Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of oil do you recommend or use with your V? I'm debating whether to use synthetic or standard, and for how long before switching etc. Any tips would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
10W-40 of your favorite oil brand/line or something with similar viscosity that will work for your riding temperatures (15W-40, 20W-50 are good options if you don't start the bike under freezing conditions). What ever you use, as long as it's not energy conserving, it will be fine for your Versys. I use Rotella-T, but unlike some people who swear by one brand or another and wont anything but that favorite brand, I have yet to find conclusive proof that it makes that big a difference (including mineral vs. synthetic).

Kawasaki thinks you can run your oil/filter for 7500 miles between changes. If you do a lot of short trips, commute in high temperatures in summer, etc., probably they recommend to change it more often. Some people like to change it more frequently even when they do not ride in such severe conditions.

Gustavo

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Oils of higher than SAE 30 viscosity are not energy conserving rated but can still contain friction modifiers which are not wet clutch compatible. Just stick to JASO MA (motorcycle high friction applications) certified oil as recommended by Kawasaki, primarily in 10W40 weight, or up to 20W50 in hotter conditions... I use Amsoil synthetic motorcycle oil and still change it every 3000 Kms or so.
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0308_oil/index.html
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0310_oil/index.html

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
What type of oil do you recommend or use with your V? I'm debating whether to use synthetic or standard, and for how long before switching etc. Any tips would be appreciated, thanks!
I gave it a good quick break-in, redlining it by 100 Kms (60 miles) and I changed the oil with standard JASO MA certified 10W40 at 231 Kms (140 miles). It didn't burn any oil till 2100 Kms (1300 miles) when I switched to Amsoil synthetic motorcycle oil (JASO MA)... About 1500 miles should be enough to make the switch.
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0310_oil/index.html

·
Registered
420 Posts
My 2 cents is to stick with an oil listed in the manuel until its out of warrenty then,Rotella T 15w40,used it in a lot of my bikes inc a connie I put over a hundred K on.Its easy to get,does not shear down and has no ill effects on the clutch.As far as synth,I only run it when its called for, Like on my Triumph,to the average owner there is no reason to take on the extra expense of synthetic oil as most owners will never keep thier machines past a hundred thousand miles so the advantage of less startup wear is moot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.