Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
361 - 380 of 461 Posts

· Registered
versys 650 2008 orange
340 Posts
Had some time and electricity, disassembled rear end of my bike. Wanted to check bearings, axles and need to fix broken chain tension bolt.

Shock and swingarm bearings need to be replaced. Swingarm axle in perfect condition. Which is really surprising for a 15 years old bike. Rear wheel axle needs some polishing. Wheel bearings are fine.

And seems like I cannot remove chain from front sprocket. And I have no tools and no wish to do that.

As for removing broken bolt, i have no other choice except using some acid. I have it, i used it, but it would be better if i take swingarm in a warm place, and i cannot.

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Wood

Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Tread

Automotive tire Gas Rim Automotive wheel system Composite material

Automotive tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bicycle part

· Registered
222 Posts
Been there and bought the tee shirt
Both chain adjustment bolts snapped off like they were made of chocolate
Drilled and tapped a new hole just above where the original was and stuck in a couple of new bolts and the job is oxo
Don't forget regularly clear the drain hole in the swing arm left hand side and spray in some wd40 every few weeks to stop the bolts seizing

· Registered
versys 650 2008 orange
340 Posts
I do not want, at least for now, making new hole. I will try to remove broken part, and then install repair kit.

I do not have an impact gun, so I cannot remove front sprocket, otherwise would make removing easier and faster.

Anyways, meanwhile I am working on new windshield stays. You can check the progress in my post

Windscreen brackets / mounts / stays from v3 to v1

· Registered
versys 650 2008 orange
340 Posts
Is there a way to remove front sprocket without impact gun and with swingarm remover already?

Or is there a way to remove chain from front sprocket without cutting a chain or removing sprocket itself? Seems like some sleeve doesn't allow to do it.

· Registered
versys 650 2008 orange
340 Posts
Been there and bought the tee shirt
Both chain adjustment bolts snapped off like they were made of chocolate
Drilled and tapped a new hole just above where the original was and stuck in a couple of new bolts and the job is oxo
Don't forget regularly clear the drain hole in the swing arm left hand side and spray in some wd40 every few weeks to stop the bolts seizing
Did you mean this hole? Completely clogged.

Why it is so small? What if I drill it out for 5mm?

Automotive tire Plumbing fixture Gas Cylinder Plumbing

· Registered
222 Posts
Yep that's the one
The water / crud enter's the swing arm and settles at the lowest part and the chain adjuster bolt would be sitting in water
Poke it through with the straw of a can of wd 40 and watch the water run out
Then give it a liberal dose of oil to stop the bolt rusting next time
There is also a bigger hole on the right hand side of the swing arm a little higher up that i also regularly give a squirt of oil to

· Registered
222 Posts
My repairs after the chain adjustment bolts sheared off on the V
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Bumper Automotive exterior

And for those stubborn nuts and bolts like the front sprocket I picked up one of these !/2" impact wrench
Maybe a little overkill but makes life a little easier :)
Pneumatic tool Handheld power drill Tool Drill Impact wrench

· Registered
222 Posts
I do not understand why holes on the right side are much bigger than on the left. Left is lower on side stand
Yes the hole on right hand side is bigger alright
Maybe as the left side hole is at the smallest part of the swingarm a bigger hole might weaken it where the right hand side has a lot more meat on it
just thinking out loud

· Registered
184 Posts
I have observed (I am not a fabricator) strange holes in frames are usually there to relieve internal pressure when welding so the hot welds are not blown out and also in some conditions to supply a back fill of inert gas in the space.
Holes are sometimes left open for drainage after the fact or may sealed in some places.

· Registered
27 Posts
Cloud Tire Sky Water Wheel

Plant Natural landscape Tree Wood Trunk

Rode north of town to meet my riding buddy JS for a non-epic Sunday ride. He has an old KLH 650 and I have an X300. I ran out of gas just as I pulled into his driveway(!). Duh. He poured half a gallon into my tank and we headed off to a nearby station. First time for everything…

We rode around Lake Jackson, a large freshwater lake, in balmy temps (low 70s). We stopped at several boat landings to talk about the ecology and management of this water body. Lots of history there too.

It was a fine ride.

· Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300 (non ABS)
1,232 Posts
View attachment 191561
View attachment 191562
Rode north of town to meet my riding buddy JS for a non-epic Sunday ride. He has an old KLH 650 and I have an X300. I ran out of gas just as I pulled into his driveway(!). Duh. He poured half a gallon into my tank and we headed off to a nearby station. First time for everything…

We rode around Lake Jackson, a large freshwater lake, in balmy temps (low 70s). We stopped at several boat landings to talk about the ecology and management of this water body. Lots of history there too.

It was a fine ride.
Nice. Very nice 👍🏻

· Registered
49 Posts
Been offline for a while as weather and other projects have kept me away from doing more Versys activities than just riding back and forth to work a few times. Over the weekend I lubed the front rotor bobbins to try and alleviate a front brake lever pulse under moderate to heavy braking. Honestly, as much engine brake as the V650 has, I don't find myself using the brakes unless I'm coming to complete stop or when I need moderate to heavy braking... Pulsing was greatly reduced after a judicious amount of @fasteddiecopeman favorite flavor, WD-40!

My big report from the weekend though was a nice little 45 minute jaunt around northern Washington in near freezing temps. The Michelin Road 6s handled 30-35F road temps without any hint of drama. I even encountered several areas of black ice on my return loop that had me worried, but I just took my time, riding cautiously and the Michelins gripped well without even a moment of slipping. Back on cold BUT dry pavement I was even able to end the ride with a quick 1st gear power wheelie🤫. (🤣Completed by a professional rider on a closed course🤣)

· Registered
2021 Versys-X 300 2021 Z900RS
570 Posts
View attachment 191561
View attachment 191562

It was a fine ride.
I miss Tallahassee.

361 - 380 of 461 Posts