Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1261 - 1280 of 1386 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
Went riding this AM at 0800, in moderate rain, to fill my tank w/ gas and Stabil fuel stabilizer, then a further 30 kms so everything got up to temp, then back to my garage (STILL raining...) to set the GREEN HORNET TOO up for its five-and-a-half month 'sojourn' - locked in my BC garage - while I head S to AZ.

While checking, I saw that my left footpeg could rotate about 30 degrees or so, so I removed it and "fixed" the problem, which entailed cleaning everything, then torquing it back to "spec".

ALL good now!

:cool:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Front turn signal clearance

Some pictures of the T-Rex engine guards and luggage bars together + turn signal clearance.
I tried laying it down to see what the clearance looked like and in a normal position the turn signal didn't touch. As I mentioned when my bike went down it was top heavy and hit all the way onto the handlebars. In that position the turn signal hit....

Attachments

·
Registered
804 Posts
Just spent 6 days in Stecoah, NC breaking in a new rear tire(my 13th) on my '15. Met a friend that came down from Ottawa, On. He brought down his DR 650 which also worked fine on those marvy NC roads.

The bike now has 68,546 miles on the odo. It's been awesome to this point. Only 190k miles to reach where my(formerly owned) old C10 Connie is at currently.

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
Well it was a beautiful high here today of 75 degrees so took the bike for a BBQ run. No video because i don't want any ATGATT guys to have a stroke...:grin2::grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Finally got out on the new bike (a 2012 V650); did about 100 miles of backroads and a few miles of slab.

This is a great bike; can’t wait to put some real miles on it!

I still consider myself a new rider… this is my third bike but I’ve probably spent just as much time wrenching as I have actually riding. This bike will change that. Coming from a V-Strom, it feels lighter, more agile, and overall more enjoyable to ride. A few observations:
-100mph is no big deal for this bike. So smooth. Except for…
-I’ll need a different windscreen for longer distance rides. Highway speeds resulted in decent buffeting.
-Lifting the front wheel takes very little effort…
-It’s a bit touchy at slow speed, around 2500-3500 rpm. It's probably never had a TB sync.

On paper, this bike is more “cramped” than the Strom was, but feels more comfortable in practice. Based on several posts here, I ordered and have a printed seat riser (thanks @Rawkstar320) in the garage but need to pick up longer bolts. I can imagine lowered pegs might be a good thing as well...

I need to fine-tune the suspension setup but I'm already loving this bike!

Pulled over to snap a pic of the Versys...

·
Registered
804 Posts
Finally got out on the new bike (a 2012 V650); did about 100 miles of backroads and a few miles of slab.

This is a great bike; can’t wait to put some real miles on it!

I still consider myself a new rider… this is my third bike but I’ve probably spent just as much time wrenching as I have actually riding. This bike will change that. Coming from a V-Strom, it feels lighter, more agile, and overall more enjoyable to ride. A few observations:
-100mph is no big deal for this bike. So smooth. Except for…
-I’ll need a different windscreen for longer distance rides. Highway speeds resulted in decent buffeting.
-Lifting the front wheel takes very little effort…
-It’s a bit touchy at slow speed, around 2500-3500 rpm. It's probably never had a TB sync.

On paper, this bike is more “cramped” than the Strom was, but feels more comfortable in practice. Based on several posts here, I ordered and have a printed seat riser (thanks @Rawkstar320) in the garage but need to pick up longer bolts. I can imagine lowered pegs might be a good thing as well...

I need to fine-tune the suspension setup but I'm already loving this bike!

Pulled over to snap a pic of the Versys...
Nice.

An idea for the buffeting. Kinda hard to tell from the pick but it looks like it has a wider opening on top than the bottom on the windshield deflector. This would/could induce some buffeting, I think. I have an add on deflector and have it adjusted so more air is forced in at the bottom(wider opening on the bottom) and the buffeting got greatly reduced as the rushing air now goes over the helmet. It may take a few tries to find the sweet spot.

Good luck and have fun.

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
...have a printed seat riser (thanks @Rawkstar320) in the garage but need to pick up longer bolts. I can imagine lowered pegs might be a good thing as well....
6 x 45mm bolts should work (maybe slightly shorter...), and you will DEFINITELY like the lowered footpegs, as they REALLY 'open-up the rider triangle'!

>:)

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
rode home with the fuel blinking at me for the last 15 miles. came on at 220 miles. 3 days is 235 miles. i'll fill up monday on the way in and get the actual mpg. 3 days between fill ups is great by me.

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
Went over the brakes on BIG RED this AM, prepping for a multi-day ride w/ a buddy....:grin2:
Finished the work I started, on my brakes - cleaned up the "sliders", then bled the brakes front and rear.
Rode to Mass this morning, and was AMAZED at how much better the brakes felt since my "maintenance" work.:clap: - :clap:

Dirty work, but other than THAT - NOT too bad to do!

:thumb: - :thumb:

·
Registered
32 Posts
After cleaning and lubing the chain this weekend, I checked chain tension today. Chain's loose again. I can tighten that thing every 800km, going from 25mm slack to +35mm.

Oké, I like to let her rip, but I doubt the chain will last long.

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
Rode to a luncheon that I "honcho" for retired Canadian airline pilots 'snow-birding' here in the Phoenix area, and saw an early Gold Wing (4 cylinder) w/ clip-ons, MAYBE a 1975..., ridden by a woman.

NICE looking bike!

IMG_2857 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

:thumb: - :thumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I believe it's not really yours untill you dump it the first time.....arrrgh! I put my side cases on to get extra groceries this time....and as I swung in to get get my usual parking spot by the light pole, right at the moment of no return I realized I had forgot the side cases were on and caught one of the cases on the little yellow poles that protect the light pole. I scraped the drivers side case just enough for it to spring out like someone shoved it with there foot. So I high sided it I guess, bailed off the passenger side. Givi makes good cases, just scraped it up some.

I'm like, now how did I see that girl lift that big bike on you tube? ...anyhow I didn't do it right and my back popped like a big dog... and I almost fell to my knees. I'm a light weight (126lbs.) I had noticed out of the corner of my eye a Sheriff had passed as it happened and he came back and helped me lift it....I shook his hand and said, thank you so much, YOU SAVED ME!!!

My back is healing slowly, It's been five days and still riding, thinking.....You better remember next time!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Installed Barkbuster DRL and Indicator LEDs onto my handguards. While I was crimping 3.9 bullet connectors onto the turn signals wiring, I took the metal clips off from both my front turn signals.

If I drop the bike the turn signals will hopefully pop away from the side panels, instead of cracking the side panels in the case of a fall.

My spare OEM rear rim from eBay arrived, rim was in better condition than described online. I'll have to take it to the dealership to mount the Mitas E-07 Dakar onto it.

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
Went for a "multi-purpose" ride this AM: first the bank for some $, then Walmart for a replacement camera-tripod (for my trips), then to Home Depot to look at BBQs, then over to a friend's manufacturing place - he owns JESSE LUGGAGE as well as manufacturing other stuff.

Nice visit, catching up on 'news', then made a tentative "get-together-for-lunch" in a week or two, then back home - gotta get READY for a four or five day ride w/ a neighbor starting Friday AM, visiting the North Rim of the Grand Canyon enroute to Bryce Canyon and Red Rocks Canyon then thru Utah to the Moki Dugway and Mexican Hat followed by riding SW thru Monument Valley, and some other suitably MAGNIFICENT areas on the ride back to Florence...!

:grin2:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Went for a "multi-purpose" ride this AM: first the bank for some $, then Walmart for a replacement camera-tripod (for my trips), then to Home Depot to look at BBQs, then over to a friend's manufacturing place - he owns JESSE LUGGAGE as well as manufacturing other stuff.

Nice visit, catching up on 'news', then made a tentative "get-together-for-lunch" in a week or two, then back home - gotta get READY for a four or five day ride w/ a neighbor starting Friday AM, visiting the North Rim of the Grand Canyon enroute to Bryce Canyon and Red Rocks Canyon then thru Utah to the Moki Dugway and Mexican Hat followed by riding SW thru Monument Valley, and some other suitably MAGNIFICENT areas on the ride back to Florence...!

:grin2:
Sounds awesome.

1261 - 1280 of 1386 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.