Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I always wondered if anyone bought one of those. I was tempted when Honda knocked $5000 off the price,
I test drove one and the heat off the engine was too much for my liking. I heard it was a problem. Loved the bike though. Wonderful ride. Maybe there is a way to deal with it I didn’t know about.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I bought my old Scott jacket for the venting and I dont think that you can pack in more zippers. 2 upper shoulder with magnet "on the fly" close as well. 2 mid abdomen. 2 armpit to wrist inner sleeve. And two back. If the jacket was light grey instead of black it would be perfect for me in hot weather. As lon
Jacket (2).jpg
g as you keep moving....

·
Registered
105 Posts
I’m sure the white colors helps a bit too. No idea why companies don’t do more of that. Lots of black and gray, which makes us even harder to see - plus much more heat absorbent. Makes no sense.
The lighter colors are great but I look like a total dork. I used to ride with black pants but decided I don't care how I look anymore lol.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I always wear helmet, long sleeves, full pants, gloves and boots......if I go down (I have a number of times) I will get some road rash and maybe a broken bone or two. It's not a perfectly safe hobby as we all know.

·
Super Moderator
19,152 Posts
...Ed does western Canada to Arizona - lucky guy. Unlike in those places, the humidity in the southeast is legendary. No place for evaporated water to go in the atmosphere south of the Mason-Dixon Line....
I lived in Ontario and Quebec for awhile, and HATED THE HUMIDITY! (n)(n)

EVEN during winter - I told people I would take Alberta at -40F and sunny, over Ontario OR Quebec near 0F, humid w/ wet feet!

At least where it's dry you can dress for -40 and be warm!

(y)(y)

·
Registered
2013 v650
223 Posts
Columbia cool wicking shirt under mesh jacket, with Sliders brand kevlar pants, deerskin gloves and Bares gor-tex side zip boots. You would think that the pants would be hot, but I think they insulate you from the engine and sun. Much cooler than jeans. I have both black and tan cargo pants.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The lighter colors are great but I look like a total dork. I used to ride with black pants but decided I don't care how I look anymore lol.
With age I have come to re-define what is "cool". That is the best solution regardless of fashion. If light color is the obvious choice for efficiency then to me it is "cool". No pun intended!

·
Registered
11 Posts
i work on a military base so i have to cover all exposed skin while riding anyway. most of the time I wear jeans, riding boots/ safety toe boots (for work), textile mesh jacket or a padded hoodie, gloves and full face helmet. the only thing i might change on the hottest days is a long sleeve t shirt.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Arizona dweller here, my afternoon commute is now on average about 110-115 degrees. I use a mesh jacket w/armor, plain jeans, meshy hiking boots, and motocross gloves to keep it cool. Also use a Columbia omnifreeze shirt and a kool-tie around my neck soaked in ice water to keep the brain cool. Then I'll dump a nalgene's worth of water all over myself and I'll stay "cool" for about an hour before having to dump another water load. For reference, my commute is about 20 minutes long and I will be dry by the time I reach home if it's 110+.

Biggest help for me is that Kool-tie, especially since having cooler blood go to the brain keeps the focus level up.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
EVEN during winter - I told people I would take Alberta at -40F and sunny, over Ontario OR Quebec near 0F, humid w/ wet feet!

At least where it's dry you can dress for -40 and be warm!

(y)(y)
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've heard all that -40F dry cold nonsense before. I flew to the far north once, it was around 20F (I'm guessing here, I use metric) when I boarded the plane in SW Ontario. It was -45F dry cold at arrival. I almost died when I got outside. Spent a week in that crap, never felt warm, and was glad to return to SW Ontario winter. Glad being relative, as I detest any form of cold weather.

Not trying to highjack this thread. When it's really hot I ride naked. Alright, I admit to wearing boots, and a pisspot helmet with a towel on the seat to keep the boys off the hot vinyl.😜

·
Registered
13 Posts
Atgatt here. I have mesh gear for when it gets hot. The pants I'm not sure help except to let in engine heat. The jacket is an Icon Mesh AF and works well. On hot days I wear a white cotton T underneath and soak it water before I leave. I also remove my windscreen for the summer in the first day when the temps go over 85. The lack of windscreen helps the mesh work much better. Also a hydration bladder full of cold water. And I place a frozen 20oz bottle in contact with the bladder to keep it cold. Drink a lot of water to combat sweating and help keep cool. On very hot days I find it also necessary to have a Gatorade in my pack as well.

·
Registered
'17 Versys 650
10 Posts
Here's my current summer attire:

20200722_131650 (1).jpg

Rev'IT Wind jacket
Rev'IT Philly 2 jeans
Rev'IT Delta H2O shoes
Rev'IT Sand 3 gloves (not pictured)
Arai XD4 helmet (not pictured)

I've ridden in up to 92F temps so far, and it's been quite pleasant.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts