Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, let’s get honest. When it gets hot out do you REALLY go ATGATT? I would venture to say most here are pretty much highway riders. I’d also venture to say most here would kill for an air conditioner and an ice-cold beer on a hot day. But let’s face it, because we are now living in the age of cooties, going inside to life-giving air conditioning anywhere is both risky and Just tougher. While I understand a trip to the hospital is dicey by every account, heat stroke isn‘t a better choice on hot days.

The way I see it, you’re damned if you go ATGATT and damned if you don’t. It was hot here today (in the 90’s) and I broke out the half helmet, sunglasses, jeans, polo shirt, gloves and boots and headed out - and it felt awesome despite feeling somewhat naked without my jacket and riding pants on. I’m sure had I crashed, I would have felt differently, but I ride conservatively and avoided high traffic streets and roads like usual.

So, my question is what do you REALLY wear when you’re cruising? Leather vest? Kevlar thong? Nothing? Love to hear how different riders deal with the heat.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Okay, let’s get honest. When it gets hot out do you REALLY go AGATT? I would venture to say most here are pretty much highway riders. I’d also venture to say most here would kill for an air conditioner and an ice-cold beer on a hot day. But let’s face it, because we are now living in the age of cooties, going inside to life-giving air conditioning anywhere is both risky and Just tougher. While I understand a trip to the hospital is dicey by every account, heat stroke isn‘t a better choice on hot days.

The way I see it, you’re damned if you go AGATT and damned if you don’t. It was hot here today (in the 90’s) and I broke out the half helmet, sunglasses, jeans, polo shirt, gloves and boots and headed out - and it felt awesome despite feeling somewhat naked without my jacket and riding pants on. I’m sure had I crashed, I would have felt differently, but I ride conservatively and avoided high traffic streets and roads like usual.

So, my question is what do you REALLY wear when you’re cruising? Leather vest? Kevlar thong? Nothing? Love to hear how different riders deal with the heat.
I NEVER ride without ATGATT - EVER. In the winter or colder season, I have waterproof gear and summer or warmer weather I have vented riding gear.

I have ridden dirtbikes for 45 years and know what happens when you crash in the dirt and rocks, pavement and traffic is many times more unforgiving.

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m mostly a east coast/Midwest rider. I usually wear ATGATT, but can’t see how riders in Southern California, Arizona, Texas, New Mexico and Nevada do it. I’ve been out there and in the south in 110 degree weather. It’s a killer. Wondering what secrets everyone has.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
My summer gear in the southeast is over the ankle motorcycle boots, mesh pants over shorts or Kevlar jeans, wicking shirt under open mesh short jacket, mesh gloves, neck buff, and FF helmet with visor open. I ride from sunrise to 11:00 AM, and then done for the day. Most of the roads are tree lined, and the fun ones tend to run along streams.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I still go ATGATT during the heat of the summer, which for me is normally mid to upper 90s.. I have Olympia mesh jacket and pants that really let the air flow. I've found that with the pants, it's actually cooler riding with them over my jeans than it is not wearing them. I think it's because the riding pants are designed to block a lot of the engine heat, which they do very well. My Alpinestar summer gloves vent really well also. The only issue I have is that my boots are waterproof, so they don't vent at all, and my feet get sweaty. But I commute to work mostly and I do get caught in the rain often. So I'd rather have waterproof boots than vented ones. And I carry rain gear on the bike. Now what's hot is when you have to ride in the rain gear in the heat, that sucks. If I'm on my way home, I'll sometimes just get wet because I figure I'll be wet from sweat if I put my rain gear on.

·
Registered
221 Posts
99% Full gear no matter how hot is outside (10°C or close to 40°C)
this 1 % left are when I adjust chain or do something on motorbike, so I use only gloves, helmet, and back protector and ride 500meter from my house and back, down to street, just to check little is it everything OK.

I wear : functional underwear
Balaclava
Jacket - Ixon Cross Air Textile Jacket
Pants - Ixon Crosstour HP Textile Pants
Gloves - Ixon RS Rallye HP Gloves
Back protector - Forefield Pro Sub 4K Back Protector
Boots - Timberland boot 6 inch
Helmet - Caberg Tourmax Sonic - modular helmet

I open all ventilated parts which exist on jacket and on pants.
I sweat like 500kg pig, especially because of the armor on my back which are really thick and it warms my back a lot.
So in summer i need to wash my jacket and pants every 2 week, because all parts where are stitches start to be white because of salt from sweat.

(only few times I ride without jacket, but I bring jacket with me in top case, when is really hot traffic are almost zero, so I try to ride without jacket, but it is not great because when big bug hit you while you ride 70km/h it hurt a lot, that is reason why I buy handguards, hornet hit me in my right fingers while I ride 130km/h, hurt like hell, and my 2 fingers changed few colors in next 2 weeks LOL)

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I still go ATGATT during the heat of the summer, which for me is normally mid to upper 90s.. I have Olympia mesh jacket and pants that really let the air flow. I've found that with the pants, it's actually cooler riding with them over my jeans than it is not wearing them. I think it's because the riding pants are designed to block a lot of the engine heat, which they do very well. My Alpinestar summer gloves vent really well also. The only issue I have is that my boots are waterproof, so they don't vent at all, and my feet get sweaty. But I commute to work mostly and I do get caught in the rain often. So I'd rather have waterproof boots than vented ones. And I carry rain gear on the bike. Now what's hot is when you have to ride in the rain gear in the heat, that sucks. If I'm on my way home, I'll sometimes just get wet because I figure I'll be wet from sweat if I put my rain gear on.
As far as hot boots are concerned, I always wear merino wool socks (Smartwool, etc.) like the hiking socks you get ar REI - about $20 a pair. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but they are the warmest and coolest socks you can wear in any weather, hot or cold.

·
Premium Member
16,151 Posts
I always wear my helmet, boots and gloves. Most of the time i wear a mesh jacket. But my last ride up Angeles Crest Highway I wore a heavy sweat pants and sweat shirt no jacket It was 64 degrees that day and such a nice ride.....

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m pretty much with you with a helmet, boots and gloves; especially when it’s hot out and I’m not in a traffic combat zone. I do wear a mesh jacket sometimes when it’s a bit cooler. My Klim simply isn’t comfy in the heat. Going without a jacket and riding pants on hot days makes life sooo much more comfy and I don’t lose hydration as much it seems - at least until I really need those clothes, which I have luckily not in 50 years of riding! 😳 That said, I find myself doing that more these days despite knowing the risks. In the fatals I’ve seen around here lately, a jacket or pants wouldn’t have meant much. A helmet would have made a real difference in almost all cases.

Reactions: weljo2001

·
Registered
587 Posts
When it gets over 90 degrees its hard to not stow my well vented Scott mesh jacket in my pannier till it cools down. My Spidi riding jeans are crotch vented, good in summer. My summer socks are the thinnest mens dress socks made from bamboo for strength and go with my lighter Alpinstar summer short boots.When I put my feet up on the highway pegs it shoots the cooling air right up my legs! I carry in my panniers light summer gloves. So yea,some days on the highway I go down to a short or long sleeved tee shirt. Not off pavement where spills are easier. Sunscreen in my panniers. You have to consider dehydration which is dangerous too and happens fast. I saw Brad Pitts hot weather riding gear, all white or light silver. Hard to keep clean but white reflects heat and black absorbs it which is why we are getting in trouble in the arctic as the ice melts.

·
Super Moderator
19,152 Posts
I ALWAYS ride ATGATT, mesh, leather or whatever!

When it's HOT I pour some water down my jacket-neck to soak my t-shirt, and MY experience in 110F temps is that I remain cool for 1.5 to 2 hours, at which time I pour MORE water - REPEAT as necessary...!

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
I ALWAYS ride ATGATT, mesh, leather or whatever!

When it's HOT I pour some water down my jacket-neck to soak my t-shirt, and MY experience in 110F temps is that I remain cool for 1.5 to 2 hours, at which time I pour MORE water - REPEAT as necessary...!
That works like a swamp cooler where you are. Here in the southeast it would just make you clammy feeling.

·
Registered
106 Posts

KLIM Induction Jacket works great in the dry California summer heat.

I've even worn it in humid Southeast Asia riding. Even worn it in the middle of a Typhoon with a waterproof outer jacket. Kept me cool in both environments.

I upgraded the stock D30 EVO CE Level 1 armor to D30 EVO CE Level 2 armor (back, shoulder, elbow).

I've gone down on the SOCAL 60 fwy at about 50mph. Car in the fast lane next to me was cut off abruptly by a vehicle jumping out of the carpool lane (double yellow line) and the vehicle swerved into me, causing me to go down. Bumping me, sliding 3 lanes on the 60 fwy, to the right on my & bikes left side. Luckily vehicles behind me were able to stop. No broken bones, just a swollen forearm, wrist, and ribs. I got up and was able to ride the bike home after the CHP took the report. Both vehicles did not stop.

Jacket held up perfectly. Barley can see the 8540D abrasion damage from sliding on my left side (shoulder and elbow) on the concrete fwy. No damage to the Karbonite mesh.

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
That works like a swamp cooler where you are. Here in the southeast it would just make you clammy feeling.
I would think so too. Ed does western Canada to Arizona - lucky guy. Unlike in those places, the humidity in the southeast is legendary. No place for evaporated water to go in the atmosphere south of the Mason-Dixon Line.

Reactions: jaaklucas

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

KLIM Induction Jacket works great in the dry California summer heat.

I've even worn it in humid Southeast Asia riding. Even worn it in the middle of a Typhoon with a waterproof outer jacket. Kept me cool in both environments.

I upgraded the stock D30 EVO CE Level 1 armor to D30 EVO CE Level 2 armor (back, shoulder, elbow).

I've gone down on the SOCAL 60 fwy at about 50mph. Car in the fast lane next to me was cut off abruptly by a vehicle jumping out of the carpool lane (double yellow line) and the vehicle swerved into me, causing me to go down. Bumping me, sliding 3 lanes on the 60 fwy, to the right on my & bikes left side. Luckily vehicles behind me were able to stop. No broken bones, just a swollen forearm, wrist, and ribs. I got up and was able to ride the bike home after the CHP took the report. Both vehicles did not stop.

Jacket held up perfectly. Barley can see the 8540D abrasion damage from sliding on my left side (shoulder and elbow) on the concrete fwy. No damage to the Karbonite mesh.
That’s great to know. Too bad you had to become a tester. I’ve got the Latitude. Hope to never become a tester though. Great jacket. Bought it mainly because of the lighter colors. Still gets warmly.

·
Registered
106 Posts
That’s great to know. Too bad you had to become a tester. I’ve got the Latitude. Hope to never become a tester though. Great jacket. Bought it mainly because of the lighter colors. Still gets warmly.
I was also wearing my Helite Turtle 2 airbag vest. But I hit the ground on the left side first, still attached to the bike so the KLIM jacket (shoulder and elbow armor) took the brunt of me hitting the concrete road surface.

When I became detached from the bike, the airbag vest deployed. My helmet didn't have a scratch on it, nor did my helmet hit the road surface,

The bike was sliding away from me, so I reached out and grabbed the left mirror stalk and pulled myself closer to the bike (while sliding). I didn't want to give the commuters two targets to avoid hitting. At the time I was commenting to myself in my head how far it felt the bike and me were sliding on the road surface. The T-Rex UHMW-PE engine guard slider, Givi aluminum side pannier, and Bark Buster took the road rash in stride + the KLIM jacket and my Forma Terra EVO boot.

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was also wearing my Helite Turtle 2 airbag vest. But I hit the ground on the left side first, still attached to the bike so the KLIM jacket (shoulder and elbow armor) took the brunt of me hitting the concrete road surface.

When I became detached from the bike, the airbag vest deployed. My helmet didn't have a scratch on it, nor did my helmet hit the road surface,

The bike was sliding away from me, so I reached out and grabbed the left mirror stalk and pulled myself closer to the bike (while sliding). I didn't want to give the commuters two targets to avoid hitting. At the time I was commenting to myself in my head how far it felt the bike and me were sliding on the road surface. The T-Rex UHMW-PE engine guard slider, Givi aluminum side pannier, and Bark Buster took the road rash in stride + the KLIM jacket and my Forma Terra EVO boot.
Fascinating about the airbag vest. Looked at Helite Turtle 2 Airbag Vest Black and very cool!

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Full gear. It was 90 degrees F in this photo. (not my Versys I know)

View attachment 179503
I’m sure the white colors helps a bit too. No idea why companies don’t do more of that. Lots of black and gray, which makes us even harder to see - plus much more heat absorbent. Makes no sense.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts