Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
281 - 300 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300 (non ABS)
925 Posts
Rode down to Rome Kawasaki yesterday to browse around. Stopped off at Sam's Burgers in Armuchee -- a veteran owned establishment with great burgers -- and an interesting building. The sign post out front is an old VW Bus with wings -- didn't get a pic of that. If you are north of Rome on US 27, I recommend it 👍🏻

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Window

Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Vehicle

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yesterday, played around at one of the dead end roads (under construction) and experimented on locations for my insta360.
Did some figure 8s, rotations and slalom practice.
Front fork view, interesting view during braking and acceleration parts

·
Super Moderator
21,790 Posts
Removed the rear wheel in preparation for having a new SHINKO E705 rear installed for my son's ride back to Quebec on it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Usually I steer away from big crowds events, but last Sunday I rode with my crew (around 300km round trip) to Fátima, to attend the "Benção dos Capacetes" (Blessing of the Helmets)... This is an yearly religious (catholic) event here in Portugal... Covid due, it didn't happen since 2019... Estimated attendance this year was 140K bikers... A few pics...
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Sky Crowd Helmet Tree Cloud

Tree Fan Fence Leisure Crowd

Sky Flag Fan Crowd City

Sky Travel Crowd Building City

·
Super Moderator
21,790 Posts
...Removed the rear wheel in preparation for having a new SHINKO E705 rear installed for my son's ride back to Quebec on it.
Today I installed the newly "TIRED" V650 rear wheel into the GREEN HORNET TOO, after I put 2oz of DYNA BEADS into it. Co$t about $55CDN for the install.

Guess I can STILL call it that [GREEN HORNET TOO] until he shows up to get it....

·
Registered
2021 Versys-X 300 2021 Z900RS
449 Posts
Last Friday, today being Wednesday, I was in Thatcher AZ, about 3 hours from Phoenix. I needed tires for the Wee-X. I had a little tread left but they weren’t going to get me to Deals Gap to meet up with Cheggy and they damn sure weren’t going to get me back to Miami. So instead of riding that day I stayed another day in Thatcher and made phone calls. I called 6 motorcycle shops and Cycle Gear, I also tried numerous motorcycle tire manufacturers online. Not in Stock, I can get them in a week was the standard answer. Let me point out at this time that Phoenix has surpassed Houston as the 4th largest city in the U.S. WTF? I was flabbergasted. Not in Stock? Really? Nobody? Buehler? Ferris Buehler? No, I guess not. Ah, but Grasshopper don’t give up! Where’s the map? Albuquerque is a pretty big city, and it can be on my way to Deals Gap if I want it to be. The third shop I talked to was R&S Motorsports on Lomas; R&S has 3 shops in Albuquerque, the one on Lomas is their Kawasaki shop. I was told by a parts guy that they had a SET of Dunlop K750’s in OEM sizes for the Wee-X. He said the words, “A Matching Set”. Woo, Hoo! The parts guy said they were the OEM tires for the KLR-650 and he had gotten about 4K miles from them on his KLR. Not my first choice of tires, but OK and they should get me back to Miami via Deals Gap.
I asked if I could get them installed on Monday and was told the shop was closed on Mondays, but he would connect me to the Service Department. Service told me that Tuesday was way backed up, but they could squeeze me in on Wednesday. So, I made a plan. I could ride to Winslow AZ on Saturday (the best day of riding on this trip so far) spend Sunday and Monday in Winslow, ride to Belen NM on Tuesday and then ride the last 40 miles to the shop Wednesday morning. I got there about 40 minutes before they opened. They didn’t have the tires! WTF!!!
I was told they had the rear tire, but not the front. They didn’t have any front tire in the OEM size for the Wee-X. ARRGH!!! As the Service guy and I were looking at my current tires, we notice that the rear was delaminating. I had ridden 3 short segments of Interstate, about 40 miles each, between Winslow and their shop. I guess that 120 miles did the back tire in.
While I called the Yamaha shop and Cycle Gear in Albuquerque, the shop got busy trying to solve the problem. My problem? Their fuck up? They kept telling me, they must have sold the tire since I called last Friday. WTF? They knew I was 2000 miles from home. This is when I noticed that I had written down the name of the Service guy, but not the parts guy. Geeze, I’m a retired Navy Chief, if had I run my shop that bad the other Chiefs would have thrown me over the side.
Their solution: a set of Michelin Anakee Adventures, OEM size for the rear and a one up size for the front, they had to go get the rear from one of their other shops.
So, I have new tires. Not the tires I would have chosen, but they aren’t delaminating. They steer heavy, especially the front. I don’t know if that is just the characteristics of the Anakee Adventures or if the one up sized front is the cause. Most of (all?) my riding for the rest of this trip will be tarmac, so it should all work out.
I have no moral of this story, maybe I will by the time I get to Miami.

OEM tires, the front still had some wear left. Can't really see it in this pic, but the rear was becoming delaminated.
Tire Automotive tail & brake light Cloud Sky Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Vehicle
Michelin Anakee Adventures after 40 miles of Interstate riding.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

EDIT: There was a point today where I was thinking the solution was to buy a new KLR or a used Adventure bike, so I would have tires that could get me back to Miami. :ROFLMAO:
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle brake Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300 (non ABS)
925 Posts
Last Friday, today being Wednesday, I was in Thatcher AZ, about 3 hours from Phoenix. I needed tires for the Wee-X. I had a little tread left but they weren’t going to get me to Deals Gap to meet up with Cheggy and they damn sure weren’t going to get me back to Miami. So instead of riding that day I stayed another day in Thatcher and made phone calls. I called 6 motorcycle shops and Cycle Gear, I also tried numerous motorcycle tire manufacturers online. Not in Stock, I can get them in a week was the standard answer. Let me point out at this time that Phoenix has surpassed Houston as the 4th largest city in the U.S. WTF? I was flabbergasted. Not in Stock? Really? Nobody? Buehler? Ferris Buehler? No, I guess not. Ah, but Grasshopper don’t give up! Where’s the map? Albuquerque is a pretty big city, and it can be on my way to Deals Gap if I want it to be. The third shop I talked to was R&S Motorsports on Lomas; R&S has 3 shops in Albuquerque, the one on Lomas is their Kawasaki shop. I was told by a parts guy that they had a SET of Dunlop K750’s in OEM sizes for the Wee-X. He said the words, “A Matching Set”. Woo, Hoo! The parts guy said they were the OEM tires for the KLR-650 and he had gotten about 4K miles from them on his KLR. Not my first choice of tires, but OK and they should get me back to Miami via Deals Gap.
I asked if I could get them installed on Monday and was told the shop was closed on Mondays, but he would connect me to the Service Department. Service told me that Tuesday was way backed up, but they could squeeze me in on Wednesday. So, I made a plan. I could ride to Winslow AZ on Saturday (the best day of riding on this trip so far) spend Sunday and Monday in Winslow, ride to Belen NM on Tuesday and then ride the last 40 miles to the shop Wednesday morning. I got there about 40 minutes before they opened. They didn’t have the tires! WTF!!!
I was told they had the rear tire, but not the front. They didn’t have any front tire in the OEM size for the Wee-X. ARRGH!!! As the Service guy and I were looking at my current tires, we notice that the rear was delaminating. I had ridden 3 short segments of Interstate, about 40 miles each, between Winslow and their shop. I guess that 120 miles did the back tire in.
While I called the Yamaha shop and Cycle Gear in Albuquerque, the shop got busy trying to solve the problem. My problem? Their fuck up? They kept telling me, they must have sold the tire since I called last Friday. WTF? They knew I was 2000 miles from home. This is when I noticed that I had written down the name of the Service guy, but not the parts guy. Geeze, I’m a retired Navy Chief, if had I run my shop that bad the other Chiefs would have thrown me over the side.
Their solution: a set of Michelin Anakee Adventures, OEM size for the rear and a one up size for the front, they had to go get the rear from one of their other shops.
So, I have new tires. Not the tires I would have chosen, but they aren’t delaminating. They steer heavy, especially the front. I don’t know if that is just the characteristics of the Anakee Adventures or if the one up sized front is the cause. Most of (all?) my riding for the rest of this trip will be tarmac, so it should all work out.
I have no moral of this story, maybe I will by the time I get to Miami.

OEM tires, the front still had some wear left. Can't really see it in this pic, but the rear was becoming delaminated.
View attachment 190344
View attachment 190343 Michelin Anakee Adventures after 40 miles of Interstate riding. View attachment 190346
View attachment 190345
EDIT: There was apoint today where I was thinking the solution was to buy a new KLR or a used Adventure bike, so I would have tires that could get me back to Miami. :ROFLMAO: View attachment 190348
View attachment 190347
I just can't help but think... that if you were riding to Winslow AZ on Saturday, you should have just looked for that girl in the flatbed Ford. Then you could just take it easy.

😎

·
Registered
versys 650 2008 orange
129 Posts
I was riding today after work. It was +10 degrees of Celsius, not frozen but pretty cold. So the oil in the suspension behaved differently and suspension, especially at front was working better than in +20. Can someone please explain why and how I might achieve that performance on the suspension in warm weather?

Also low beam lamp died, and as I was reading this forum, I should not buy some fancy Ostam or Philips bulb but stick to base cheap one - or I misunderstood?

·
Registered
2021 Versys-X 300 2021 Z900RS
449 Posts
US HWY 60 about 40 miles south of Belen NM. I stopped to put on 2 more layers. It was in the low 60’s, that might as well been the North Pole for this Miami boy. 😄 These are the only pics I took today. The rest of the day was a slog through flat high plains.
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Motorcycle

Plant Sky Mountain Natural landscape Road surface

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was riding today after work. It was +10 degrees of Celsius, not frozen but pretty cold. So the oil in the suspension behaved differently and suspension, especially at front was working better than in +20. Can someone please explain why and how I might achieve that performance on the suspension in warm weather?

Also low beam lamp died, and as I was reading this forum, I should not buy some fancy Ostam or Philips bulb but stick to base cheap one - or I misunderstood?
I'm no expert but regarding the fork performance, it sounds like you would benefit from thicker fork oils.

On the low beams, that is one way to put it.
In my understanding the higher lumens incandescent bulbs will burn brighter but will not last as long.
For LED's this can burn out the regulator if the saved energy is not used somewhere else. A good example would be adding more running lights and heater accessories then changing the low beam bulb to LED. Explanation can get more complicated, better explained on one of OneWizard's thread.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Going back to topic:
Forecast was for a lot of rains this weekend, got the riding itch scratched before the weather and roads get worse.
Went for my favorite twisties and there were parts under construction but the parts done was very enjoyable despite a lot of leaves and mud due to the recent rains.
Did a quick stop overlooking the volcano inside the lake:
Sky Cloud Water Wheel Helmet

And my alibi or excuse for going out on a Friday workday, buying fresh lettuce and cucumbers for lunch at the local farm:
Wheel Tire Plant Fuel tank Plant community

Plant Luggage and bags Bag Basket Grass

·
Registered
204 Posts
I rode Phantom to store at my mom's for a while during our home remodel. We're moving out of our house, and needed all the vehicles out of the garage to let our contractors work and store their trailer. I likely will only ride about once a month. I talked to her almost the whole ride there, saying, "I'm taking you to Mom's for a while. It's only for a little while. It doesn't mean Mama doesn't love you. We'll still ride, just not as much." :sneaky:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Nice and beautiful sunny day so i take 160 km ride (at least I thought it would be sunny the whole way )

I again find mushroms and take them home, this time they are hugh size

After 80 km of ride little rain start so I take shelter until rain stop approximately 15-20 minutes,

But on returning to home 30km from my home I get in some kind of sudden storm, very strong wind, ultra heavy rain and small ice (HAIL).
At the last minute I managed to duck under a small covered bus stop with motorbike to escape the hail and rain. But since the bus stop is relatively small, and the wind was blowin in that way that it carries the rain under the bus stop, my entire right side of my body was in the heavy rain for 2-4 minutes, and I was soaked to the skin.
I drove home 20-30km/h over the speed limit (country road 90% of the way to my house, no people and no police) to get home as soon as possible and take off wet clothes and warm up under a hot shower.

Mostly an interesting ride and it will be a nice dinner again :)

Wheel Tire Plant Fuel tank Automotive tire

Tire Plant Wheel Motorcycle Vehicle

Plant Plant community Mushroom Terrestrial plant Natural landscape

Plant Natural environment Mushroom Wood Natural landscape

Plant Plant community Tree Natural landscape Mushroom

Plant Textile Toy Fruit Tableware

Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Deep frying

Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Staple food

Food Tableware Dishware Ingredient Recipe

281 - 300 of 302 Posts