Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
41 - 60 of 333 Posts
Speed & Strength SS2500. Gloss Black. Paid $130 for it.

Arai Signet-X recently. Yes, a big expense but I couldn't find anything else that fit my skull. Previously I was using an Icon Alliance and it was killing my forehead about an hour into riding.

I'm currently wearing an Arai Signet Q... they went on clearance for 60% off and I grabbed one ....I'll say this, they are great helmets, but I do not think they are worth the original price ($700.00) and would not spend that much for this helmet...at less than half price,they are a nice helmet.

Been trying on helmets lately. Guess I have a bit of a long oval head. Proportionally narrower than normal but also longer front to back than normal. Can't seem to get a good fit with Shoei, HJC, or many other popular brands. The Aria Signet seems to offer the best fit but is a bit pricey. My current Bell RS-1 fits well though as does an LS-2 and AGV I recently tried. Only issue with the LS-2 is I'm a XXL in it while I am a L in Bell and most other helmets. My point is a great helmet for one person will be a poor fitting helmet for someone else. You really have to try a helmet on and wear it around the store for a while to see if it is a good fit. If you can shake your head from side to side and the helmet does not move with you it's too wide fitting. If you get pressure points on your forehead or back of head that's not a good sign either.

still rocking the IV2

well being the cheap bastard i am, im still rocking my IV2, i clean the inside at least once a year as well as inspect all the hardware,padding and shell.. has never been really dropped or had any impacts other then bugs and once a small bird after bouncing off my hand.
was around $100+S&H and other then the weight of it (heavy as f*ck compared to my carbon fiber fly racing dirt bike helmet) and the wind noise at higher speed (camera bluetooth and ears dont help) but i absolutely love that its modular, if you wear glasses this is a must have, it makes taking the helmet on and off a 15 second vs about 3 minutes with a normal full face, and id never use a open face helmet...

Attachments

I use the Bilt Techno Bluetooth Evolution Modular Helmet. Wife wanted modular to easily kiss be before ride when I am geared up. Bluetooth for ride music mainly. Now Shes happy she can talk to me when I am riding. This really came in handy when she saw a bike down on the expressway. We ended up talking for the hour drive. But it really helped her fears of me getting in accident.

Attachments

Shoei Hornet X2.

+Great helmet, fits my head perfectly, while sometimes difficult to get on/off thats probably a good thing. Looks badass with the peak on, and doesn't catch as much air as a typical DS peak, despite remaining perfectly functional. Quite pricey but i'm willing to shell out the cash on brain buckets....

-Only things I dont really like are the peak vent ONLY closes when you have the peak installed... When you take the peak off you have a 1/4" or so diameter hole directly on the top of your head... What was Shoei thinking?

-The other thing is the way Shoei designed the brim of the helmet makes it nigh on impossible to install a bluetooth comms system with the proper clamp that I have installed on my spare Arai helmet, so i'm using the crappy 3M tape adhesive mount to hold on a $200 bluetooth comm unit, which only lasts about 9 months before the security of it becomes very questionable indeed...

It would be nice to have a drop down sun visor inside the helmet, but being that 3/4 of the reason I bought a DS style helmet is because the peak is effectively a hat brim... I can't really complain about that!

*Pic is not me*

AFX DS-41 HiViz Yellow

Excellent budget priced helmet at about $160. Great venting. Well designed internal drop down sun shield. Reasonable weight. Not particularly quiet...but that's what ear plugs are for anyway. Easy to get replacement parts for. Handy ratcheting chin strap.

The large bill, normally used for dirt riding, is an easy on/off item that can be a godsend on early mornings, or late afternoons when the sun is low towards the horizon. Easy to remove and stow when not in use.

...The large bill, normally used for dirt riding, is an easy on/off item that can be a godsend on early mornings, or late afternoons when the sun is low towards the horizon. Easy to remove and stow when not in use.
Or you can put a couple of lengths of 'electricians tape' across the top of your shield = VERY inexpensive + works GREAT!

I was able to view the eclipse thru it, and 'shared' it so two buddies could also view....

HJC DS-X1, black and silver. The silver isn't technically "reflective," but gets very bright in low light situations when light hits it. Strangely, every other helmet I've ever had was size large. HJCs I wear a medium?!? Anyway, good looking helmet, pin-lock ready, peak doesn't grab much air at all, and the helmet vents nicely. It's comfy if not very quiet, but I wear earplugs anyway. My only gripe is that with my (stock) windscreen in the highest position, the peak vibrates pretty badly above 35 mph. At my height (6 feet, 33" inseam), and the windscreen set at highest, it seems there is about a 6 inch high area of turbulence right where the peak is. I've been meaning to get a taller windscreen anyway!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BiPwIbDlReUuSGpG2

First two are in the dark with flash, last one is with lights on. Not really reflective, but almost?

HJC DS-X1, black and silver. The silver isn't technically "reflective," but gets very bright in low light situations when light hits it. Strangely, every other helmet I've ever had was size large. HJCs I wear a medium?!? Anyway, good looking helmet, pin-lock ready, peak doesn't grab much air at all, and the helmet vents nicely. It's comfy if not very quiet, but I wear earplugs anyway. My only gripe is that with my (stock) windscreen in the highest position, the peak vibrates pretty badly above 35 mph. At my height (6 feet, 33" inseam), and the windscreen set at highest, it seems there is about a 6 inch high area of turbulence right where the peak is. I've been meaning to get a taller windscreen anyway!
I keep looking at these, but I tend to ride with the shield just cracked open for increased ventilation. I kept wishing for a setting between closed and the first notch on my Hornet when I had it, and my current Qwest has the ability to have the shield open just slightly. How good is the ventilation on the HJC's?

41 - 60 of 333 Posts