Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!
I am looking at skid plates for my Versys x 300. I already have the Givi crash bars installed and was looking for recommendations on a skid plate. I have checked out several such as the Ricochet, T-Rex, and SW Motech but have concerns that there might be mounting issues when used together. Also, I would prefer not to have to cut or modify any of the plastic coverings on the lower part of the bike. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I was thinking about getting this one in post #104 in the link to another thread below. It doesnt require any of the plastics to be cut, and it should be plenty strong enough to handle my mild trail riding conditions. Hell, the X300 isn't a dirt bike, so I dont beat it up off road. LINK:: What you did to your Versys-X today

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree that I don't have a dirt bike, but would like some protection down there nonetheless. I'll keep looking. Ali Express, Banggood, et.al. have their place, but my results with them have been mixed... George

·
Registered
185 Posts
I agree that I don't have a dirt bike, but would like some protection down there nonetheless. I'll keep looking. Ali Express, Banggood, et.al. have their place, but my results with them have been mixed... George
You do that. You might also want to do a search on the forum, there's been plenty of discussions on skid plates with several different options out there for the X-300, most require cutting or removing the lower plastics.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I’m happy with my T-Rex skid plate put o. 3.5 years and 30,000 miles ago. I’ve ridden plenty of gravel but little serious off road.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see that T-Rex has two listed for the 300. One, currently out of stock, looks super heavy duty and while I don't see the stock lower plastics in the "after" photos, it appears to actually cover all those areas anyway. A good looking unit.
The other one, in stock, is lighter duty and mounts a bit differently, and retains the stock plastic parts. While I might seem to be hung up about those parts, I just like the fact that they offer a bit of protection down there and while T-Rex's heavier model certainly looks to afford more protection, their lighter version should work fine for me, since, as stated, I won't be doing any hard core single track off road stuff. Just gravel, forestry type roads where I don't want to get dinged by a wayward rock, etc. Thanks for the suggestions! George

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the T-Rex one on mine. Works pretty well, I've heard a couple good bangs on there where I've been REALLY glad I bought it. I'm not riding over logs or anything, but there's a lot of loose rocks around here that tend to get picked up pretty easily. No cutting of any plastics, it fits right underneath the coverings, doesn't even really need extra bolts either. It's a minor inconvenience when having to do an oil change but not terrible, you just have to undo the plastic covers and one extra bolt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently installed the Ricochet on my Versys 300X and love it. The first test ride included a decent Jeep trail and the new skid plate handled a few decent rocks with no issues. You do need to remove all of the bottom plastics, so the bike has a bit of a different look (and one small wire kinda exposed on the right side). I haven't installed crash bars yet, but am seriously thinking about the Givi ones.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I have seen that wire...
The beefier T-Rex one is solid in the front and I am wondering what if any effect that would have on the heat coming off the exhaust lines.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had a weld failure near the end of summer on mine but I think it was due to a very crappy weld job to start, not exactly because of the heat. I also live in Phoenix and rode in 115 degree weather for a few months at a half hour a day, just to give you an idea of the conditions that I'm in. I'm sure where you're at you won't have the same heat issues that I do so it'll be just fine

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a weld failure near the end of summer on mine but I think it was due to a very crappy weld job to start, not exactly because of the heat. I also live in Phoenix and rode in 115 degree weather for a few months at a half hour a day, just to give you an idea of the conditions that I'm in. I'm sure where you're at you won't have the same heat issues that I do so it'll be just fine
Do you have the heavy duty one or the lighter version?
115! Brutal!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi All!
I am looking at skid plates for my Versys x 300. I already have the Givi crash bars installed and was looking for recommendations on a skid plate. I have checked out several such as the Ricochet, T-Rex, and SW Motech but have concerns that there might be mounting issues when used together. Also, I would prefer not to have to cut or modify any of the plastic coverings on the lower part of the bike. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
I installed a T-Rex skid plate and crash bars on my '19 X300. No modifications needed to any plastic, and I can remove the oil filter without removing or loosening the skid plate. I also like that it has sliders on the crash bars. Sometimes when I'm riding it off road in technical terrain, I forget I'm not on my KTM 520EXC, and I exceed the limits of the suspension and ground clearance. I have cased hard several times, with no ill effects to the skid plate. I also have a centerstand installed that I bought off of Amazon; it makes lubing and adjusting the chain a breeze, and fueling it easier. Since I also own a street machine, I put a Shinko knobby on the front and a MotoZ desert knobby on the rear. They are loud on the street, and I don't corner as hard, but they are real confidence boosters off road. YMMV

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just installed one I purchased on Amazon from seller FATExpress. No instructions in box but figured it out from photos in their ad. Seems adequate for my intentions with the x300. Would have gone with TRex but only thing they had was their heavy duty model which looked overkill for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Versys-X 300, 2020 Z900RS Cafe
56 Posts
I had an Amazon special skid plate that did incredibly well on gravel roads and such for the ~$70 I paid. The seller was Lorababer and as a funny aside, they used my review photos in their listing afterward. It did just fine for a couple years, until I high centered on it a few times trail riding. So, after punching some small holes in it and fracturing the mounting brackets I went with the T-Rex heavy duty. If you plan on trail riding your Versys you should NOT settle for less! I have beaten and abused mine and it has held up remarkably. The brackets mount through the frame replacing the engine mount bolts for insane rigidity. It also sweeps out on the sides to cover the lower portion of the engine cases from damage, incredibly useful for the number of times I've dropped it and been pinned on a rock or log. It has a cut out to access the drain plug and a removable cover to access the filter but I have found it easier to just remove the whole thing using the mounting screws when servicing.

Here are some photo's in case anyone wanted to see:
20210721_181100.jpg
20210721_181148.jpg

·
Registered
2019 Versys x300
63 Posts
I put T-rex I guess light duty one.
Great protection from road debris.
It's not GS or AT to make it "bulletproof".
Don't take x300 to rough terrain. Wasn't meant to be taken there.
The best sign where bike should be is oem tires on any bike. Also pivot for rear suspension doesn't like mud or sand.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts