Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

What did you do on your Versys today?/ 2024 Hey Include Some Photos!!

82K views 955 replies 93 participants last post by  JT in GA 
#1 ·
Well this is hard to believe but my last ride November 10th, I had electrical problems, almost identical to early spring 2021. I was over 200 KM from home, it was around 3'C with high cross winds, gusts to 70KM/HR when I started out. I was running my oxford grips at 75% due to the cross winds, Barkbusters are only so good. I have the Givi muffs sitting on the shelf in the garage-I never was comfortable riding with them. Anyway it was a ride of 2.5 hours straight. I stopped just south of Wiarton on Grey road 1. There is a dive site I go to, I was there 15 minutes. I start up and first thing I am in the red. I rode south and 30 minutes later stopped at my lunch spot.

So after 30 minutes of riding with no heated gear and my grips at 50% I stopped for lunch
Warmed up to 10"c by this time, I got my trusty Peak 1 stove out and heated up my pot of Chili--next time I will take a photo of the chili 😁
So from this spot it is around 210 KM to my house.

So about 45 minutes later I head south,I am certain I have a single phase condition, identical to what happened in the spring. So heading for Hariston, fuel up there, I was considering bump starting it, but by putting on a extra jacket, I was able to keep warm and I was always in 2 green LED so around 13.7 to 13.9 VDC - no worries at that voltage-I also dimmed my Denali lights, although 1 amp isn't going to kill the battery / alternator.

Gased up with no problems and headed for home, 5 KM from Home I had all 3 phases again, high beam on, grips at 100% and 3 green led. That lasted 3 minutes and less than 1 KM it went back to single phase. This spring after the ride, I took out all the extra wiring for testing Polaris regulators. The 3 phase connector is one of those circuits the the wire is so short I had to re-route my fuel injection line and even so, it took two pairs of needle nose pliers to close the connector. I suspect one of those male pins is beside the female pin instead of being in the female pin.

So Ontario is heading into a bit of a cold spell. I have been waiting for a new window since September 18, 2021 3 feet by 4 feet, so yesterday I put some foam board in and tomorrow I start on the bike. So I have started on the bike. I in tend to do what I did on the headlight wiring which I extended 8 inches. This stator plug wiring will be a extra 18 inches longer, I want to be able to see the connector and hold it in my hands.I am looking at installing a USB outlet in my Givi top box, live all the time, I can then charge batteries in there for my GoPro or leave my phone to charge in there.
I also need to get back to the plug and play Triumph harness for the Polaris regulator. I have some ideas but the bike comes first.

See less See more
#358 ·
Yesterday I took last ride for this year.
60 miles on 44-50°F. Full winter gear, wind/water proof linign in jacket and in pants, heated grips on maximum and summer gloves.
It was nice day for ride, it wasnt cold for body, only top of fingers on my hands and foots was little colder, but road was not to clean so V650 was really dirty.

Today I clean V650 as much as I could , lube chain and some other stuff, stuck socks in the intake manifold so that the mouse wouldn't get to the filter and make a mess, coated the iron parts with WD40 to protect them from possible rust, coated the front shock absorbers and shock absorber rubber with WD40.
Filled the tank almost to the top, checked the battery and that's it. I just have to disconnect the battery and that would be it for this year.
Placed several mousetraps in the room where the motorcycle is, and placed bait for mice or rats (poison), and covered the motorcycle .

The motorcycle will rest until spring , unless by some chance the weather will be warm and the road dry around the new year, so I will ride a bit and of course clean the motorcycle again.

Earlier today, the delivery service brought me a package with a new helmet that I ordered a few days ago.
Right helmet are old (bought in 2019 and driven 28,500 km ) , left are new. Totaly same model only different color. I caught a discount from €300 to €150 and ordered it immediately.
So old helmet I will sold and new will wait spring for first ride probably.
Helmet Sports equipment Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Sports gear Bicycle helmet

#359 ·
Beautiful weather here today (upper 60's to low 70's) so I took it for a spin. I wanted to check out a county road that was supposed to loop around and intersect the main road. Two lane black top got pretty narrow and turned into dirt. No problem... kept going. Dirt got narrow and ended up at a dead end (wasn't supposed to do that). Unfortunately, the track was now muddy with lots of broken bricks. Down I went as I came to a stop. Took a bit to get her back on her feet, no harm done. A little boo-boo on my knee is all. Still a good ride.

Plant Automotive tire Tree Motor vehicle Landscape

#362 ·
Had some time and electricity, disassembled rear end of my bike. Wanted to check bearings, axles and need to fix broken chain tension bolt.

Shock and swingarm bearings need to be replaced. Swingarm axle in perfect condition. Which is really surprising for a 15 years old bike. Rear wheel axle needs some polishing. Wheel bearings are fine.

And seems like I cannot remove chain from front sprocket. And I have no tools and no wish to do that.

As for removing broken bolt, i have no other choice except using some acid. I have it, i used it, but it would be better if i take swingarm in a warm place, and i cannot.

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Wood

Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Tread

Automotive tire Gas Rim Automotive wheel system Composite material

Automotive tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bicycle part

#363 ·
Been there and bought the tee shirt
Both chain adjustment bolts snapped off like they were made of chocolate
Drilled and tapped a new hole just above where the original was and stuck in a couple of new bolts and the job is oxo
Don't forget regularly clear the drain hole in the swing arm left hand side and spray in some wd40 every few weeks to stop the bolts seizing

#368 ·
Been there and bought the tee shirt
Both chain adjustment bolts snapped off like they were made of chocolate
Drilled and tapped a new hole just above where the original was and stuck in a couple of new bolts and the job is oxo
Don't forget regularly clear the drain hole in the swing arm left hand side and spray in some wd40 every few weeks to stop the bolts seizing
Did you mean this hole? Completely clogged.

Why it is so small? What if I drill it out for 5mm?

Automotive tire Plumbing fixture Gas Cylinder Plumbing

#369 ·
Yep that's the one
The water / crud enter's the swing arm and settles at the lowest part and the chain adjuster bolt would be sitting in water
Poke it through with the straw of a can of wd 40 and watch the water run out
Then give it a liberal dose of oil to stop the bolt rusting next time
There is also a bigger hole on the right hand side of the swing arm a little higher up that i also regularly give a squirt of oil to

#373 ·
I have observed (I am not a fabricator) strange holes in frames are usually there to relieve internal pressure when welding so the hot welds are not blown out and also in some conditions to supply a back fill of inert gas in the space.
Holes are sometimes left open for drainage after the fact or may sealed in some places.

#374 · (Edited)
Cloud Tire Sky Water Wheel

Plant Natural landscape Tree Wood Trunk

Rode north of town to meet my riding buddy JS for a non-epic Sunday ride. He has an old KLR 650 and I have an X300. I ran out of gas just as I pulled into his driveway(!). Duh. He poured half a gallon into my tank and we headed off to a nearby station. First time for everything…

We rode around Lake Jackson, a large freshwater lake, in balmy temps (low 70s). We stopped at several boat landings to talk about the ecology and management of this water body. Lots of history there too.

It was a fine ride.

#376 ·
View attachment 191561
View attachment 191562
Rode north of town to meet my riding buddy JS for a non-epic Sunday ride. He has an old KLH 650 and I have an X300. I ran out of gas just as I pulled into his driveway(!). Duh. He poured half a gallon into my tank and we headed off to a nearby station. First time for everything…

We rode around Lake Jackson, a large freshwater lake, in balmy temps (low 70s). We stopped at several boat landings to talk about the ecology and management of this water body. Lots of history there too.

It was a fine ride.
Nice. Very nice 👍🏻

#378 ·
Been offline for a while as weather and other projects have kept me away from doing more Versys activities than just riding back and forth to work a few times. Over the weekend I lubed the front rotor bobbins to try and alleviate a front brake lever pulse under moderate to heavy braking. Honestly, as much engine brake as the V650 has, I don't find myself using the brakes unless I'm coming to complete stop or when I need moderate to heavy braking... Pulsing was greatly reduced after a judicious amount of @fasteddiecopeman favorite flavor, WD-40!

My big report from the weekend though was a nice little 45 minute jaunt around northern Washington in near freezing temps. The Michelin Road 6s handled 30-35F road temps without any hint of drama. I even encountered several areas of black ice on my return loop that had me worried, but I just took my time, riding cautiously and the Michelins gripped well without even a moment of slipping. Back on cold BUT dry pavement I was even able to end the ride with a quick 1st gear power wheelie🤫. (🤣Completed by a professional rider on a closed course🤣)

#392 ·
winter service started. tyres will be delivered monday, and changed next saturday. need to order wheel bearings and brake fluid. for cooling i want to use Motul Inugel Expert. I used that last 13 years, on my suzuki rf900 and honda cbf1000. no issues. also general cleaning and inspection.

Attachments