Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before people start saying "you squ-idiot" let me just say I know I was an idiot.

Years ago when I was younger, dumber and thought I was invincible I was leaving a bar (after 2 beers and food not even buzzed). I got on the highway and it was empty so I gunned it. before I knew it I was doing about 130 (full throttle) down an empty stretch of highway. :badidea: I saw traffic way ahead so I slowed to 80ish. A few mins later an unmarked car pulled next to me and pulled me over. I thought I was getting busted for doing 80 so I pulled right over (not that I would've tried to run). Turns out he was chasing me for miles and had me on radar doing "over 130". Needless to say he was not happy. I didn't think he saw me going that fast, so when he got out of the car screaming I was like WTF is this guys problem? I was very respectful and explained I was stupid and totally in the wrong. Sometimes you just wanna go fast. Long story short, because I pulled over he let me go with an enormous ticket :sorry: :guilty:. I paid it about $450.00, and vowed never to drive like one of those douches again. Lesson learned.
What have you done?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Before people start saying "you squ-idiot" let me just say I know I was an idiot.
Track time is pretty cheap by comparison. How did that affect your insurance?

I had some friends out west who used to keep a lawyer on retainer to get them out of their high dollar citations. He wasn't cheap either, but he kept the points off their licenses and their insurance was never the wiser.

As for me, I live in the US where our Constitution makes provisions against self incrimination. I plead the 5th...

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Track time is pretty cheap by comparison. How did that affect your insurance?

I had some friends out west who used to keep a lawyer on retainer to get them out of their high dollar citations. He wasn't cheap either, but he kept the points off their licenses and their insurance was never the wiser.

As for me, I live in the US where our Constitution makes provisions against self incrimination. I plead the 5th...
Well I was one ticket from losing my license after that one, so my insurance went through the roof. I think it was around $1600 a year for a <$5000 bike. Lucky me when I moved from Mass-of-two-****s to New Hampshire they reset all my points for insurance. Those offences from when I was younger followed me for years. Now I have a clean slate and I intend to keep it that way. The V is fast enough to get me in trouble, but I am happy riding at normal speeds on it. Not sure if it's me getting older or the bike but either way I am happy.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Not a street bike but I used to race dirt. Was at a practice day and decided to try to keep pace with a guy that was much faster than I ever was. Cost me about 6 months of crutches time and another 6 of learning to walk again.

That is probably why I ride so conservative on the street. Hitting dirt sucks. Don't want to find out how pavement feels.

·
Registered
257 Posts

I remember on my first street bike, I grabbed a handful of throttle in the right lane of a four lane road to pass a car (totally legal) going slow in the left lane and he decided to change lanes while I was in his blind spot. As I squeezed right, I remember my front wheel rubbing against the curb as I proceeded down the gutter and clipped his righthand mirror with the end of my handlebars as I passed. Needless to say, it taught me to respect traffic and to appreciate my offroad experience to ride out tight situations....after I cleaned out my shorts...lol.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Once or twice I didn't stop at a stop sign. No one was around, so I slowed and then kept going. I felt guilty for being such a rebel.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
i think dumbest on a bike was when i was 16 and had a twin turbo 1250cc ninja and discovered tires have a maximum speed.......... blow out @near 200mph .... lots of broken bones. and very very totaled bike.....

runners up would be youth mini moto racing and riding a 3-wheeler on train tracks with 4 people on it and a flat tire......

·
Registered
49 Posts
Either when I took my Versys up to Canada and didn't believe the "30kph Curve" sign and nearly ran off the road. Or when I dumped the KLX250 I was borrowing from my father on a single track and fell down a small cliff-esque hill into the woods. Or maybe when I found a quiet stretch of highway one night and played around lofting the front of my Versys....

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Many years ago while in college near Portland, Oregon, I was returning from an early spring trip to San Francisco. Cold and dead tired I fell asleep at the controls of my POS '57 Harley 750 flathead and ran into the back of an enormous Cadillac. :eek:

It was stopped at a traffic light so I guess I should have been thankful it was there and prevented me from running a red light (while asleep) and probably getting T-boned in the process. One lives and learns - I suppose. On the bright side, it turned out that Harley 750 flatheads are almost indestructible, thank you very much. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
19,629 Posts
I would not know where to start explaining using up my 8 of the cats 9 lives :D
Phil - GOOD post...!

Can't remember the DUMBEST thing I've done on a bike.... PROBABLY a good thing!

Oh yes - MAYBE I can:

...riding my FIRST enduro (FIM style) in Quebec back in '75. I knew a BIT about riding dirt, but NOT enough! ATGATT w/ new SiDi enduro boots, starting to rain, going to ride my first "special section" (timed thru a section of trail), which in this case was going UP an expert ski run (black diamond).

They waved me off, and I 'squirted-up' the hill, around a bend, then UP again, to another bend where I saw a downed tree, maybe 18" thick, across the trail. From the tire-marks and the lack of bark I could see that they were riding OVER it, so I rode INTO that tree at... whatever speed.... No wheelie - NUTHIN!

Due to the slickness of the wet, bark-less tree trunk, my Yamaha DT360 'snapped' to the left, driving my right leg into the tree between the DT and it, and I was thrown OVER the tree, my foot CAUGHT by the bike. I THINK I shattered my fibula when I hit (about 10 pieces over about 6"), but as my body continued over, my ankle PINNED by the bike, FINALLY my ankle had had enough, and I broke the end of the tibia where it goes over the ankle.

I still recall that it seemed like a light went off in my head (just like in the cartoons of Wiley Coyote), and now, on my back in the mud upstream of the tree, worried that someone would ride OVER the tree and onto me (there was a DT360 on the other side kind of advertising that the way was NOT clear :eek:...), I took my helmet off w/ ONE pull w/out undoing it - adrenalin, I guess - and it was a full-face(!!!) - and scrabbled backwards away from the tree YELLING at the top-of-my-lungs....

Eventually I was carried out on a ski-lift-shack door, and ended up at a hospital where an orthopedic surgeon spent three hours putting my leg back together (TWO pins, ONE of which - the one at the ankle-end of my tibia - is STILL there!).

I got better, had my license to fly back in eight weeks (two were physio-therapy), and rode one HELLUVA lot better the next season!

:yeahsmile:

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I parked on Daytona Beach in front of the amphitheater during spring break. After a great concert it was time to leave, but the tide came up. There were cars and trucks in the ocean. I was high and dry, but couldn't ride through the soft sand. So, I ventured into about 6 inches of salt water took my way through the cars to the beach ramp. As I was passing between two cars at a snails pace, one of the cars moved and a cable popped up out of the water between my front wheel and frame.

Talk about a surprise! My forward progress was immediately stopped and I crumpled onto the tank. Fortunately, observers got the car stopped and helped keep me and my bike upright. That was a very close call.

·
Registered
89 Posts
In 1989 I was very inexperienced on a borrowed 1987 Ninja 1000 (R or S, I forget), so there's one stupid move just to start. It was late at night on a nice, quiet rural road and my friend on a Virago says, "Let's race!" Sure, Crack the throttle on the Ninja and away I go--right over the white line--throttle still cracked--running out of shoulder-finally brain tells right hand to back off. Coming off the throttle felt a lot like braking, but I got back on the road.
I have since had closer calls, but that one would have been totally my fault and the entire combination of night riding in no safety gear on a bike I probably still couldn't handle safely makes it the dumbest move I've made.
And my story, luckily, involves no points on license or time in surgery. I did enough of that from nice, sane sports.

Mike

·
Premium Member
16,222 Posts
Too much alcohol & too many police officers for one man to handle....The only thing bigger than my hangover were the knots on my head :eek::eek:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Many years ago, when I was 14, I war riding my 50cc.
I wanted to try to cross my hands: I put my left hand on the right part of the handlebar and the right hand on the left side :badidea:.
I immediately flew down!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts