Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Original on my Gen II. I like the sound.

I'd change it for something that's lighter and offers more ground clearance though,
and more chain clearance too, as the original gets covered with
the generous quantities of chain oil I use.

I guess a
Jaw Art Font Movie Event
straight pipe would be light and address the ground and chain clearance.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Do you ride off-road? If not, I doubt ground clearance is a problem on the road. I can't see it ever grounding while leaning. I've hit some nasty speed bumps and never touched down, also scraped pegs but no muffler touch down.

The weight is more of an issue

·
Registered
408 Posts
Do you ride off-road? If not, I doubt ground clearance is a problem on the road. I can't see it ever grounding while leaning. I've hit some nasty speed bumps and never touched down, also scraped pegs but no muffler touch down.

The weight is more of an issue
The weight is not more of an issue as I like to take "creative" short cuts around town which has me riding over obstacles...

Apart from that... this is my Gen II in the bush. I live over the other side of the sky scrapers in the haze
you see on the horizon... if your display is good enough.

Cloud Sky Wheel Tire Automotive tire

·
Registered
997 Posts
Stock 650. The idea of creating more noise for the hell of it and then wearing earplugs so I dont have to suffer like the others has no appeal to me. No performance benefit on the 650, maybe less as our modern engine uses that back pressure for compression. Get the Flash if you want more lower end torque. And personally, I like the sound of the stock. Its like some kind of souped up farm machine, a little crazy when you rev it. It gives me some kind of grim satisfaction, a sound only a mother could love!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
On my 2018 Versys-X 300, I run the stock exhaust. I don't like noisy mufflers (but that's just me). I prefer to save my money and spend it on suspension and tires.
That's far too rational, who needs good tires and suspension when the money can be spent on a loud exhaust? Nobody will look at you with a quiet exhaust! Sarcasm fully intended. ;)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I was complimented on how quiet my Versys is yesterday by a person in a nearby small port village where he said the 'loud pipes save lives' fools torment the locals every weekend. He commented, " I think they are more interested in being seen than riding. And why do they ride in packs?"

Every Friday the 13th there is a gathering in Port Dover, Ontario, about 80 km from my home. This past Friday the crowd was estimated to be in excess of 100,000. It's a veritable Harley lovefest of overweight and attention-starved bros and their 'bitches', with a small scattering of sportbike, cafe racers and ADV riders. I went there maybe three times about 15-20 years ago, mainly to take photos and have a few laughs.

I notice that a vast majority of the visitors take the main highways to Dover when there are really good scenic and riding roads to get there instead. But those good riding roads don't go through any towns or cities, so who will see them?

The racket of straight pipes in our town is deafening. I think they prefer having to stop at red lights so they can blip throttles and check out their reflection in store windows. I had a business on the main street and observed that happening constantly.

"Look at me!" It's funny if a bit childish at the same time.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts