Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

what helmet do you wear?

78K views 332 replies 167 participants last post by  Valdis 
#1 ·
I've had my Shoei RF1000 for the past 6 years and it was time to buy a new helmet. I was surprised how many different options there are. Ranging from $100 to $600, different safety standards, ventilation, noise level, protection etc.

I always wear DOT and SNELL approved helmets but this time I decided to go with 5 star SHARP rating as well. It was hard to find a helmet that satisfies all 3 standards and doesn't make me go broke.
I ended up ordering the AGV GT Veloce. Found it for $190 shipping included. This AGV helmet is designed for an up-right riding position...
https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

What helmets do you wear?

Attachments

See less See more
#59 · (Edited)
HJC DS-X1, black and silver. The silver isn't technically "reflective," but gets very bright in low light situations when light hits it. Strangely, every other helmet I've ever had was size large. HJCs I wear a medium?!? Anyway, good looking helmet, pin-lock ready, peak doesn't grab much air at all, and the helmet vents nicely. It's comfy if not very quiet, but I wear earplugs anyway. My only gripe is that with my (stock) windscreen in the highest position, the peak vibrates pretty badly above 35 mph. At my height (6 feet, 33" inseam), and the windscreen set at highest, it seems there is about a 6 inch high area of turbulence right where the peak is. I've been meaning to get a taller windscreen anyway!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BiPwIbDlReUuSGpG2

First two are in the dark with flash, last one is with lights on. Not really reflective, but almost?

#60 · (Edited)
HJC DS-X1, black and silver. The silver isn't technically "reflective," but gets very bright in low light situations when light hits it. Strangely, every other helmet I've ever had was size large. HJCs I wear a medium?!? Anyway, good looking helmet, pin-lock ready, peak doesn't grab much air at all, and the helmet vents nicely. It's comfy if not very quiet, but I wear earplugs anyway. My only gripe is that with my (stock) windscreen in the highest position, the peak vibrates pretty badly above 35 mph. At my height (6 feet, 33" inseam), and the windscreen set at highest, it seems there is about a 6 inch high area of turbulence right where the peak is. I've been meaning to get a taller windscreen anyway!
I keep looking at these, but I tend to ride with the shield just cracked open for increased ventilation. I kept wishing for a setting between closed and the first notch on my Hornet when I had it, and my current Qwest has the ability to have the shield open just slightly. How good is the ventilation on the HJC's?

#65 ·
I recently picked up a HJC IS-17. Fits me really well, is quite comfortable, has a decent drop down visor and a pinlock main visor,vents well, and is also pretty light for a polycarb helmet, a pretty good deal at the 179-199 that it typically sells for. My only complaint is the pinlock insert isn't included and it is not a quiet helmet (I wear earplugs on the highway anyway so not a huge issue). Fits my glasses pretty well too. I got it in this green and black that matches my Kawi green Versys nicely.

#70 ·
Had to get another helmet, the HJC DSX-1 had to go back. The HJC was crazy noisy (equally noisy with AND without the peak), and ended up being incredibly uncomfortable after wearing it for more than an hour. I ended up picking up an AFX 41-DS from Revzilla for $139.00! It literally has everything the HJC did not: drop-down sun visor, a faceshield that has a detent so it stays cracked open, and plenty of room for a coms set-up. With the peak the AFX is louder than the HJC. Minus the peak, the AFX is SIGNIFICANTLY quieter than the HJC was (with or without peak, vents open and closed). AFX downsides: kinda heavy, not great in cold weather, and pretty big. On the upside it has a lot of vents, and they seem to work well.

#71 ·
Weljo2001, that at950 is the same lid I purchased and I find it very comfortable. I have kept my peak on for the frequent instances of riding into the setting sun. No extra noise but a little vibe at higher speeds. After the first few rides I did take the visor sticker off though. All in all, very happy with comfort, features, and price. Hope you like yours.

#72 ·
I'm really happy with mine. The only issue one of the bolts that hold the face shield came off while i was riding down the highway. Called Scorpion and they shipped out 2 new bolts and washers for free. They said they were aware of that issue with some from the early shipments. I called them on a Monday and received them on Wednesday. I went ahead and put some blue loc-tite on the bolt threads.

#76 ·
Wore out a couple of Shoei's then began a search for a replacement lid.

Tried on several helmets including high end Arai and Shoei but was not all that impressed especially when considering the price.

On a fluke was at Cal Coast Cycles in Ventura looking at Jackets when I noticed a piece on helmets on their video screen.

The road race rider, think it was Freddy Spencer, was doing a road test and review on the Icon Airmada helmet. Sure sounded like a great helmet at about half the price of the premium lids.

Tried a couple of them on and loved the fit and finish. I bought a red one for list price of $255. It is a really great helmet for the price.

A few years later I picked up my current green and black Airmada on close out for just $150 which is a steal.

Could not be happier.

Attachments

#78 ·
I wore an Icon Airmada for 4 years and something like 60k km. In the "Volare" hi-vis yellow and reflective silver pattern. It was obvious to me that other motorists may have missed me on the bike, but the way their head snapped back to look me "in the eyes" indicated that some part of their brain had seen the helmet! It was a decently built helmet, that fit my long oval head fairly well, with only a slight hot-spot above my forehead after wearing it for hours. It had great ventilation, but as a result was very loud. Ear plugs were required! It was a tight fit for speakers, but doable. Unfortunately, Icon discontinued most of their hi-vis items, so I'm shopping other brands now. I would have bought another if it was still available in the hi-vis Volare pattern.

I'm now wearing a Scorpion EXO-AT950 helmet in hi-vis Neocon that I got last fall for 1/2 price. It is quieter and even more comfortable than the Airmada was, though not as "visible".

#84 · (Edited)
Just purchased a Bell Star MIPS helmet. Recent research has apparently determined sudden, violent rotation of the head is the most common cause of brain injury so the MIPS system is supposed to prevent some of this. It is one of the only helmets to get a 5 start Sharp safety rating (most helmets get 3 stars) and has ECE and Snell 2015 approval too. Only issues are it best fits intermediate to long oval heads, but not round oval heads, and is heavier and has larger exterior dimensions, despite 5 different shell sizes, than most helmets at it's mid to upper mid price range - probably due to stronger shell construction and more EVS foam.

#85 ·
Shoei RF-1100. Will buy a 1200 next year after 5 years of loving the 1100. Shoei makes all their own components, has multiple shell sizes, and fits my noggin. Wanted a Bell but it didn't fit and shell and components are all made by various Taiwan suppliers and put together by "Bell" who is owned by a mega conglomerate.

#87 ·
My (personal) most comfortable helmet...ever...a $50 Bilt 3/4 that I bought last summer. May not be the safest but for the price and comfort, for me, cannot be beat!

I also wear a Bilt modular with built-in Sena bluetooth. I paid $230. It's noisy but it fits well and the Sena is great. Good for rainy days.

#89 ·
I have quite a few helmets but this is by far my favorite:

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bell-mag-9-sena-helmet-solids

It is very quiet and has the fighter pilot visor that can be lowered or raised. It is also very comfortable as well. I never really liked the full face helmets but I do like the 3/4 helmet design. I also have a 1/2 helmet I usually wear in warmer weather which also has the fighter pilot type of visor. This helmet also is designed to have the Sena Bluetooth device attached to it. I don't have one but maybe one day I will try it.

#93 ·
#97 ·
AFX FX-39DS, orange/urban camo

Peak removed.

Chin curtain, silver mirror half-visor, and gopro added.

It's stupid cheap for having an ECE rating, as well as being extremely visible, which is what I was looking for (don't trust DOT for much at all). It'll do just fine for a good while longer I imagine, but I'd like to step up to a 5 star Sharp rated helmet. Besides, I'm getting all white summer gear, might as well get white boots, gloves, and helmet and just go full stormtrooper.