Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to replace the low beam headlight bulb on my Gen3 650 yesterday. What a royal pain! Even after removing the right side plastics access is still very poor. Anyway when I finally got the spring off, the bulb fell out and also a second part that I can't identify. Since I couldn't figure out what it did or even how it would attach to the new bulb, I ended up re-assembling everything w/o it. At least the light works now. But if anyone can tell me what this part is, and where it is supposed to go, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

dm

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,822 Posts
I believe that it's part of the headlight bulb base that somehow fell off when you removed it. Take a look at the bulb you took out (IF you can find it).

:goodluck:

·
Super Moderator
7,678 Posts
Interesting, there wasn't a comparable piece on the bulb I put in (a Sylvania). I guess it is not needed now.

Thanks

dm
As long as the Bulb is proper fitted , its in position, and its working fine, no worries on the part. Thanks for the feed back.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
It may be meant to insulate the bulb's heat, preventing it from melting your headlamp housing... Then again, it might be unnecessary. I suppose we might eventually find out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you replace an LED bulb with incandescent? Looks like a base adapter for an LED bulb an incandescent bulb would not have that and be made as one part.
Strangely, no. The old bulb was marked exactly the same as the Sylvania "base" bulb I put in. And no matter how I or the guy at the local auto parts store looked at it, we could not figure out how that thing fit onto/over/into the old bulb!

I'm interested as to how folks substitute in LED bulbs, and which LEDs they used. I looked at the LED bulb that the auto parts store said I could use and no way in heck was it ever going to get installed in that tight space. Has somebody done a tutorial on how to do it on a Gen3? Particularly w/o having to rip the entire bike apart?

Part of the issue I was having is that the pdf manual I bought claims to cover 2010-2018, but of course all the details for changing headlight bulbs is for the Gen2 - I don't see anywhere in the manual where it shows Gen3.

Thanks again

dm

·
Registered
62 Posts
Strangely, no. The old bulb was marked exactly the same as the Sylvania "base" bulb I put in. And no matter how I or the guy at the local auto parts store looked at it, we could not figure out how that thing fit onto/over/into the old bulb!

I'm interested as to how folks substitute in LED bulbs, and which LEDs they used. I looked at the LED bulb that the auto parts store said I could use and no way in heck was it ever going to get installed in that tight space. Has somebody done a tutorial on how to do it on a Gen3? Particularly w/o having to rip the entire bike apart?

Part of the issue I was having is that the pdf manual I bought claims to cover 2010-2018, but of course all the details for changing headlight bulbs is for the Gen2 - I don't see anywhere in the manual where it shows Gen3.

Thanks again

dm
I was fed up of the extremely poor power of the stock halogen high and low bulbs so replaced them with LEDs.

The bike is a major PITA for such jobs. Had to remove the side fairings and the front cowling, just to replace light bulbs? Terrible...

Anyway, the job is pretty straightforward, after the fairings and cowling has been removed.

Be careful

To not break any push and lock pins - there are a total of eight of them; two on the upper front cowling, four on the lower front part of the front lower cowling and two at the bottom of the front lower cowling. Hope this made sense else I'll post pics. No matter if you break some, there are plenty available; it is a common part even in cars.

To not break the small studs jutting out of the fairing inner surface, that seat into rubber bushes that hold the fairing against the frame/against another part of another fairing. If this breaks, the fairing will rattle and a new one will need to be bought.

To not break the sliding locks that hold the upper front cowling to the lower part. Same hassle as the studs above.

To align all parts exactly to one another, check that there are no gaps with one another and then replace the Allen bolts. Best is to assemble the fairings and cowlings and check visually as well as by shaking them together to ensure a perfect fit.

That part which fell out of your bike is the base of the bulb that secures it to its seat up against the reflector from the outside. The indented tongue pieces on three sides are to ensure alignment. The retaining spring then presses the base against the seat to ensure that the bulb is not loosely fitted.

If the base fell out on its own, this means that your bike seems to have had a really old model halogen bulb as, all halogens today have this base fixed to the bottom of the bulb with small spot welds.

If you plan to install LEDs, I very strongly recommend a model identical to the one whose Amazon link I am posting or one that is fanless. Be sure to align the LED elements horizontally in relation to the reflector; the adjustable base will let you do this.

Finally, here is a Gen 3 PDF manual for you.

The Service Manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ukmkSd7rdNb9a5r0dPNbN4yntp6GVtF9/view?usp=sharing

The Parts Catalogue: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PA2ItQk94OLacb8MNRSDvnSkpplaHtY4/view?usp=sharing

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07GXKQQ9W/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apap_8BimnYjP5fgHJ

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,836 Posts
I was fed up of the extremely poor power of the stock halogen high and low bulbs so replaced them with LEDs.

The bike is a major PITA for such jobs. Had to remove the side fairings and the front cowling, just to replace light bulbs? Terrible...

Anyway, the job is pretty straightforward, after the fairings and cowling has been removed.

Be careful

To not break any push and lock pins - there are a total of eight of them; two on the upper front cowling, four on the lower front part of the front lower cowling and two at the bottom of the front lower cowling. Hope this made sense else I'll post pics. No matter if you break some, there are plenty available; it is a common part even in cars.

To not break the small studs jutting out of the fairing inner surface, that seat into rubber bushes that hold the fairing against the frame/against another part of another fairing. If this breaks, the fairing will rattle and a new one will need to be bought.

To not break the sliding locks that hold the upper front cowling to the lower part. Same hassle as the studs above.

To align all parts exactly to one another, check that there are no gaps with one another and then replace the Allen bolts. Best is to assemble the fairings and cowlings and check visually as well as by shaking them together to ensure a perfect fit.

That part which fell out of your bike is the base of the bulb that secures it to its seat up against the reflector from the outside. The indented tongue pieces on three sides are to ensure alignment. The retaining spring then presses the base against the seat to ensure that the bulb is not loosely fitted.

If the base fell out on its own, this means that your bike seems to have had a really old model halogen bulb as, all halogens today have this base fixed to the bottom of the bulb with small spot welds.

If you plan to install LEDs, I very strongly recommend a model identical to the one whose Amazon link I am posting or one that is fanless. Be sure to align the LED elements horizontally in relation to the reflector; the adjustable base will let you do this.

Finally, here is a Gen 3 PDF manual for you.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07GXKQQ9W/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apap_8BimnYjP5fgHJ
That is the owners manual

1 - 13 of 13 Posts