Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300; 14/46 sprockets (stock);
670 Posts
The bike does feel more peppy, but not sure if it's due to the sound influencing my perception or an actual performance change.
So I reckon either it "IS" better, or it "FEELS/SOUNDS" better -- so a win for you either way !

My brother put a Yoshimura full exhaust on his CRF300 ... and I'm convinced it made a difference performance wise. And it sounds pretty good too !

Congratulations (y)

Reactions: Itsgordo and Respen

·
Registered
Vx300 15/48 Team Green Rocks!
588 Posts
So I reckon either it "IS" better, or it "FEELS/SOUNDS" better -- so a win for you either way !

My brother put a Yoshimura full exhaust on his CRF300 ... and I'm convinced it made a difference performance wise. And it sounds pretty good too !

Congratulations (y)
I’ve been eyeballing the Yoshimura slip on for my Vx. It looks and sounds pretty good. Didn’t sound too loud on utube, but it’s hard to tell. I wouldn’t expect a performance boost, but am not opposed to that. My 2017 muffler is starting to show some corrosion. I’ll probably just clean it up and paint it until I have extra cash burning a hole in my pocket. I’m thinking for looks and mostly thr testosterone boost that comes with the cool sound. I really don’t want loud tho. My neighbors have complimented me on the quiet sound of the stock and I do roll in during the wee hours of the night. Unlike the Harley 4 doors down that’s loud enough to wake the whole city block 😂

·
Registered
670 Posts
I’ve been eyeballing the Yoshimura slip on for my Vx. It looks and sounds pretty good. Didn’t sound too loud on utube, but it’s hard to tell. I wouldn’t expect a performance boost, but am not opposed to that. My 2017 muffler is starting to show some corrosion. I’ll probably just clean it up and paint it until I have extra cash burning a hole in my pocket. I’m thinking for looks and mostly thr testosterone boost that comes with the cool sound. I really don’t want loud tho. My neighbors have complimented me on the quiet sound of the stock and I do roll in during the wee hours of the night. Unlike the Harley 4 doors down that’s loud enough to wake the whole city block 😂
If the Yoshi for the Versys is similar to the CRF in sound, I would not call it loud. It has a deeper "growl", but not loud.

I had a FMF PowerCore 4 full exhaust on a CRF250L I had a few years back. It was loud! (It was on the bike when I bought it). MUCH louder than the Yoshi on my brother's CRF300L.

Reactions: Itsgordo

·
Registered
11 Posts
Today (actually this past weekend) I rode all 100 miles of the White Rim Trail, Canyonlands National Park, near Moab, Utah, with my friend who rides a Tenere 700. My Versys did at least as well as the Tenere on the trail, arguably better (on hwy was a different story, haha). The video of Shafer Canyon was shot about 9am, first thing we did that day. What a spectacular start! The 'rough terrain' video is long-ish for watching a trail video in real time, but gives a good representation of the varied terrain conditions
Plant Sky Cloud Mountain Bedrock

Video:
Shafer Canyon switchbacks on the White Rim Trails
Rough terrain (about 3:15) on the White Rim Trail
More pics:
Cloud Sky Natural landscape Bedrock Landscape

Cloud Sky Wheel Tire Plant

Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Motorcycle

Sky Tire Cloud Wheel Plant

Sky Cloud Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
670 Posts
Looks like a great time !

Reactions: GeoGator

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jetsen, What tires do you have and do you have an after market exhaust?
Shinko Adventure Trail E-804/805 and Yoshimura slip-on exhaust. The exhaust is probably my favorite mod (and the most useless). I caught so much grief from my wife for buying it, but the purr produced by Versys now is very gratifying. To its credit, the Yoshi is significantly lighter than stock.

·
Registered
2021 Versys-X 300 2021 Z900RS
305 Posts
Jetsen, The exhaust sounds good. I was hoping you would say that it was stock. I ride with ear plugs and music in my helmet so I can't really hear the exhaust note, I'll just pretend it sounds as good as yours. 😆

·
Registered
670 Posts
Shinko Adventure Trail E-804/805 and Yoshimura slip-on exhaust. The exhaust is probably my favorite mod (and the most useless). I caught so much grief from my wife for buying it, but the purr produced by Versys now is very gratifying. To its credit, the Yoshi is significantly lighter than stock.
Any chance you could post a sound byte of the exhaust? Couldn't hear much on the video.

Did you do anything with the airbox or ecu to go along with the exhaust? Any popping/negatives ? (I like the yoshi on my brother's crf300... but the money isn't there <yet> for my moto budget 😁 !

Thanks again for the report/photos 👍🏻

EDIT:
  • "Where am I ? What am I doing?" ... gotta be a story behind that somewhere ? ;-)
  • I like the looks of that "inkbird" thermometer/hygrometer ... working good for you / seem pretty accurate ? Looks reasonable priced on amazon ...

·
Registered
588 Posts
Looks like you had some great adventure there!
I 2nd JT’s request for a Yoshi video or sound track. I saw a utube and liked that gratifying sound I heard, but it was a marketing piece. I’d put more stock into a user generated clip. And, what are your thoughts on it’s loudness? I’m not really keen on disturbing the neighborhood at night. I can control myself on avoiding applying excessive throttle in the hood 😂. Hope the missus has gotten over the expense...

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Installed a Two Brothers exhaust Friday night and took it for a spin on Saturday. Definitely too loud stock, so went ahead and ordered the db killer for it.
Installed the sound suppressor last night and things are much better. The bike is still loud but it's no longer LOUD. I commuted to work without the suppressor Monday through Wednesday. Kept the bike in the highest gear possible in a futile attempt to quiet it a bit. By Thursday I'd had enough and drove my car. Glad the suppressor showed up that night.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Yet another gear change 15/48
6k=52mph
7k=60
8k=69
9k=77
For reference 14/48 results were:
Top speed 102 MPH, rev limited
10k=80mph
9k=72
8k=65
7k=57

Any more sprocket would need another chain link. As is, there’s just under 1/16” of thread beyond the chain adjusting lock nuts.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I got the final piece of my Father's day gift yesterday, and installed it today!
* accessory bar frame that mounts behind the windshield and allows for some adjustments on the windshield... and sets it about1" forward (same as @GeoGator ... thanks for the inspiration!) (Got on Amazon- Allroundsuppler brand ... took about 2wks to arrive from China)

* Ram Mount Quick Grip phone holder with short extension arm and bar mount.

It works great! The phone holder is easy to use one
-handed. Using my givi windscreen, and mounting about half way in the adjustment range, the windflow is reduced; quieter and less buffeting (wasn't too bad to start with).

I really like it!

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Sky Plant Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
588 Posts
Very nice! My bike came with a GIVI windscreen. I’m glad I asked if he still had the stock screen. He produced it and tossed it in. Not sure if it’s same as urs. It flexed a bit more than I liked. I may revisit that. Maybe reinforce it? I edited my previous post with the 14/48 results for reference.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Probably the same windshield. It does have some flex. It hasn't been too bothersome since I typically ride backroads and lower speeds ... not interstate bursts like you! I got the factory windscreen in the kitty as well ... in case it becomes useful. 👍🏻

I'll be interested to see how it all works together next time I'm bounding down a forest service road.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I recall my GIVI angling back towards the driver a bit. Not a bad thing when seated, but I thought it could be a hazard if standing up over rough terrain?
This from the guy who almost ran himself over with his own bike one day...I’m cruising at a healthy clip down a dirt road, swampy either side. Out of nowhere, I was launched up probably 10’ and came down front tire first. My waist caught the handlebar’s crossbar on my XL125 and I was holding on for dear life trying not to run myself over. Got a great view of the front tire before wrestling myself back into a proper riding position. WTF just happened?!? I circled back and found an 8” turtle with a cracked shell. Blended right in with the road. A little more so after I was done with him. So yeah, I’m kind of aware of what’s in front of me on the bike. Looked like a throat slicer to me 🤔

·
Registered
670 Posts
I did my grocery getter mod and went to Aldi.
View attachment 188902
I know, I posted one of these last year. So for those who missed it. Have a laugh on me.
That is awesome. Easier to lift the front tire with Aldi powered counterbalance 😁

Reactions: GeoGator
21 - 40 of 56 Posts