Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

New 2011 versys owner.

I am wondering what everyone cruises at going around town. I am not talking about highway driving, but local down (30mph to 50mph).

Breakin period it had me between 3k and 4k most of the time, which actually worked. Not much throttle response but enough just to putt around on.

I am trying to determine what the optimal RPM is on this bike.. on my 98 CBR it was around 5.5k for normal town riding (nothing aggressive).

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Between 4.5k and 6k. I don't like to go as low as 4k, because it really doesn't respond to throttle input that low in the rev range.
See now this is what i dont understand. If people are in the 4.5k to 6k, in order to have power, then i dont consider it to be a "low to mid" range bike..

Kawasaki states:

Tuned to deliver smooth, responsive power in the low to mid-rpm range for exceptional roll-on response – ideal for negotiating city traffic, tight backroads and anything in between.

I figure low to mid to be 3k-5.5k, def. not starting at 4.5k

The reason I started this thread is cause I see that a lot in the forums saying 5k is normalish for them.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Agreed 3's,4's & low 5's provide for easy cruising at and above legal Blvd speed limits.
You'll see and
We get to
"Ride your own Ride'"

FYI
5.9K in 6th is 80mph

Different Strokes for Different Folks

See now this is what i dont understand. If people are in the 4.5k to 6k, in order to have power, then i dont consider it to be a "low to mid" range bike..

Kawasaki states:

Tuned to deliver smooth, responsive power in the low to mid-rpm range for exceptional roll-on response – ideal for negotiating city traffic, tight back roads and anything in between.

I figure low to mid to be 3k-5.5k, def. not starting at 4.5k

The reason I started this thread is cause I see that a lot in the forums saying 5k is normalish for them.
Some people seem display a certain amount of bravado when in the control of a gasoline powered machine!

·
Registered
716 Posts
If I'm on a flat stretch, or going downhill, I'll cruise as low as 3.5K. Going up a hill or wanting to quickly accelerate, (pass), I drop it down a gear, (which would likely bring it up about 0.5k rpm). If you don't need that rapid acceleration, the motor pulls from 3.5k just fine, IMO.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Between 3k and 4k at city speeds is pretty reasonable, but it'll lug any lower than that in 5th or 6th. As far as being a midrange machine, 4-7000 RPM is midrange in a modern motorcycle engine. 5K is definitely normal on the highway, but unnecessary in town. Generally speaking, more revs = more fuel. Cruise in as high a gear as you feel comfortable.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I find that I'm usually running between 3 and 4 K in town. I rarely need the torque that's delivered at 6 to 8 K.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Between 4.5k and 6k. I don't like to go as low as 4k, because it really doesn't respond to throttle input that low in the rev range.
Correction: 4-5k.

This morning when commuting in heavy traffic with nowhere to go I consciously rode like I would in town, and then checked my rpms.
I cruised steadily at around 4k rpm, any lower and I would downshift, any higher than 5k with no change in the traffic situation around me and I would upshift.

·
Registered
255 Posts
RPMs will vary with everyone. Most important for me is weight. I weigh about 150 lbs. and if I weighed 250 lbs I would need to ride differently - this would include what gear at a given speed and what RPM in a given gear for rapid acceleration.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
At basic around town stuff i usually. Am at 3000 to 4000 and on normal roads just riding around i would be between
3500 and 5000

·
Registered
929 Posts
I'm 235lbs or so, and my normal cruising RPM in traffic when commuting is between 3500 and 4500 RPM in 4th / 5th gear. That range works well for me, and I don't feel a need to add power. If I need more, I just need to twist the throttle. :D

Cheers,
Dave C

·
Registered
873 Posts
It seems that the 3-4k range is the norm for tame riding. Occasionally I like to ride above 5K at slower speeds just because I like the way it sounds.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts