street names. I would love to have just some all around
discusscions about the GPS and find which one is the best
for the V.
YOUR OPINIONS MATTER

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have been wanting to ask the same question. I know zero about GPS
I thought most of it boiled down to preference, but there has to be many pros and cons to every unit

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
It depends how you define "best" - what are you going to use it for?

For most people it seems the answer is a Garmin Zumo (450 or 550) is "best", but some of my friends that do endurance rallies say a 276/376 are much "better" for their use. Then you get people who swear that their TomTom or Magellan are much, much "better" than anything else. Maybe they are right, I can't say it's not a good option for them... :)

If I had to buy a new GPS today, I'd probably buy a Zumo. Comes with a RAM mount and everything else you need to hook it up to the bike. OTOH, I suppose it hasn't convinced me enough that it's worth the ~$600, because I still haven't bought one. ;)

Gustavo

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I have a Zumo 550 and it is great. It really does depend on whether or not you want to spend that much for a GPS that is designed for a motorcycle. Big points for the screen which is a little small (but it is for a bike) as it is very visible in full sunlight and it automatically switches to make it easier to view when it gets dark. It is water resistent (haven't tested it though). Left hand controls are nice, but I don't find that I need them very often. I am sure other GPSs do this, but capturing tracks is pretty cool for recording your rides. The mount is very secure and has a special locking screw if you want to leave it on the bike (I never do). I have Speedy's mount and it puts it in a great spot. I comes with everything you need in terms of wiring, as well as auto mounts so that it is easy to use in the car, too.

I will post some pictures when I can get out to take them.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have the Garmin 60Csx. It's ok, screen is small, no voice prompts - I wouldn't recommend it today for a GPS for the motorcycle. I bought it because I needed a good all around GPS - one that I could use in the car, on the bike and the trail. That was difficult and this is what I came up with. I'm used to it's small size and I use a RAM mount that places the screen in my peripheral vision. It works for me.

If you want a good dedicated motorcycle GPS - I'd go for the Zumo or the TomTom. I've tried the Zumo on a friends bike and I really liked it much better than my 60Csx. The downside of the Zumo is that it doesn't come with everything you need like the RAM mount (that is extra) and so is the bluetooth headset (bluetooth isn't available on the 450). The TomTom comes with all of these things but I've read some negative reviews on that GPS.

Buying a GPS takes a lot of research and decision making. Tradeoffs are all part of the process. You have to look deep into the product information to see what you get and what you don't get. Then see how much those extra pieces will cost. I decided on my 60Csx because it was the best all around choice but I traded away voice navigation - something I really wanted but couldn't get in a trail GPS. I was thinking about the Magellan Crossover but it had problems as well. When I bought the Garmin 60Csx - I also had to buy maps and mounts as well.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The downside of the Zumo is that it doesn't come with everything you need like the RAM mount (that is extra)
Why do you say that? This what they say comes in the box:

What's in the Box:

* zūmo 550
* Preloaded City Navigator® NT for North America or Europe (full coverage)
* MapSource® City Navigator North America NT DVD or City Navigator Europe NT DVD (full unlock)*
* Motorcycle mount with mounting hardware
* Vehicle suction cup mount with integrated speaker**
* Dashboard disk
* Carrying case
* AC charger
* Vehicle power cable
* Motorcycle power cable
* USB cable
* Security screwdriver
* Custom caps (silver and black)
* Garmin stickers
* Owner's manual on disk
* Quick reference guide
I am pretty sure the RAM mount is included with your new Zumo.

Gustavo

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Is the little ball the RAM mount? Mine came with that. as well as hardware to attach to the handlebar or clutch lever. If you get Speedy's mount you just drill the holes in the plate to match the motorcycle mount.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Why do you say that? This what they say comes in the box:
I am pretty sure the RAM mount is included with your new Zumo.
Gustavo
Color me wrong. :p

I don't think it's the RAM mount, though - thats a specific product and far better than the setup that you'll get from Garmin. Unless, I'm not right on that one either.

The mount I bought from Garmin for my GPS60CSx was quite lame but it worked for a season and then I had to put silicone on it because it eventually wore out. Then when I got my new bike I found a way to transfer it from the old bike and use it for awhile. Then finally I gave in and bought the RAM mount for it from GPSCity.Com. Works better and the hardware is much better as well.

·
Registered
196 Posts
GPSMAP 60csx

Which GPS system is the best for rhe V. also which
gps mounts are better than others. which gps is
waterproofe also can your hear it when it announceces
street names. I would love to have just some all around
discusscions about the GPS and find which one is the best
for the V.
YOUR OPIONS MATTER
I like this unit because it also does geocaching and works well for hiking/Biking/Motorcycling. Also good for boating. The Garmin Colorado units also are units I would consider. Doesnt talk-But i couldnt here one that did at speed anyways w/o a plug in for my helmet:D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Garmin 2720 - might be what you want.

These Garmin 2720 units originally retailed for about $900!! You can find them new or refurbished for anywhere between $140 to $300+. Lots of motorbike mounts for them. Waterproof, talking directions, big buttons, nice trip computer etc etc. Downside - no battery. Has to be hooked up to 12v - no big deal really but makes setting up routes away from the bike slightly kludgey as you need the ac adapter - hard to sit in a café en route and tool around with it.

I also have an original Quest that can be had on eBay for about $150. Small, has rechargeable battery, talks directions, waterproof, sunlight readable screen etc. Good if you want small, battery powered - interface a bit annoying IMHO.

I prefer the 2720 because of aging eyes - it sucks getting old! It's safer for me not to have to squint and try and make out what something says.

I also have a Garmin 200W which is fantastic for the money but is not waterproof and the screen gets washed out in direct sunlight. I use it in the car as it is very easy to use. It is fast - reroutes almost immediately and is set up to talk in a British accent - reminds me of my primary school teacher. "Hall! Are you paying attention?"

I ALSO have a Magellan 2200T which is waterproof etc and the screen is not too bad outside - they are cheap and can be upgraded to the latest maps, interface etc. Lots of bikers use them apparently.

I need to get rid of some of these! I have terrible GAS - gear acquisition syndrome!

Les Hall, Dallas

p.s. Amazon had the Zumo 450 on sale for $400 yesterday. ALSO - I LOVE RAM mounts they are the best. Touratech might look trick and everything but RAM simply rock. I have used them to attach expensive cameras to cars and other places. They are interchangeable - buy a new GPS? No big deal, just buy a new cradle no need to buy the whole mount. They also do mounts for iPods, phones, laptops, ham radio, fishing poles etc etc. If they did a chewing gum holder I probably would get it - come to think of it, that's a really good idea.:thumb:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've been using my Garming Vista HCx with a Ram mount and it works fine if you keep an eye on it as you go - it doesn't have audio you can tap into so you can buzz right past your next turn if you're not watching.

The unit is tiny in comparison to a Zumo and certainly more complicated to operate while your riding, but I already owned it and it's self-contained. I have a couple Nuvi's for the cars and they're great - I had considered getting an Aquabox to see if I could mount one of them up on the bike but haven't really needed it yet and am having a hard time justifying another GPS for the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Color me wrong. :p

I don't think it's the RAM mount, though - thats a specific product and far better than the setup that you'll get from Garmin. Unless, I'm not right on that one either.
Just bought the Zumo 450 last week. It came with a RAM mount. I opened the box and had it wired, installed and navigating within 30 mins-using only the Versys tool kit!

It is very easy to use (I have never owned a GPS before and as I said, was navigating like a pro in 30 mins), waterproof, easy to read and best of all, locks securely in place for when you have to jump off your bike for a minute.

I bought it from Amazon for $399 and am very happy with it. It got me from New York through the back woods of Pennsylvania and back home to Nova Scotia with a few good way points in between. Found coffee shops (not just Starbucks) and fuel whenever I needed it.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I have a TomTom Rider 2. Its great, totally user friendly, comes with complete mounting kit and blue tooth set up with headset. If you choose you can receive and make phone calls while on the move.

BlueTooth Stuff

Mounted on the V

I made my own mount, but it comes with a complete RAM set up and option to hard-wire it.

Only drawback, its spendy, but I've had mine for 2.5 years and wouldn't be without it.

Machog

·
Registered
76 Posts
One of those gps companies needs 2 team up with a helmet maker & make something where I don't have 2 keep looking at a device. BTW has anyone seen the advance navagation coming with the new Garmin line out early next year?! It's FRAKIN MINDBLOWING!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Gps

Man I work for Garmin and I still use the older Quest model. It is small has voice comands (if you want them) and has a 20 hr battery life. Just incase you need to walk out of some where in the woods. They are also cheap on E-Bay!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts