Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the V and I am enjoying it. The bike is a hoot to ride. I am breaking it in like I stole it and finding on the highway I am looking for another grear. It seems to rev high on the highway. So High hi does the bike like to be ridden at?

·
Registered
875 Posts
4 me
Under 6k for sustained running
5.9K results in ~ 80mph
I know what you mean about the next higher gear,
that's because its a 650.
Continuous and frequent high revs shortens engine life
My 1 liter bike runs at 4.9K doing 80mph
If you want spend a lot of time riding faster than 80mph
without shortening engine life
should have gotten a 1 liter or bigger bike. IMO
2 ea his own

·
Registered
624 Posts
Put a 44t on the back and you won't be looking for that lost gear anymore.

Bob

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Original gearing is a bit short. Go to 15/43, and you'll be happier on the highway. With this gearing, you'll be in 6th at about 45/50 mph. The engine is pretty happy to cruise at 3200 rpm. If you want to accelerate, you'll have to downshift. It doesn't hurt to spin it at 7000 rpm, redline is at 10.5.

Sure, a big engine will enable you to attain higher speeds at lower rpm. But consider what an 1800 cc Gold Wing weighs and what the fuel mileage is. There's a thread here concerning someone who took one of these 650s to AK and back with no problem. It's in other bikes because it was an ER-6, but it uses the same engine. Ride it, enjoy, and keep up with the maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
I know what you mean about the next higher gear,
that's because its a 650.
I disagree. It is the final gear ratio. My XR250L will run highway speeds with its 6-speed transmission no problem.

My Ninja 650 never had me looking for another gear. Looks like they geared the Versys to be a dual sport instead of a cruiser.

I will probably end up doing the rear sprocket change sometime in the future.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for replying. I am thinking about the 44t sprocket change. The bike has plenty of speed for highway just seems like it is being held back at times.

As for a litter on the highwayt I sold my DL1000 for a Super Tenere 1200cc bike. I just got this bike as a lil play bike since my ST has been delayed. THe ST will be mostly my touring bike and for long rides. The V is fun but the seat stinks for long rides. I am 6'1 and I wish the seat would go back and up another 1 inch or 2.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Indicated 75 MPH, bone stock 2009 is revving at about 5600 RPM for me. The bike is comfortable in the 4000 to 7000 rev range all day long. I'd be careful saying that continuous use at this range shortens engine life. These engines are built to rev.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Continuous and frequent high revs shortens engine life
It's probably true, but are you likely to see your engine die as a result of it during the time of your ownership? I'd say probably not.

6K rpm is only 57% of allowable RPM range. If such RPM was detrimental to the engine, the redline would be placed below 6K rpm and not at 10.5k RPM.

Just make sure you have proper lubrication and the engine is warmed up.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Indicated 75 MPH, bone stock 2009 is revving at about 5600 RPM for me. The bike is comfortable in the 4000 to 7000 rev range all day long. I'd be careful saying that continuous use at this range shortens engine life. These engines are built to rev.
Sure the engines are balanced and designed to allow 10.5k rpm's
there is aprox 15% more piston cycles between 6k & 7k rpm's and like I
stated previously ...
2 ea his own

·
Registered
499 Posts
The V is fun but the seat stinks for long rides. I am 6'1 and I wish the seat would go back and up another 1 inch or 2.
The ultimate fix for that is the Russell day-long saddle. I'm 6'1" as well and that saddle fixed everything for me, except now I have to move forward to flat-foot (34" inseam).

·
Registered
842 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
It's probably true, but are you likely to see your engine die as a result of it during the time of your ownership? I'd say probably not.

6K rpm is only 57% of allowable RPM range. If such RPM was detrimental to the engine, the redline would be placed below 6K rpm and not at 10.5k RPM.

Just make sure you have proper lubrication and the engine is warmed up.
I have 5 yrs. (really 4 years) unlimited mileage warranty, what do I care?

I run full syn and change it (and filter) every 5K.

I don't know about you, but my bike, with stock gearing, is smooth as silk at between 6.1K and 6.4K.

Purring. :yeahsmile:

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'd say any RPM above 3..3,500, below that you've got precious little roll off capacity to fine tune the speed without the engine starting to lug. if you want to rev above the 8K mark then feel free, but that seems so uneccesary, unless you are overtaking or having to get a wriggle on.

Considering the 70+ is around 5K (with a 16t front sprocket) that leaves plenty of room for hooligan antics and if you have a heavy right hand mebbe some endorsements on your licence, no licence or Jail time depending on how much of a hooligan you were when caught

·
Registered
74 Posts
It ain't about 6th gear ratios.

I bought my V as a kick ass, have fun, sit up comfortable, twisty road scoot. I spend most of my good times in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears. I do not enjoy dropping into 1st gear in tight uphill switchbacks and stock gearing is just barely low enough to make it in 2nd. The gear gaps are about right from 2nd to 5th for me.

Bottom line - if you use the lower gears only to quickly get up to 6th - then consider taller gearing. If OTOH - you use V primarily to enjoy the twisties in 2nd thru 5th gears - keep gearing stock.

I would never sacrifice the very best twisty road performance for only marginal improvement in slab gearing. If slab gearing is the main priority then you probably bought the wrong bike.:cheers:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts