Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
81 - 100 of 333 Posts
Similar weight although I did not actually weigh them.

For my head the Icon is a better fit and more comfortable. No hot spots on an all day ride.

Great ventilation but you pay for it in noise level. I don't really care as I always wear ear plugs.
Are the weight and fit similar to Shoei's?
Thank you!
I also have a Shoei RF1100 and then purchased an Icon Airmada. The same green/black/white Salient design you have hawker. Great looking helmet!

I agree that the Icon is an excellent alternative. From my experience the Shoei is noticeably lighter and slightly more comfortable. Neither of them give me any sort of pain after a full day's ride as you mentioned. The visor on the Icon is stiffer to lift up and down and the top of the viewport is in my line of vision where it is not on the Shoei. I find the Icon easier to defog in cooler weather. Finally the opening on the Icon Airmada is quite small and it takes a bit of effort to get it on when it's brand new.

I love my Icon helmet, even at full price it's an excellent value and an absolute steal for the price hawker paid.

I also have a Shoei RF1100 and then purchased an Icon Airmada. The same green/black/white Salient design you have hawker. Great looking helmet!

The visor on the Icon is stiffer to lift up and down and the top of the viewport is in my line of vision where it is not on the Shoei.
The top of the view port being lower is great when heading into the sun when it's low on the horizon.

I too love the green paint job.

Just purchased a Bell Star MIPS helmet. Recent research has apparently determined sudden, violent rotation of the head is the most common cause of brain injury so the MIPS system is supposed to prevent some of this. It is one of the only helmets to get a 5 start Sharp safety rating (most helmets get 3 stars) and has ECE and Snell 2015 approval too. Only issues are it best fits intermediate to long oval heads, but not round oval heads, and is heavier and has larger exterior dimensions, despite 5 different shell sizes, than most helmets at it's mid to upper mid price range - probably due to stronger shell construction and more EVS foam.

Shoei RF-1100. Will buy a 1200 next year after 5 years of loving the 1100. Shoei makes all their own components, has multiple shell sizes, and fits my noggin. Wanted a Bell but it didn't fit and shell and components are all made by various Taiwan suppliers and put together by "Bell" who is owned by a mega conglomerate.

My (personal) most comfortable helmet...ever...a $50 Bilt 3/4 that I bought last summer. May not be the safest but for the price and comfort, for me, cannot be beat!

I also wear a Bilt modular with built-in Sena bluetooth. I paid $230. It's noisy but it fits well and the Sena is great. Good for rainy days.

I have quite a few helmets but this is by far my favorite:

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bell-mag-9-sena-helmet-solids

It is very quiet and has the fighter pilot visor that can be lowered or raised. It is also very comfortable as well. I never really liked the full face helmets but I do like the 3/4 helmet design. I also have a 1/2 helmet I usually wear in warmer weather which also has the fighter pilot type of visor. This helmet also is designed to have the Sena Bluetooth device attached to it. I don't have one but maybe one day I will try it.

:funnypost:
I have to chuckle when I see someone wearing one of these.

Unfortunately it really is not a laughing matter.

A buddy went down on the freeway wearing one of these a few years ago. Some of his head and face was ground to the bone and then some. Took several surgeries to put him back together.

If he would have been wearing a full face helmet he would have walked away.

Lesson learned the hard way.:frown2:

AFX FX-39DS, orange/urban camo

Peak removed.

Chin curtain, silver mirror half-visor, and gopro added.

It's stupid cheap for having an ECE rating, as well as being extremely visible, which is what I was looking for (don't trust DOT for much at all). It'll do just fine for a good while longer I imagine, but I'd like to step up to a 5 star Sharp rated helmet. Besides, I'm getting all white summer gear, might as well get white boots, gloves, and helmet and just go full stormtrooper.

LS2 Matt Orange to match bike. Got it for cheap on flea bay. Makes me highly visible in Nashville traffic and its actually very comfortable. I love the ratchet chin strap! Drop down sun shield kinda bugs me they way its cut out in the middle for the nose, but for less than $100 I'm not complaining too much.

Attachments

81 - 100 of 333 Posts