Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I personally feel that my 2015 Versys 650 is best between 65 & 70mph.
I can push it up between 75 & 80mph at times, but the vibes increase just a little.

the other day, I was doing above 80 with some friends, maybe go to 85mph and it was a bit windy that day, but man, the windscreen was shaking a lot, so I had to back down under 75mph again. I do have the extra wind deflector installed up on my windscreen and everything was set on the lowest position.

Just wondering what speeds you all enjoy on the highway.

Greg
Orlando, Fl.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hola,

Between 65-75 mostly, for me best feeling at that speed, not to slow, not to fast.
But 90% I will cruise at 70. Sometimes 100, but on short time just to clean bike, because my ride is 90% 45-50 mph (village)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Buck 40 here (140mph) ...but only when the turbo kicks it.:surprise:

I usually cruise at around 5000 to 5500 rpm range. Think the clock shows around 70 to 75 mph zone. This is of course on long strait sections.

In the twisties I range between 40 and 80 mph.:wink2:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I tend to cruise at around 80-83 mph according to my speedo, which really translates to about 77-80 mph. I used to cruise at around 88 mph indicated, but my Flux capacitor didn't work, so I slowed down a bit.

But I'm also on a V1

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yeah, I'm old but I was young once and still I don't really get the obsession with speed. I rarely ride much over the posted limit, so the highest I've ever seen on my 15's speedo is about 85 while passing someone. Both the bike and I seem much happier on two-lane roads with a post 50 to 60 mph limit than on Interstates doing 65 or 70. Not only does the bike seem to handle better at 50 to 60, but I spend less time contemplating dying before and I can get my $$$ worth out of Social Insecurity.

If I'm really in a hurry to get someplace far away, I'd prefer driving a car - comfy seats, cup holders, AC/heat as needed, quiet, and a anti-collision computer to slam on the brakes far faster than I could react at 75+. And the kicker is at high speed, the Versys's gas mileage, like most cycles, sinks to very car-like numbers... Something about the v-squared thing in the old HS physics formula for Kinitic energy and an ADV bikes really lousy aerodynamics!

To me a motorcycle is all about (a) making the milk-run to the grocery store interesting or (b) exploring country and mountain roads, preferably dirt ones...

YMMV,

dm

·
Registered
105 Posts
Living in NSW, as an L plater (one month to go til I'm eligible for the upgrade to a P), I'm restricted to 90 kph, which is about 56 mph. I'm still not comfortable on the motorways (in Australia, most motorways have a limit of 100-110 kph), so 90 feels pretty reasonable, except there's a fair bit of traffic blowing past me on a regular basis. My max comfort level is around 100 (62 mph); anything over that, I'm outside of my comfort zone. Just a matter of experience, of course.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
70 is about right for me. That's for basic interstate highway riding. In the city on the highways I just move with traffic, and generally stay in the right lane. Around here the speed could be anywhere from 60-85 in the right lane. On the open road I try to minimize passing or being passed by large trucks, which usually puts me at about 70mph. Any faster and it becomes work rather than fun.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I just cruised in to work at 70-77 today. Traffic was really weird and I just didn't feel like pushing.

The fuel economy boost was pretty nice.

·
Premium Member
16,191 Posts
On my 650 with a 16t front sprocket. 80-95mph was the sweet spot. On my 1000 about the same.......

·
Premium Member
7,848 Posts
Sweat spot on my 09 is around 85MPH. Speed for me is on the track with four wheels. Bike is for adventure only and single all the time.:wink2:

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Answering the title of the thread, 55 mph is most comfortable. As speeds increase above that I can't really take in the scenery and become much more focused on the road and what is coming up.

I try and look several vehicles ahead and anticipate what might happen.

Out in the middle of nowhere Wyoming I ran sustained triple digits without a hiccup from the '11 Versys and it had the tall touring with adjustable extension on it. Of course the 2nd gen is less a wall in the wind than the 3rd gen

·
Registered
181 Posts
Somewhere under 80mph. The 650 is kinda buzzy and more pleasant under 70mph. Not the most stable bike either at higher speeds compared to previous bikes.

My biggest issue is my right hand pointy finger and thumb go numb from the vibes and it takes a week to get feeling back. I’m trying out some grip puppy’s but if it keeps up I’ll be switching bikes. Never had that issue before.

I have a kaoko on the bike and am not leaning weight on my hands or death gripping, it’s the high speed vibes.

·
Premium Member
16,191 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,433 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
My "comfortable speed"...?

Usually 10 to 20 kms OVER the limit. Along w/ a VERY strict visual cross-check for LEOs.

;)
Pretty much agree. 8-9 mph over in the US, except closer in towns, one really doesn't have to worry too much about official interactions with LEO's.

Except for guzzling gas, the 650 seems to really like running at 6k rpm and up, stock gearing. I will say that this bike is ridden quite hard in all the fun places.

·
Premium Member
7,848 Posts
Somewhere under 80mph. The 650 is kinda buzzy and more pleasant under 70mph. Not the most stable bike either at higher speeds compared to previous bikes.

My biggest issue is my right hand pointy finger and thumb go numb from the vibes and it takes a week to get feeling back. I’m trying out some grip puppy’s but if it keeps up I’ll be switching bikes. Never had that issue before.

I have a kaoko on the bike and am not leaning weight on my hands or death gripping, it’s the high speed vibes.
Going numb should be temporary and not as you say. Try open end gloves if you can or soft gloves and see if it makes any difference. Talk to a doctor if possible. I am 62 and do get numbness on my right but its just temporary. If its bike vibration then it should effect both your hands not just one.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Loosen up on your hand grip and tighten up on your tank grip. This causes your legs to support you in the saddle and forces you to use the bar for support less.

I've been told to imagine my next rent check is between my inner thigh and my gas tank, and it has to stay there.

I didn't believe it till I tried it. It takes some getting used to (gaining strength in those muscles), but it works surprisingly well.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Engine is smoothest from about 68 to 83 mph between 5000 and 6100 rpm, although it feels pretty good and very solid going flat out at 120 mph. :surprise: The suspensions work well at 80+.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts