Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

What I did to my Versys:

11K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Mawson 
#1 · (Edited)
Here are pics of my grooved tires and the rubber taken off the front and rear, as well as a rear inner fender on the battery box, and my Zeta handguards on Tag Metals T2 taperered aluminum handlebars (YZ Double High), and my wind screen cut out of a Ski-Doo windshield...

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Muzzy header... and you can see the baffle plate I added in the slip-on. Hepco & Becker crashbars installed without obtrusive side covers. Seat fits well raised about 1/4" in front (with 1/8" steel plate, washers and longer bolts).
My 3/4" longer oil filter is a tight fit with the header. (about 1/16" clearance, installed) I just pull off my slip-on, and push on collector (end of header) a bit to change oil filter.

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
Happy Trails skidplate fitted on Hepco & Becker crashbars. Can you spot the damage done from falling off a dirt road onto the grass at about 30 mph? There is no damage... You can see the 1/4" aluminum plate on top of valve cover to seal off PAIR valve in the 4th pic.

Attachments

#5 ·
Hi Invader,

I really like the mods you've made. A couple questions...

1. how much louder is the bike with the exhaust set up you have ( I am considering an Arrow System)

2. is there a tax and duty exemption when parts are shipped across the border from the US?

Thanks,
Colin

#7 · (Edited)
It was too loud and brash so I had a domed baffle plate welded on the core. It's about 1/16" smaller in diameter than the outlet's inner diameter, and held 1 1/16" away from outlet by three 1/4" wide tabs, all of 16 gauge stainless steel. It sounds deep and mean with the header's larger downtubes and collector, but not too loud anymore...
My 3/4" longer oil filter is a tight fit with the header. (about 1/8" clearance, installed) I just pull off my slip-on, and push on collector (end of header) a bit to change oil filter.
I got the complete Muzzy exhaust from Ebay by offering $360 + $65 shipping to Canada by USPS. I only had to pay taxes on about $250 declared value + $5... Always get stuff shipped via USPS (Postal Service) from USA to avoid brokerage fees. UPS is a killer.

#6 ·
Great pictures. I really like the belly pan and crash bars, might have to look into those mods.

Nice looking bike for sure, not your moma's Versys!

Oh, the windshield looks factory and functional.

#12 · (Edited)
I just had to ground down the front skidplate mounts and use the longer bolts that came with it, to fit with H&B crash bars. Happy Trails' skidplate isn't a straight easy bolt on, crashbars or not. I had to heat and open up the front right bend, and ground all mounts straight. The plates then have to be drilled to install, and the front one is too short, leaving a gap underneath. I'll make a larger front plate for it soon.
Here are pics of the front H&B crashbars mount... The crashbars and sturdy tapered aluminum handlebars with Zeta hanguards have already paid themselves for the lack of any damage sustained in a 30 mph crash on the dirt road side. :thumb: I only had to straighten the rear brake pedal. (See pic in post #4)

Attachments

#15 ·
Very nice Invader! I just stumbled on this thread... I'm impressed. :D

Please tell me how you facilitated mounting the Moose Racing 1-1/8" riser adapter to the OEM riser assembly. The OEM setup has an "offset" bolt pattern, and for the life of me hope you got a plug-n-play setup. I just mounted up Pro Taper SE ATV low 7/8" bars, but would love to try a set of Magura or Pro Taper contours. The aluminum bars DO make a nice difference in quelling the vibes for sure!

Rock on,
Jim

#21 · (Edited)
Invader,
I was thinking about grooving my stock tires also. Was this something you had done before doing it on the versys? Is it hard to do? How effective was it?
I'm looking for an alternative to buying distanzia's and wonder how viable of an option this is.

Perhaps some of you other folks have done it? Would you mind posting pictures if you have them?
Thanks to all!

#22 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.