Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Installed some Barkbusters. The worst part was pulling out the barends. Hopefully the 1 inch bar risers I'm getting next week will give enough clearance to fully lock the bars again. I like the way they look!
I also installed the Barkbusters and it took me quite some fiddelling. I loosened every screw on the handlebar and move it until i finally found the sweet spot. Only problem is I cannot move the levers further down, for a more off road-standing position.

Maybe the raisers should help. Would be interested how that works out for you!! How tall are they?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also installed the Barkbusters and it took me quite some fiddelling. I loosened every screw on the handlebar and move it until i finally found the sweet spot. Only problem is I cannot move the levers further down, for a more off road-standing position.

Maybe the raisers should help. Would be interested how that works out for you!! How tall are they?
They are 22mm (~7/8") so should give a significant improvement, I'll follow up once they're installed. Should be sometime end of next week.
This is the one I got:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/264413640548

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well on my second ride on my new to me 2017 x300 with 1200 miles I picked up a nice long staple in the rear tire!! I was able to get it home with the help of a can of fix a flat and a air. So I ordered up two rear tubes and a front tube so I would have spares. I've had tubeless tires on all of my several other bike and never a flat. I hope this is a one time gremlin.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well on my second ride on my new to me 2017 x300 with 1200 miles I picked up a nice long staple in the rear tire!! I was able to get it home with the help of a can of fix a flat and a air. So I ordered up two rear tubes and a front tube so I would have spares. I've had tubeless tires on all of my several other bike and never a flat. I hope this is a one time gremlin.
Mike, I replied to your PM. Also, sorry to hear that you got a flat on only your 2nd ride. Just about all of my current and previous bikes have or had tubeless tires. I always carried a plug kit and portable 12V compressor. Fortunately I've only had to use it twice in the last 15 years or so. Both times I was plugged and inflated in about 10 minutes time and back on my way. I always figured I'd have to call roadside service (which I have on all three bikes just in case) if I ever got a flat on the VX-300, Its good to know that fix a flat temporarily works on a innertube, How many miles were you able to travel on the fix a flat to get back home? I'll have to carry a can on the VX-300 now just in case.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mike, I replied to your PM. Also, sorry to hear that you got a flat on only your 2nd ride. Just about all of my current and previous bikes have or had tubeless tires. I always carried a plug kit and portable 12V compressor. Fortunately I've only had to use it twice in the last 15 years or so. Both times I was plugged and inflated in about 10 minutes time and back on my way. I always figured I'd have to call roadside service (which I have on all three bikes just in case) if I ever got a flat on the VX-300, Its good to know that fix a flat temporarily works on a innertube, How many miles were you able to travel on the fix a flat to get back home? I'll have to carry a can on the VX-300 now just in case.
I rode about 25 miles and then it held 33psi for two days while I was awaiting my tube. I was surprised although it was two small punctures.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nose job complete. Kind of a pain as you mount to the fairing and pray their sticky-tape adhesive is good enough.
20190828_163906_1567036020450.jpg

Handlebar risers improved riding position.
20190828_163912_1567036047359.jpg
And increased clearance for barkbusters with a slight tilt back.
20190828_163902_1567036034066.jpg

·
Registered
157 Posts
I finally found someone that has a Versys 650 so I could sit on it to see if I could flat foot with my boots are it's similar to the X 300. You can see my X 300 parked in the background in the wider picture.
The guy was really cool, a friend of someone in my family who also rides. I was offered the chance to ride it around the block but declined: I might become addicted without warning.

Definitely a nice bike. While I like my X 300, I would love to have the 650, too. Makes me greedy and selfish. So be it.

I also tossed the bike gently side-to-side and the weight doesn't seem bad compared to the 300.
And, I think the 2nd Gen dropped some weight if I'm not mistaken so that one must be even better but I'd take this one though.

The guy's 650 is a 2014 model, 1st Gen I think, right?
He was looking at the T-Rex crash bars I put on mine and said he would check them out online. He also rode my X 300 and said he like it.

I realized he didn't flat foot on the bike though, he was all tippy toes but managed the bike well anyway.

We went on a little ride by the water and someone with us fished and caught a fluke. Two Versys, one BMW Nine T and a Can Am Spyder.

We stopped by a dealer and I tried to sit on a new V-Strom XT for comparison, and was hanging off of it. I was afraid to stand the bike upright. I like Kawasaki anyway

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
19,023 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Installed these cheap Ebay handguards - they'll at least provide some wind protection.
Also installed this 'Monster' horn...I just added wires from stock horn so now have dual horns - very loud - sounds like a decent car horn now but doesn't sound like a (meep meep) bike...we'll see (and hear!).

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine worked well for about 1400 miles, now it does not seem to help as much. Main cells are kind of flat (I'm light guy 155 lbs).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I added the Givi engine guards. Fit was pretty good and the install took less than 20 minutes. I really like the look and they feel solid.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have also added a set of Shad SH23 hard cases. I really like the size and shape of these cases. The seem a little flimsy but only time will tell how they hold up. The price was good for the set.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Changes oil and filter after "break-in" period. Spent some time researching oil filters before settling on this one (photo). Very easy job to do, filter came out easily with a pair of channellocks. Oil amount was more than the 2.2 quarts listed on the manual, more like 2.5-2.6

Attachments

41 - 60 of 86 Posts