Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Versys 300 won't start because it's been sitting for weeks chained up downstairs. I could bother someone to jump it with their car but now's not the time.

Anyone can recommend a good jump start / battery booster unit that won't cost too much? Thanks

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
370 Posts
I bought an armor all brand jump pack on Amazon a few years ago for my bike. It is small and compact and works well.

Having said that, search on Amazon for positive reviews and pick one, you can't really go wrong.

·
Super Moderator
16,056 Posts

·
Administrator
8,836 Posts
Jumping=Short Battery Life

My Versys 300 won't start because it's been sitting for weeks chained up downstairs. I could bother someone to jump it with their car but now's not the time.

Anyone can recommend a good jump start / battery booster unit that won't cost too much? Thanks

As in the title, take the battery out and charge it for 6 hours with a proper motorcycle charger. Leave for up to 3 months. Jumping , even though AGM are to be able to take a fast charge, notice ALL battery manufacturers recommend using a proper motorcycle charger or to boost a bike if using a car , with the car turned OFF. The reason is that damage can occur on a severely discharged battery, it is also not good for your charging system. Kawasaki the bike runs on the alternator, the battery is for starting and as a auxiliary supply during idle RPM when the charging system can't keep up, particularly when the fan runs. On the Versys 650, the fan is around 80 watts or 25% of maximum stator output.

·
Super Moderator
7,675 Posts
Get a battery charger and it will self pay over time by saving on your battery and other related issue. C-Tex is the best in the market-IMHO.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yes it might be hard on the battery, but if you are not in a position to charge the battery the correct way a jump starter can get you going. They really are just for a weak battery not a dead one. Sometimes after setting for an extended time you just need a little help. If the battery is dead then a new battery is in your future. For a motorcycle, size of the package might be the most important thing. Small is good.

O-W not sure I understand the comment on it being hard on the charging system. Haven't you said that with our shunt style regulator system that it runs at 100% all of the time. So it powers the bike and anything left over is used to charge the battery. When the battery is fully charged then the extra is sent to ground. It is running a 100% output all of the time just sending it to different places. Is the charging system on his V 300 different?

·
Administrator
8,836 Posts
Yes it might be hard on the battery, but if you are not in a position to charge the battery the correct way a jump starter can get you going. They really are just for a weak battery not a dead one. Sometimes after setting for an extended time you just need a little help. If the battery is dead then a new battery is in your future. For a motorcycle, size of the package might be the most important thing. Small is good.

O-W not sure I understand the comment on it being hard on the charging system. Haven't you said that with our shunt style regulator system that it runs at 100% all of the time. So it powers the bike and anything left over is used to charge the battery. When the battery is fully charged then the extra is sent to ground. It is running a 100% output all of the time just sending it to different places. Is the charging system on his V 300 different?
100% correct, I might add, this goes for cars & for motorcycles, etc, if you watch the video post #3 with Joe, you notice he said to wait then try it. That would apply to a motorcycle , if jumping, have the car turned off, wait a couple minutes, try starting the bike with the car off,generally a car's charging system and battery are 3 to 5 times bigger/ more capacity than a bike.The battery if just discharged, that is something drained the battery over say 3 or 4 hours of sitting, will have a very low resistance, this low resistance will allow a much higher charging current than normal. Waiting while connected to a booster source, allows your discharged battery to come back up with a lower current, than if you just boosted immediately.What happens after, is I mentioned shorter life using a shunt regulator, that battery becomes a load rather than a source of auxiliary power during times such as when the fan runs.
Will there be doom and gloom in the X300 or the 2020 V650, not likely, they changed the winding configuration in 2012 and again in 2014. We still get stator failure, but from what I see, it appears that Kawasaki is converting to Series regulators on some models.
For now I have the plug and play on hold ,indefinitely, my parts are stuck somewhere between China and Canada. One thing I can say , and this is 98% sure that if you converted to a series regulator, that chances of having a stator failure , even at 60,000 miles would be a rare occurrence, having said that, there will be people getting 60,000 miles on their shunt regulator Versys 650 MK-3 , it is riding style and temperature/ riding conditions.
I really don't care if someone converts or not, eventually Kawasaki makes improvements , the 2015 wiring isn't one of them, wire is short length everywhere .

I am now looking at making instructions simpler . The plug and play was promising, unfortunately I don't like others being the guinea pig ,if it is going to fail, best for me to find out first hand, I prefer to fix my own mistakes. TTYL>:)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I have a "NOCO Genius G3500 6V/12V 3.5 Amp Battery Charger and Maintainer" for the V650 battery. It does a fine job of topping up the battery. I don't leave it plugged in 24/7 over the winter, just put it on every couple of weeks or so. Most winters the OEM battery didn't show any need to charge, though I didn't go more than about 3 weeks or so without riding typically. Now I live in a high altitude ski town, so winter riding will be less frequent and thus more need to charge it up.

·
Super Moderator
16,056 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the plug-in battery charger in my dad's garage which is like a 20 minute walk from where I live and where the bike is. Since that battery came with the bike in 2017, I think I'm going to just buy another battery. I have all my tools in my dad's garage, too, and also that battery tender I have, there. It's not the chargeable kind, just a regular plug-in battery tender.

Pushing the bike over there would be too much trouble and jumping the bike isn't good for the bike as some of you have mentioned. So, I'm not going to jump the bike.

Also for $80, I could just buy another battery and use the original one in the bike for a MacGyver-style survival experiment or to throw at someone if they threaten the family food supply.

Maybe I could have removed the battery from the bike itself and "jumped" it maybe?

Anyone know a good battery to buy for my Versys 300? I wonder if it's the same battery as the 650.

My father's garage is separate from his house so I won't be causing him any problems.

I might have to walk back and forth from there twice.

·
Administrator
8,836 Posts
I have the plug-in battery charger in my dad's garage which is like a 20 minute walk from where I live and where the bike is. Since that battery came with the bike in 2017, I think I'm going to just buy another battery. I have all my tools in my dad's garage, too, and also that battery tender I have, there. It's not the chargeable kind, just a regular plug-in battery tender.

Pushing the bike over there would be too much trouble and jumping the bike isn't good for the bike as some of you have mentioned. So, I'm not going to jump the bike.

Also for $80, I could just buy another battery and use the original one in the bike for a MacGyver-style survival experiment or to throw at someone if they threaten the family food supply.

Maybe I could have removed the battery from the bike itself and "jumped" it maybe?

Anyone know a good battery to buy for my Versys 300? I wonder if it's the same battery as the 650.

My father's garage is separate from his house so I won't be causing him any problems.

I might have to walk back and forth from there twice.

$80 US ? that is a lot . I have been running the AGM Yuasa for over 20 years. When I replaced my battery in the 07 Versys I had 6 years out of it, I had two options, one for $70 and one for $90. The $90 one had higher cranking amps and more plates. I bought the $70 one, because the physical size of both batteries is the same. The $90 one has thinner plates and thinner insulation between the plates. Or the $70 one had thicker plates and thicker insulation, Yuasa is a high quality battery. My point is, more isn't always better.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I would jump it the one time and ride it to your dad's garage. Then put it on the charger. After it is fully charged see if you still have problems after it sets. If the problem continues then get a new battery. In the future you could do your winter storage there on a tender.

Batteries and connectors can be fickle. I had a truck that every 6 months it wouldn't start or the instrumentation lights would blank. Disconnect the battery and reconnect everything was good. Thought it was the battery but a new one did the same thing. I replaced both battery cables no more problems.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts

I would recommend a battery charger rather than a battery powered jump start. It will be cheaper and more useful. Look for one that adjusts the current based on sensing voltage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts