Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

What grade of gasoline do you use in your Versys

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
If you look quickly you will see 100% of us use reg....lol
Most generally I try to buy whichever one contains NO ethanol.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have no choice but to use premium. Mine pings and knocks using regular on moderate to hard acceleration. Must be California blend and / or Ca. emissions system. I don't mind the added cost, it doesn't add up to a hill of beans.

·
Registered
670 Posts
i use 87 octane, since 85 isn't available here. unless you're pinging, there's no profit in the premium. well, no profit for us.....

·
Premium Member
16,143 Posts
Was using regular unleaded then switched to premium a couple of tanks ago bike runs better and i'm getting better gas milage

·
Registered
244 Posts
I run reg no ethenol and runs great here in Iowa

·
Registered
665 Posts
I run premium because my choices are 85 octane or premium (92 octane if memory serves) at most stations.

My '05 Tundra doesn't care about gas but my former '99 Subaru and my '08 Subaru both get such better mileage with premium it is actually more economical to run the more expensive brew. Plus, everything here is an EtOH blend which I suspect is the reason the higher octane works better in some rigs.

Haven't done the test in the V yet but will once my fractured ankle is knitted, the screws removed and PT is finished so I can ride again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Best to go with premium 92-97 octane her in NZ as tests have shown some discrepancy in octane level at times being somewhat lower.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In Finland we have only two (or three if Shell's counted with V-power) grade of fuel. 95 or 98. I use 95.

·
Registered
6 Posts
post ingnition problems with premium

I tried premium with my California V and found some post ignition in the header and muffler. With regular, I have no provlem.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
IN NZ there is 91 octane regular, 95 octane super and BP has a 98 octane, mainly fill up on 95 but do use 98 at times.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
In 2008, I had picked up 70 liters (18.5 US gallons) of 94 North American pump posted octane (98 RON+MON/2) down south for less than local regular 87 (91 RON), but ignition timing wasn't advanced enough to run optimally on 94 (98 RON). Combustion was extended in the exhaust which sounded louder and a bit rough, even though overall performance was already better. I was able to advance ignition timing +5 degrees by slotting the timing rotor groove, which smoothed it out well and made it pull even stronger across rev range. Low-end tractability and response was also improved... It now runs great on 91 (95 RON) with ignition timing still advanced an extra 5 degrees over stock.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Manuel says Im fine with regular, it's cheaper, and runs great with it. Why pay more?

·
Registered
481 Posts
I ran 87 on her every fill up. I did try one time and fill her up with 92, don't feel any different... Back to 87

Why waste extra $ if she runs fine with 87 ??? :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts