Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new rider and I would like some new tires that I could get. What I am looking for:
Something that would do better offroad, hitting gravel, sand, etc.
And yet, something I could go a couple hundred miles on the interstate and not worry about having to buy new tires right when I get back from the trip.

If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it.

Jeremy:thanx:

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Every tire type has trade offs. More off road grip means less grip and feel on pavement and possibly faster wear. There is no such thing as a single tire that will perform well off road but also decently well on pavement in my experience. It is a similar issue with suspension settings. What works well on soft surfaces does not work on hard surfaces and vise versa. The secret I guess is to pick a point of compromise that works for you.

That said I would suggest the Scorpion Trails as perhaps an acceptable point of compromise. They are a 95% street 5% dirt tire so while they don't feel quite as good as sport touring tires on pavement, they don't make as significant sacrifice in pavement performance as a more aggressively trended tire. They have a decent amount of grip on a dirt or gravel road, at least when new. Their main drawback IMO is fast wear. I got 6000 miles to the exposed belts on the rear and 4000 miles to the wear bars on the front.

This may not work for everyone but I have gone back to using sport tour tires *PR3* for their longer life and better pavement performance and just take it slow and cautious when I venture off pavement.

See the link http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34122

·
Super Moderator
20,588 Posts
Metzler Tourances on both my Vs. (130/80x17 and 150/70x17 - BOTH are rears.)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I've wussed out on all but the easiest of gravel and dirt fire roads. I just don't want to drop the V, hurt myself, or dik around in sand or stream crossings with such a top heavy beast. So I'm using PR3's and they work great for canyon carving and an occasional off-pavement easy side trip. The Scorpion Trails have gotten good reviews here for the type of riding you're wanting to do.

·
Premium Member
16,299 Posts
I stick with the PR3's and for what little bit of dirt it hit they work fine...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Many go with a Continental TKC 80 Front 120/70-17 and rear Shinko 705 150/70-17 or Full Bore 150/70-17. Low cost and high mileage. If you want to ride more off road, then probably better to consider a lighter bike with more travel or do some suspension mods to the Versys.

·
Administrator
8,303 Posts
BT023 Bidgestone and works well here. Wet Dry and some gravel as long as you dont puch it on gravel.

:welcome::goodluck:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Many go with a Continental TKC 80 Front 120/70-17 and rear Shinko 705 150/70-17 or Full Bore 150/70-17. Low cost and high mileage. If you want to ride more off road, then probably better to consider a lighter bike with more travel or do some suspension mods to the Versys.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got over 10,000 miles on my first set of Pirelli Scorpion Trails. 2 k into my 2nd set. My miles are mostly commuting with some counter steering on a lightly traveled road near my work. Plus 2-3 trips up the mountain (Haleakala) per month. I like em.

·
Super Moderator
20,588 Posts
Interesting, why both rear?
Just like kiko said.... PLUS- Gary in South America (DBD34) got as much as 36,000 miles out of his 130/80x17 rear Tourance on the front of his V, and LOTS of us (including jdrocks) have gone this route.

My experience...? So far w/ about 12,000 kms, my front has worn from a tread depth of .329 to .345" new, to .272 to .295" NOW, in the center. The rear, still serviceable, will be replaced long before the front....:cool:

The down-side is that INITIALLY after the install of the 130/80 my Vs felt like they would NOT turn, but by 100 miles, I didn't even notice any change at all. Because they are almost as high as a 19" 120/70 (I believe about 1/3" diff) the rake and trail change somewhat.

Because of that initial feeling I don't think I would "trade" bikes on a ride w/ anyone who hasn't already done the same thing to theirs (don't want 'pavement-rash' on MY Vs...:rolleyes:), altho' I DO believe it is a good mod.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have pilot road 2s on my sv and bt023son the versys. When they both wear out I'll be slapping on a new set of pilot road 3s.

Very impressed with the road 2s, and the 3s can only be better! The bt023 are ok. Never had any complaints with them either tho...

·
Registered
873 Posts
I just bought a pair of Pirelli Scorpion trails. They look great compared to the stockers, I can't wait to mount them. I just have one question, does anyone know what the two little red dots for?

·
Premium Member
16,299 Posts
I just bought a pair of Pirelli Scorpion trails. They look great compared to the stockers, I can't wait to mount them. I just have one question, does anyone know what the two little red dots for?

If i'm not mistaken its to line up with your air valve stem.

·
Super Moderator
20,588 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts