Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
521 - 525 of 525 Posts

· Registered
191 Posts
Replaced the clutch cable on my 90K kms 2010 gen2 650, with a new one (54011-0082)... This is the 2nd one I replace in this bike, the 1st one just broke some 40K kms ago... What a difference!!... Much softer now (y)...

The old one was so stiff, that I was expecting to have heavy deterioration in it... So I took it out of the sleeve and it seemed relatively OK... Maybe the heavy wear was in the sleeve inner lining?...

I know that having short levers doesn't help here (and that I'm not getting any younger either :whistle:) but, have you guys also experienced a really really hard to pull clutch?... Is this normal?...

Mind you, the cable was well routed, always well lubed, not frayed and the clutch springs are well within specs...

Ride safe ✌

· Registered
208 Posts
Phantom was sitting in my mom's garage for nearly four months while our place was getting a full remodel. I brought her home a month ago, then weather, health, and trips away kept me from riding. Today is gorgeous, and I had to get her inspected. I've been riding one of my FIL's bikes when we go out to their place, and it felt so good to be back in my own saddle. Naturally, I had to take a longer route home so I could...you know...reacclimate myself to my bike. 😁 Hopefully the weather holds this weekend, because I have nothing on the calendar!

· Super Moderator
22,408 Posts
MY clutch-cables have always had a relatively easy 'pull', at least UNTIL the cable dies (after a LONG time!).

· Registered
191 Posts
MY clutch-cables have always had a relatively easy 'pull', at least UNTIL the cable dies (after a LONG time!).
What bugged me was that, upon visual inspection, my cable was still good to last a long time... But the pull was getting really really hard... :unsure: :unsure:

What I believe might be the cause of this... Mind you this is just an idea, I didn't check it... The clutch cable has 2 curved (aluminum?) tubes, one at each end... As the cable rubs the inside of these curves, it starts to dig a small groove in the tube... Digging a deeper and deeper groove with each clutch pull, thus increasing friction more and more over time...

It remains to say that most of my riding is (was) in urban environment in the midst of heavy traffic... Meaning dozens(?) of gears changes per mile, contrary to riding on open roads in the country side ...

Ride safe ✌

521 - 525 of 525 Posts