Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,531 Posts
I needed some lab-work done for a coming operation, so I was "out-of-the-house" by 0720, at the lab by 0750 where I joined a 'congo-line' of about 20 waiting for the lab to open at 0800.

I had done ALL THIS yesterday from about 1330 to 1530, BUT a significant portion of the testing was missed. When I identified myself this AM I was immediately moved to "NUMBER ONE" in the line, then tested and back on the GREEN HORNET TOO w/in about 10 mins. I had chores back home, so I filled the gas-tank (my math says I got 27.3 kms/L, or 77 mpgImperial [61.7 mpgUS]), which AIN'T half-bad!

Nice morning, but a TOO SHORT ride - fun nonetheless.

(y)(y)

:cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ordered a front tire, brake pads, and scheduled service for July.
Front tire: side wear bars are flush, middle still a littlie thick (dad bod?), guess I need more highway trips:
Automotive tire Wood Tints and shades Flooring Rim

For those interested, this are Shinko Ravens:
Front tire is about 13'200km (and counting until scheduled PMS
Rear tire lasted around 10'000km
Very satisfied with performance wet and dry but might not be for folks in colder climates.

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300; 14/46 sprockets (stock);
670 Posts
Reactions: Gerinemo

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well this is hard to believe but my last ride November 10th, I had electrical problems, almost identical to early spring 2021. I was over 200 KM from home, it was around 3'C with high cross winds, gusts to 70KM/HR when I started out. I was running my oxford grips at 75% due to the cross winds, Barkbusters are only so good. I have the Givi muffs sitting on the shelf in the garage-I never was comfortable riding with them. Anyway it was a ride of 2.5 hours straight. I stopped just south of Wiarton on Grey road 1. There is a dive site I go to, I was there 15 minutes. I start up and first thing I am in the red. I rode south and 30 minutes later stopped at my lunch spot.

So after 30 minutes of riding with no heated gear and my grips at 50% I stopped for lunch
Warmed up to 10"c by this time, I got my trusty Peak 1 stove out and heated up my pot of Chili--next time I will take a photo of the chili 😁
So from this spot it is around 210 KM to my house.

So about 45 minutes later I head south,I am certain I have a single phase condition, identical to what happened in the spring. So heading for Hariston, fuel up there, I was considering bump starting it, but by putting on a extra jacket, I was able to keep warm and I was always in 2 green LED so around 13.7 to 13.9 VDC - no worries at that voltage-I also dimmed my Denali lights, although 1 amp isn't going to kill the battery / alternator.

Gased up with no problems and headed for home, 5 KM from Home I had all 3 phases again, high beam on, grips at 100% and 3 green led. That lasted 3 minutes and less than 1 KM it went back to single phase. This spring after the ride, I took out all the extra wiring for testing Polaris regulators. The 3 phase connector is one of those circuits the the wire is so short I had to re-route my fuel injection line and even so, it took two pairs of needle nose pliers to close the connector. I suspect one of those male pins is beside the female pin instead of being in the female pin.

So Ontario is heading into a bit of a cold spell. I have been waiting for a new window since September 18, 2021 3 feet by 4 feet, so yesterday I put some foam board in and tomorrow I start on the bike. So I have started on the bike. I in tend to do what I did on the headlight wiring which I extended 8 inches. This stator plug wiring will be a extra 18 inches longer, I want to be able to see the connector and hold it in my hands.I am looking at installing a USB outlet in my Givi top box, live all the time, I can then charge batteries in there for my GoPro or leave my phone to charge in there.
I also need to get back to the plug and play Triumph harness for the Polaris regulator. I have some ideas but the bike comes first.

·
Super Moderator
21,531 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Was time to clean my chain so I pulled out my new ChainBath tool and gave it a try. After a few spins of the wheel and one pass around with a grunge brush my chain looked new.
Bicycle Crankset Wheel Gear Bicycle chain

After that I did the usual walk around bike inspection and found a disappointing sight on my front tire.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

It appears that the tread is literally separating along that line, after poking and prodding it with a small screwdriver. So a trip to RevZilla.com was necessary and my wallet had a small 😢 as I agreed to spend the necessary $$$ to get a set of Road 6s shipped to the house.

·
Super Moderator
21,531 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
GLAD you found that 'crack' BEFORE it caused you to crash!
Agreed Eddie!
I felt some front wheel vibration under braking the last few rides and I couldn't figure it out. It wasn't brake shake because it went away at slow speeds but it didn't feel like an imbalance because it was only under braking that I really noticed it. Now that I've pulled the front wheel, I can't decide if it was coming from this 'crack' or if it was coming from the fact that the dealer never installed the fork pinch bolt and the front axle was not 'gudentite':( but was more like 'good enough for government work' 😂. I'll have to take some of the blame on that miss though, I should have caught that missing bolt on my weekly walk around before now.
Oh well, now I just get to sit around waiting for the postman to deliver some new tires cough I mean working.

121 - 133 of 133 Posts