Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,060 Posts
I would never consider it, just remember , that chain is driving the counter sprocket, every bump that chain could skip a tooth , come off. The only way I would use that is without a chain,that means a quick link, also not legal in Ontario. One member had I assume a master link installed wrong by a dealer, wrecked the gearbox when the chain came off, repaired at dealers expense.
There was a post with a bike hauler that carried the whole bike on the back hitch, but it was a pickup truck. It had a on and off ramp integral to the carrier.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I could see having one of those around if you need to bring a non-running bike to the dealer for repair, or to haul a motocross bike just a few miles to the local track and your vehicle can't handle the weight of a hitch carrier and no room to store a trailer anywhere or the cost of registering, insuring, something you might use periodically.

If your vehicle can handle a small trailer but you don't want to own one, you can always rent one from Uhaul that has tie downs for a motorcycle.

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Here's a pic of the Harbor-Freight trailer I put together to tow my '09 to Canada from AZ back in '11.

DSC05960 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC05961 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC05962 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr
That is the way I would go. The HF 40-1/2 In X 48 In Utility Trailer is around US$300 and is the perfect size. A couple hours of work to assemble and add the decking (and a few days to get it titled as a homemade trailer), and you are good to go!

The only thing I would do differently would be to throw a spare tire on there somewhere. Trailer tires, especially small ones, don't have the best life.:eek:

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
That is the way I would go. The HF 40-1/2 In X 48 In Utility Trailer is around US$300 and is the perfect size. A couple hours of work to assemble and add the decking (and a few days to get it titled as a homemade trailer), and you are good to go!

The only thing I would do differently would be to throw a spare tire on there somewhere. Trailer tires, especially small ones, don't have the best life.:eek:
Look closer at the trailer.

Why title as a homemade trailer? I had a folding HF trailer that I could store upright in the garage and it came with an MSO so I just brought that down and titled it.

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts
...The only thing I would do differently would be to throw a spare tire on there somewhere. Trailer tires, especially small ones, don't have the best life.:eek:...
Take another look at the THIRD pic - it's attached beneath the front of the 'deck'.

...What did you tongue weight end up being with the axle so far back on the trailer?...
Can't remember, but it was OK near as I remember. I believe I 'moved' the axle a couple of inches to the rear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been thinking about finding a way to take the motorcycle when my wife and I travel. I was thinking about the following:

800lb Motorcycle Scooter Carrier 2" Tow Receiver Trailer Hauler Hitch Mount Rack | eBay

Has anyone used this? Would it be bad for the versys transporting it this way?
I use a 600 lb Hitch based carrier from Blackwidow For my 2008 650. It works great. I don't know the model number (can't find the receipt); I purchased it about 5-7 years ago.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I use a 600 lb Hitch based carrier from Blackwidow For my 2008 650. It works great. I don't know the model number (can't find the receipt); I purchased it about 5-7 years ago.
Need a stout vehicle for the weight of that carrier and bike. You are creating a see/saw on the rear axle. I wouldn't attempt it unless you have a class III or IV receiver, a short distance to the rear axle, and a lot of weight forward of the rear axle. Full size SUV or truck with a cap on it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been thinking about finding a way to take the motorcycle when my wife and I travel. I was thinking about the following:

800lb Motorcycle Scooter Carrier 2" Tow Receiver Trailer Hauler Hitch Mount Rack | eBay

Has anyone used this? Would it be bad for the versys transporting it this way?
We have two bikes to tow so splurged on a USA Trailer MT3. Pricey but very solid and handled very well at high interstate speeds on long cross country trip with my son (not enough vacation time to just ride there). They do have a single bike trailer to consider: Ace Single Motorcycle Trailer.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Be mindful of the speed rating on tires and handling at highway speeds. I started with utility trailer for single bike but was limited to ~60mph before noticed some handling issues. Kept spare tire in back of vehicle. The weight of the bike actually helped by loading the suspension but still restricted use to local/shorter trips. As is said - "your mileage may vary" so try things out before get too far from home.

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
It's not the least expensive alternative but the Port-A-Chopper modular trailer was my choice. I chose the single rail model with fenders and it's served us very well. It can handle our '93 BMW K75S, the Versys, our BMW G310R, and Suzuki TU-250X easily One at a time of course. To top it off, the entire trailer disassembles and fits in the back of our SUV. The only place I've ever seen it advertised is in the AMA Magazine, but you can Google Port-A-Chopper motorcycle trailer and find all sorts of information.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts