Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

what helmet do you wear?

78K views 332 replies 167 participants last post by  Valdis 
#1 ·
I've had my Shoei RF1000 for the past 6 years and it was time to buy a new helmet. I was surprised how many different options there are. Ranging from $100 to $600, different safety standards, ventilation, noise level, protection etc.

I always wear DOT and SNELL approved helmets but this time I decided to go with 5 star SHARP rating as well. It was hard to find a helmet that satisfies all 3 standards and doesn't make me go broke.
I ended up ordering the AGV GT Veloce. Found it for $190 shipping included. This AGV helmet is designed for an up-right riding position...
https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

What helmets do you wear?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Arai, Signet-Q Pro Tour.

I'm assuming you tried on the helmet at some local shop?
My perspective is that there are two main criteria for a helmet: 1) Fit. If it doesn't fit comfortably, it doesn't matter what it costs. 2) Noise mitigation. Of course, you also have to factor in windshield effect, but I've found some helmets are more susceptible to buffeting, noise, and just poor acoustic design.

Price comes in 3rd. If it's not comfortable, a $700 lid is useless...

DOT, or even better, ECE certification, is a given. The Arai is Snell certed as well, but until the new 2015 rating, that designation was questionable as to its value...

#8 ·
How is the vent and noise? I have a Schuberth C3 Pro. It listed for $829, but the local BMW dealership was having a closeout and I picked it up for $499. Its a good helmet with good noise and vent and not heavy. My neighbor gave me his Arai RX-7 Corsair. This helmet is super light with good venting; however, the venting is so good that its pretty noisy. Its a good spare helmet.

A helmet is not something to be cheap about...... Cheap Helmet, cheap head!

#9 ·
Currently have a Shoei Qwest Yellow / black "Overt" helmet. Nice, but my previous helmet was a Hornet, which I absolutely loved. I miss the visor, as I'm generally heading into the sun during my commute, and it's handy to just dip my head slightly. The only helmets that have really been comfortable to date have been HJC or Shoei.

My next helmet will probably be a Hornet. The HJC DS-X1 looks nice as well, but it would be nicer if it was ECE approved.

#10 ·
Bought a new bike so I figured I needed a shiny new helmet to go with it. Been a while since I had a new one and I wasn't looking forward to the hit and miss process of getting one that fit my noggin and was comfortable to boot. Thats when I discovered Lidpicker. Costs about 20 bucks. They send you a measurement kit and you enter your measurements on their web site. After they evaluate your measurements they send you an extensive list of compatible helmets. My sweet spot was the Shoei Neotec. Went to CycleGear, tried one on and I was in love with everything but the price. So happened everything in the store was 10% off that day so I bit the bullet and can honestly say its the most comfortable full face helmet ( actually a modular) I have ever owned. Only helmet I have ever had that pushes enough air through the top vent that you can feel it.

#11 · (Edited)
I've owned Scorpion, Arai and Bell lids. Scorpion was not bad for an entry level lid. The Arai was the best but also the priciest. The Bell RS1 offered the best compromise of price/performance.

For my oval head shape the Bell RS1 (now sold as the Bell Star base model) offered the best compromise in price/performance and fit. It offers a fit almost comparable to the Arai Signet, for my oval head shape with equivalent venting, weight, and crash protection for a lot less money. IMO Arai has fantastic after sales support and are a great helmet but also grossly overpriced.

webBikeWorld.com - Motorcycle Product Reviews is a great resource for helmets

Lid Picker seems like a great resource for those who don't have access to stores where they can try on multiple models and brands and must purchase sight unseen online. I've found what is a great helmet for someone can be a poor choice for another because of head shape. As an example I cannot get a good fit in a Shoei even though they seem well made and have great reviews.

#14 ·
Kabuto Ibuki modular... Best money I ever spent, and I am a cheap basturd.
Tried a lot of helmets on at the local Cycle Gear, then took a chance and ordered one of these. Lighter and better fit than any Bell, Shoei, or Arai, at least on my noggin.

Not sure I would get another Modular though... I only ever seem to open it when I am putting it on or taking it off so I am not sure I really need to put up with the extra weight or noise (although this one is pretty quiet!)
May get a Kabuto full face next.

#16 ·
i only open mine when putting it on/ taking it off, but that was the reason for having modular in the first place, i personally wouldnt really ride with it open (would be about as good as a brain bucket and i dont use them) i just like that it opens to get it on and off without having to take off my glasses (might not sound like a big deal but it really makes it SOOOOO much easier and pleasant to deal with

#15 ·
I normally wear a Joe Rocket RKT201 carbon fiber full face. But I started working on a military base and needed a modular to keep from having to remove my helmet at the gate. I bought a Bilt Evolution from Cycle Gear, which is actually a really nice helmet. I went cheaper as I figured I'd only wear it to ride to work. Being a glasses wearer, when its time for a new lid, I'm probably going to go with the Shoei Neotec as I seem to like the modular style helmet better. I've tried one on and it seems to fit my head perfectly.

#17 ·
I just switched from a HJC IS-Max to a Scorpion EXO-AT950. The HJC was an ok helmet but after ~3 years it was starting to get kinda rattly and it was never a very quiet helmet to begin with. The Scorpion seems to be an all-around better helmet and didn't break the bank. I was originally looking at the Shark Evoline 3 for it's "unique" features but the price and the width of the helmet killed it for me.

#18 ·
I have a long-oval noggin, so I've been pretty much limited to Arai Signets and Profiles since they came out.

Reactions: dadsafrantic
#22 ·
4 x HJC FF, 2 x ZOX FF, 1 x HJC open Face and 2 x HJC 1/2 helmets .... I have a 5 ft closet in my garage full of riding gear and helmets due to the different bikes I have owned ... from touring gear to chaps, I keep hearing about Shoei helmets and their priceing, back in the day, they were cheap ass helmets and AVG and Bell were the premier brands ... how things have changed since the 80's

#23 ·
Recently purchased a Shoei Qwest and have ridden approx. 900 mi. wearing it.
Fits my head shape well and is quieter than the Shoei RF1000 that it replaced.
I can't comment on the venting due to the fact that it is not yet hot enough to open the vents.

#35 ·
Kiwi

I have a 4 to 5 year old N104, and am due to replace it soon. The only thing stopping me is the reports that the Nolan Bluetooth isn't very good, especially for interacting with other brands.

How do you find the B4? Would you buy another one?

Alan / BigAussie

#27 · (Edited)
cold weather

Bell makes a cold weather kit (~$50) (contains dual pane visor, breath box and balaclava) for snowmobiling for their helmets and I suspect other manufacturers do too. My dual pane visor is fantastic in the cold and wet. It is truly impossible to fog. Only issue is the visor is heavier than the single pane one, so the slightest bump will cause it to come down when it is raised up. Don't bother with the breath box that comes with it as I don't ride in -20C. I've never used a pinlock or fog city visor insert but if they work anything like this they would be a must have for cold weather running. Never had much success with anti fog coatings. Plexus is the best visor cleaner/polish I've found though. A single can is expensive but goes a long way. Don't use glass cleaner, Rainx, or anything like these that contain ammonia or alcohol on a plastic visor though as it will destroy it, particularly with repeated use.

#28 ·
Bell makes a cold weather kit (~$50) (contains dual pane visor, breath box and balaclava) for snowmobiling for their helmets and I suspect other manufacturers do too. My dual pane visor is fantastic in the cold and wet. It is truly impossible to fog. Only issue is the visor is heavier than the single pane one, so the slightest bump will cause it to come down when it is raised up. Don't bother with the breath box that comes with it as I don't ride in -20C. I've never used a pinlock or fog city visor insert but if they work anything like this they would be a must have for cold weather running. Never had much success with anti fog coatings. Plexus is the best visor cleaner/polish I've found though. A single can is expensive but goes a long way. Don't use glass cleaner, Rainx, or anything like these that contain ammonia or alcohol on a plastic visor though as it will destroy it, particularly with repeated use.
I've used Pinlocks for the last maybe 8 years or so -- works great for me, although they only last 1-2 years before they stop absorbing moisture, depending upon how much cold and rain you ride in. And they ain't cheap. I agree on the coatings; I tried many before discovering Pinlock, and none worked very well for me. I tried a Scorpion helmet with a (non-DOT) snowmobile dual-pane visor, which is hands-down the very best anti-fogging/anti-icing solution I've used, but the helmet just didn't fit my L-O head well enough.