Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

How Hot is Too Hot to Ride?

• I'm a Tough Guy (or Gal), and I ride no matter what.

Votes: 31 66.0%
  • I'll ride up to 100 degrees.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • If it's pushing 90 degrees, I really gotta think about it.

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Yeah, right...that's why I have a cage.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started a thread some time ago that asked what the coldest rides were for cats on the forum, so after my ride in 103+ degree heat yesterday afternoon after work I thought I'd pose the question.

While I was sitting at a stoplight sweating, I thought of the following:

1) It was so hot that it was better riding at speed with the visor totally closed vice cracked since the air felt like an oven blast
2) Glad that the ventilation in my lid actually worked
3) Glad that I didn't have air-cooled large displacement jugs between my legs to cook my oysters
4) Super glad that I had new rubber on to deal with melting tar snakes
5) And super, super glad that I was pounding water all day to stay hydrated!

I got caught once riding in the heat thinking that I had enough water to drink, and it was only when I started feeling wobbly at speed when I realized that I had better pull over NOW to drink some water.

Again, I'm sure that there are cats here who would laugh at my "misery" in this "heat"...

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I'm not laughing 98 is my top and I made sure I could keep moving for the most part! Man thats hot trashysquid! :eek:

Some of these dudes do use cooling vests! They will chime in I'm sure!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I've probably rode over 100* but that wouldve been when I was stationed out west (it is a dry heat). On the east coast, last week actually, it was around 97* and it wasn't unbearable. I should say that I wasnt completely ATGATT, the overpants stayed in the saddle bag for the ride home, shame on me......

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Last Thursday in Pennsylvania and Ohio, 99 and humid.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Couple of weeks ago in central Florida:

(I stopped just long enough to take this picture.)

I expect 100+ through Kansas on Sunday and Monday on my way to Colorado.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think it was 106 today, and I rode. Will probably ride the rest of the week.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Last summer I rode my bike down to VA for vacation from NY. The ride down started at 5pm and lasted early into the morning, tiring but not bad.

The ride home was miserable. It warmed up to about 105, and I had to be at work the next day, so taking it easy was not a option. 400 miles in the triple digits sucked. I had on every piece of gear I had. I was drinking water non stop from my camelback and sweating like crazy. I had to take a nice long nap in the air conditioned rest area. Probably looked liked a homeless person stretched out on the bench sleeping but the ac felt great.

That was the worst and most miserable ride of my life.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, living in Phoenix doesn't give me a lot of choice. I ride my bike as a commuter and today topped out above 110. I didn't ride in that but it was over 100 on my way home tonight:censored:

·
Registered
259 Posts
First off I hate summertime here in the southeast. I don't do well in the heat. Since living in Chattanooga my wife and I (along with countless others) have developed bad allergies from the pollution, pollen and mold that never gets blown out of town because of our weather inversion. Our apartment stays between 64 and 68 degrees year round!

However.... I LOVE to ride!!! So, the mesh suite goes on over my evap' vest, I pack lots of water and off I go. Toward the mountains. Left out last Monday at noon at 92 degrees, hit the Cherohala Skyway and found 63 degrees at around 5,000 feet.

If it's not an elevation ride I won't even go outside when it gets 95 degrees or more.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I remember Moto GP at Laguna Seca in I think 2006. They had to postpone the race because the track was melting. It was 110 in the shade and a lot hotter on the track. On the way back, passing through Gilroy, a sign said 106, at 7:30pm. I really wished for mesh pants :)

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
90 degrees.
Full leathers.
Highway and country roads.
3.5 hours... Detroit to Traverse City.
Very comfortable.
No problem-o.

·
Registered
269 Posts
In this part of the world? Probably around 80 deg F, but to be honest and may sound odd, for me it can be too hot for biking at times unless you're prepared to ride around in t-shirt and shorts - which I'm not prepared to do. Jeans, jacket, gloves and lid as a minimum. Would rather jump in the car and fire up the air-con...!

·
Registered
720 Posts
It's 80+ to 90 all year round in my country. Only very rare occasion it would touch 100.

·
Registered
190 Posts
On June 17th I was riding from CO to WI. Nebraska was 100+

I wear a wool t-shirt and stop every 45 mins. to get it drenched in cold water.....keeps the core cool, which keeps you from fading in the heat.....which is dangerous.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts