Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'07 with almost 70000 km. I have a battery minder (LED light on dash) that monitors voltage. Green is good, red is not as good, flashing red is never a good thing. Normally runs green at idle, even with heated grips on, but the other day started flashing red at everything under 3000 rpm. Checked the battery, which looked a little weak, so I replaced it. Started it up, still red, but battery showing 13.xx volts. No other symptoms except for the minder not being green. Runs strong, starts no problem, No issues with any of the electrics. Does anyone know if these volt monitors tend to fail? What else should I be checking?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Same as my bike. Stator was the culprit. Should be 14.2 volts.

·
Registered
177 Posts
also, check your wiring connections. Mine did the same thing a few weeks back, dealer was lubing the chain and checked things out, found a loose battery connection, and corrosion on the connections for my heated grips. I took it all apart, cleaned everything, applied dielectric grease to all connections.

I would also check the stator condition.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also, check your wiring connections. Mine did the same thing a few weeks back, dealer was lubing the chain and checked things out, found a loose battery connection, and corrosion on the connections for my heated grips. I took it all apart, cleaned everything, applied dielectric grease to all connections.

I would also check the stator condition.
I used wd on the connections. Could that cause it?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
WD-40 displaces moisture so it might not help but I don't think it would hurt.

I agree on the grounds and wiring being check well. Also check for any rub points on the harness. It only take a very small short to stop you, my KLR had a pinhead size short that stop me dead in the rain on the side of the road, took 3 hours to fins and 3 seconds to fix.

I haven't had any stator problem so can say for experience but from what I've seen on the board it's likely.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ordered the stator and rectifier. Can I ride while I'm waiting for parts? Mostly hwy on my commute, so should be revving high enough to charge most of the way. Anything else I need besides those 2 parts?
Thanks

·
Registered
575 Posts
ordered the stator and rectifier. Can I ride while I'm waiting for parts? Mostly hwy on my commute, so should be revving high enough to charge most of the way. Anything else I need besides those 2 parts?
Thanks
Without actually looking at the bike it's hard to tell. I would also clean all connections and check the ground just to be sure. If you are getting over 14 volts while at speed you should be fine for a few days. I was probably running like you are for a month before the battery just couldn't keep up. With my issue though it started out as an intermittent problem, coming and going, as the short in the stator was not constant. One day the bike would test fine, the next like yours.

There are a dozen threads here about this issue with advise from waaaaay more experienced members than me. I would urge you to look at those threads before continuing.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Thanks
I probably wouldn't chance it. When mine went it was with little notice...it'd be terrible being in heavy traffic to have your bike quit and your lights out as you're trying to coast to the side of the road with no lights even if it happened during the day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts