Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got to thinking today - it's been just a bit more than one year and a week since I decided to jump back into motorcycling again, after years of absence (kid growing up, got hooked on running and cycling, etc. etc. etc.) I'm still not sure what made me stop by Dal Kawa in Hendersonville that early spring day in May, but I did. I seem to remember hearing somewhere about the new Kawa 250 Ninja and was curious about it. My buddy had a 250 Kawa scrambler way back in the late 60s that could run with the 650 English bikes and I was thinking about picking it up to use as a commuter ride. To make a long story short, I ended up at another dealer that had the bike I wanted, but they blew the deal by jacking the price up $500 above what they originally agreed to sell it for. (Boss says I gotta ask what the market will pay - Sorry!) I got pissed and drove back to Dal Kawa and bought the 500 that they had on the floor. (I didn't even realize that the new bikes don't have kick starters!) It was love at first sight - man, that was a great ride! I had to wait until after the weekend to pick it up and I must have driven by a dozen times to look in the window. Sort of forgot the commuting thing - over the next 8 months, I put nearly 14,000 miles on it before swapping for KawasiMoto. It was painful to leave it at the shop when I traded it in, but it went to a good home.
Now I'm 5,000 miles into the Vee experience and loving every minute of it - except for the seat. I'm gonna nuke that sucker!
Anyway, here's a shot from my first day on the Ninja - not a Vee photo, but it's all about the excitement of the first ride. I took the day off work and was at the store when they opened. 15 minutes later, a very happy customer walked out the door and took off across the Blue Ridge Parkway to the Great Smokies. I ended up with a little over 450 miles on it on that first day, and was back at the shop the next morning for the first oil change. On the 3rd day, it rolled over 1,000 miles.

The shot shows the new Ninja (the original Bad Influence!) sitting by the Blue Ridge Parkway, not far from Richland Balsam.
Here's to hoping that today will be a little dryer than yesterday. I'm planning to ride through the mountains to Tellico Plains to spend the night camping, eating, and maybe sipping on good Wild Turkey.
Life is good! :devil:

·
Registered
357 Posts
I too have asked myself that same question many times in the past 3 years. I jumped back into the saddle after 22 years. Career, kids, 4 marathons, multiple triathlons, etc. I bought a cruiser as my first bike. Drove 6 hours to Chattanooga to buy a leftover 2005 VTX in January of 2006 for $7200. What a great deal. I put 12,500 on that bike the first year, 13,800 the second year. Rode the dragon both years. Why did I wait so long?

Now I have a versys - love it - especially on the 20 mile commute to work - what a fun ride.

The best thing I did was make a deal with my wife when I bought the vtx to take the MSF safety course. Ohio subsidises it for $25. 6 hours of class room and 12 hours on the bike training. That has helped to keep me safe.:yeahsmile:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts