Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

What did you do on your Versys today?/ 2024 Hey Include Some Photos!!

82K views 955 replies 93 participants last post by  JT in GA 
#1 ·
Well this is hard to believe but my last ride November 10th, I had electrical problems, almost identical to early spring 2021. I was over 200 KM from home, it was around 3'C with high cross winds, gusts to 70KM/HR when I started out. I was running my oxford grips at 75% due to the cross winds, Barkbusters are only so good. I have the Givi muffs sitting on the shelf in the garage-I never was comfortable riding with them. Anyway it was a ride of 2.5 hours straight. I stopped just south of Wiarton on Grey road 1. There is a dive site I go to, I was there 15 minutes. I start up and first thing I am in the red. I rode south and 30 minutes later stopped at my lunch spot.

So after 30 minutes of riding with no heated gear and my grips at 50% I stopped for lunch
Warmed up to 10"c by this time, I got my trusty Peak 1 stove out and heated up my pot of Chili--next time I will take a photo of the chili 😁
So from this spot it is around 210 KM to my house.

So about 45 minutes later I head south,I am certain I have a single phase condition, identical to what happened in the spring. So heading for Hariston, fuel up there, I was considering bump starting it, but by putting on a extra jacket, I was able to keep warm and I was always in 2 green LED so around 13.7 to 13.9 VDC - no worries at that voltage-I also dimmed my Denali lights, although 1 amp isn't going to kill the battery / alternator.

Gased up with no problems and headed for home, 5 KM from Home I had all 3 phases again, high beam on, grips at 100% and 3 green led. That lasted 3 minutes and less than 1 KM it went back to single phase. This spring after the ride, I took out all the extra wiring for testing Polaris regulators. The 3 phase connector is one of those circuits the the wire is so short I had to re-route my fuel injection line and even so, it took two pairs of needle nose pliers to close the connector. I suspect one of those male pins is beside the female pin instead of being in the female pin.

So Ontario is heading into a bit of a cold spell. I have been waiting for a new window since September 18, 2021 3 feet by 4 feet, so yesterday I put some foam board in and tomorrow I start on the bike. So I have started on the bike. I in tend to do what I did on the headlight wiring which I extended 8 inches. This stator plug wiring will be a extra 18 inches longer, I want to be able to see the connector and hold it in my hands.I am looking at installing a USB outlet in my Givi top box, live all the time, I can then charge batteries in there for my GoPro or leave my phone to charge in there.
I also need to get back to the plug and play Triumph harness for the Polaris regulator. I have some ideas but the bike comes first.

See less See more
#293 ·
I was riding today after work. It was +10 degrees of Celsius, not frozen but pretty cold. So the oil in the suspension behaved differently and suspension, especially at front was working better than in +20. Can someone please explain why and how I might achieve that performance on the suspension in warm weather?

Also low beam lamp died, and as I was reading this forum, I should not buy some fancy Ostam or Philips bulb but stick to base cheap one - or I misunderstood?

#295 ·
I'm no expert but regarding the fork performance, it sounds like you would benefit from thicker fork oils.

On the low beams, that is one way to put it.
In my understanding the higher lumens incandescent bulbs will burn brighter but will not last as long.
For LED's this can burn out the regulator if the saved energy is not used somewhere else. A good example would be adding more running lights and heater accessories then changing the low beam bulb to LED. Explanation can get more complicated, better explained on one of OneWizard's thread.

#296 ·
Going back to topic:
Forecast was for a lot of rains this weekend, got the riding itch scratched before the weather and roads get worse.
Went for my favorite twisties and there were parts under construction but the parts done was very enjoyable despite a lot of leaves and mud due to the recent rains.
Did a quick stop overlooking the volcano inside the lake:
Sky Cloud Water Wheel Helmet

And my alibi or excuse for going out on a Friday workday, buying fresh lettuce and cucumbers for lunch at the local farm:
Wheel Tire Plant Fuel tank Plant community

Plant Luggage and bags Bag Basket Grass

#299 ·
I rode Phantom to store at my mom's for a while during our home remodel. We're moving out of our house, and needed all the vehicles out of the garage to let our contractors work and store their trailer. I likely will only ride about once a month. I talked to her almost the whole ride there, saying, "I'm taking you to Mom's for a while. It's only for a little while. It doesn't mean Mama doesn't love you. We'll still ride, just not as much." :sneaky:

#300 · (Edited)
Nice and beautiful sunny day so i take 160 km ride (at least I thought it would be sunny the whole way )

I again find mushroms and take them home, this time they are hugh size

After 80 km of ride little rain start so I take shelter until rain stop approximately 15-20 minutes,

But on returning to home 30km from my home I get in some kind of sudden storm, very strong wind, ultra heavy rain and small ice (HAIL).
At the last minute I managed to duck under a small covered bus stop with motorbike to escape the hail and rain. But since the bus stop is relatively small, and the wind was blowin in that way that it carries the rain under the bus stop, my entire right side of my body was in the heavy rain for 2-4 minutes, and I was soaked to the skin.
I drove home 20-30km/h over the speed limit (country road 90% of the way to my house, no people and no police) to get home as soon as possible and take off wet clothes and warm up under a hot shower.

Mostly an interesting ride and it will be a nice dinner again :)

Wheel Tire Plant Fuel tank Automotive tire

Tire Plant Wheel Motorcycle Vehicle

Plant Plant community Mushroom Terrestrial plant Natural landscape

Plant Natural environment Mushroom Wood Natural landscape

Plant Plant community Tree Natural landscape Mushroom

Plant Textile Toy Fruit Tableware

Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Deep frying

Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Staple food

Food Tableware Dishware Ingredient Recipe

#301 ·
Nice and beautiful sunny day so i take 160 km ride (at least I thought it would be sunny the whole way )

I again find mushroms and take them home, this time they are hugh size

After 80 km of ride little rain start so I take shelter until rain stop approximately 15-20 minutes,

But on returning to home 30km from my home I get in some kind of sudden storm, very strong wind, ultra heavy rain and small ice (HAIL).
At the last minute I managed to duck under a small covered bus stop with motorbike to escape the hail and rain. But since the bus stop is relatively small, and the wind was blowin in that way that it carries the rain under the bus stop, my entire right side of my body was in the heavy rain for 2-4 minutes, and I was soaked to the skin.
I drove home 20-30km/h over the speed limit (country road 90% of the way to my house, no people and no police) to get home as soon as possible and take off wet clothes and warm up under a hot shower.

Mostly an interesting ride and it will be a nice dinner again :)

View attachment 190486

View attachment 190487

View attachment 190488

View attachment 190489

View attachment 190490

View attachment 190491
Sounds fun ! (Except for the rain and hail ?!)

Hope you got the bike in the dry and the chain all cleaned and lubed after that storm !

#311 ·
I've really enjoyed the ride photos, albeit with just a wee bit of envy. Glad to see that you have made it safely home.

The only ride I have done this week is to ride about 65 miles down the road to a veggie stand to get some fresh tomatoes and a few packs of Georgia peanuts. I did see some nice sunflowers though. :)

Flower Plant Sky Petal Tree

#312 ·
Wheel Tire Sky Plant Vehicle

Longmont to Grand Lake via Trailridge Rd in Rocky Mountain National park and back to Estes Park and back home via Peak to Peak hwy.
Cloud Sky Plant Plant community People in nature

Cloud Sky Mountain Slope Highland

Tire Cloud Wheel Land vehicle Plant

Cloud Sky Natural landscape Mountain Highland

Cloud Tire Sky Wheel Ecoregion

Cloud Sky Ecoregion Natural landscape Road surface

Property Ecoregion Map Font World

Font Slope Parallel Terrestrial plant Plot

@5280 Roadrunner - Thought of sending a message last night when I decided on this at the last minute. Had to leave early to make it into the park before reservations kick in.

The National Parks are truly a National Treasure!!
It is the Elk rutting season and got a display of the bugling and herding and two big bulls clashing. Beautiful day, beautiful place, a responsive machine, one very happy rider :)

Attachments

#314 · (Edited)
View attachment 190700
Longmont to Grand Lake via Trailridge Rd in Rocky Mountain National park and back to Estes Park and back home via Peak to Peak hwy.
View attachment 190698
View attachment 190697
View attachment 190701
View attachment 190696
View attachment 190699
View attachment 190694

View attachment 190693
View attachment 190692
@5280 Roadrunner - Thought of sending a message last night when I decided on this at the last minute. Had to leave early to make it into the park before reservations kick in.

The National Parks are truly a National Treasure!!
It is the Elk rutting season and got a display of the bugling and herding and two big bulls clashing. Beautiful day, beautiful place, a responsive machine, one very happy rider :)
Great pictures and looks like you had a great ride. Glad to see Trail Ridge road was open

#313 ·
Replaced the Segway labels on my Givi E21N cases with something more appropriate and went for a ride. My good wife wanted to see the hang gliders again - so we did just that ! Saw some paragliders jumping/floating off the side of the mountain too !

Sky Plant Parachute People in nature Paragliding

Material property Cookware and bakeware Gas Tints and shades Beige

Tints and shades Electric blue Composite material Fashion accessory Eyewear

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Sky Parachute Water Paragliding Parachuting

Sky Powered hang glider Vehicle Monoplane Aircraft

#321 ·
Rode up to WA to go toodle around through the woods (Gifford Pinchot national forest). Started off with Panther Creek falls, then worked my way over near Mt. Adams. First time being on any sort of non-paved road, and the Versys continues to impress.

Plant Wood Terrestrial plant Natural landscape Vegetation
People in nature Natural landscape Wood Paint Trunk
Sky Plant Automotive tire Vehicle Tire
Flower Sky Plant Plant community Ecoregion
Plant Natural landscape Road surface Wood Asphalt
Sky Vehicle Ecoregion Natural landscape Water

The last 20 minutes or so of my off-road adventure was awfully sketchy with the road being comprised of massive hunks of 'gravel' with enormous ruts like small canyons carved into the middle. Definitely not somewhere I had any business being with no real off-road experience. The bike only decided to take one short nap in the sand, but I was able to get it back up and on my way in short order.

Very sore/tired.

Bike's getting a much needed and well-deserved bath tomorrow.

#324 ·
Rode up to WA to go toodle around through the woods (Gifford Pinchot national forest). Started off with Panther Creek falls, then worked my way over near Mt. Adams. First time being on any sort of non-paved road, and the Versys continues to impress.

Very sore/tired.

Bike's getting a much needed and well-deserved bath tomorrow.
I drove all over WA. Mount Rainer, the Peninsula, the coast, as long as you stay on the improved dirt roads, the Versys can handle it. I really miss it at times.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk