• vegitable oil

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What would you recommend I use to mount my tires for lubricant. The professional lubricants require the purchase of a gallon or more and I only am mounting two tires which makes this impractical. Also I don't want to gum up the micro beads that need to move inside the tire when mounting.

(It does not seem there is a way to edit or delete the poll I created to add more options and fix spelling)

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Think I'm going to try the armor all idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

Forum does not allow you to edit or delete poll, hence unique spelling of vegetable ;)

The front tire has two red dots about 1.5 inches apart on the sidewall. I know what a single red dot is supposed to mean, what about two red dots?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
dawn , ajax, or any other dish soap with some water mixed in... or windex

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,822 Posts
I use commercial tire lube I buy from a tire shop (small jar) or WD40, and I've read that you can use "personal lubricants" such as KY Jelly.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I've used it exclusively for 30+ years and never experienced anything remotely close to that. Nor has anyone else I know. But to each their own.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I've used it for over 50 years with no problem............just lucky maybe, or I use a soap that doesn't have sodium hydroxide as an ingredient. I've actually used plain old spit a time or two when nothing else was available. Is that corrosive?

Now I just let someone else change the tires.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
ive personally never seen soap eat thru a aluminum rim... but i have seen fix a flat eat up aluminum rims multiple times... thats why unless its a steel trailer tire i dont touch the stuff.... ill use a plug and or slime

·
Super Moderator
18,822 Posts
...I've actually used plain old spit a time or two when nothing else was available. Is that corrosive?....
I guess it would depend on what you just ate or drank (ESPECIALLY if you just 'hurled'...).

:yeahsmile:

:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
ive personally never seen soap eat thru a aluminum rim... but i have seen fix a flat eat up aluminum rims multiple times... thats why unless its a steel trailer tire i dont touch the stuff.... ill use a plug and or slime
Yes. I suspect that had something to do with the rim in the article that was posted.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
943 Posts
I use the no-mar tire lube paste. I think when I bought the bar they were running a special and the paste was free.
That's what I use. The last batch was really thick so I put it in a pan on the stove and added some water. Best stuff I've found.

Besides - they are on my way to work.

:wink2:

I think that most of the parts stores carry tire change lube of one kind or another.

For everyone else - here's a nice article.....
Easy way to ruin your wheels

1 - 20 of 21 Posts