the cover up at one of the corners to break it loose. Once off the biggest hassle is usually cleaning off all the residual silicone before re-assembly.

The other issue of far greater importance is if you really slobbered it on and some breaks loose and circulates in the oil thru the engine it could lodge in an oil galley cutting off the oil flow to a critical area. This could result in premature engine failure.

Anytime you use sealer use it very sparingly to avoid this issue.

·
Super Moderator
19,636 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, next question: I have been out of town for a few days, while waiting for new gaskets. What is the best way to keep the valve cover gasket in place while maneuvering the cover into place?

·
Super Moderator
19,636 Posts
Okay, next question: I have been out of town for a few days, while waiting for new gaskets. What is the best way to keep the valve cover gasket in place while maneuvering the cover into place?
A VERY SMALL bit of silicone-seal in a few places to hold the gasket, then be GENTLE w/ it as you install.

:goodluck:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts