Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

What did you do on your Versys today?/ 2024 Hey Include Some Photos!!

82K views 955 replies 93 participants last post by  JT in GA 
#1 ·
Well this is hard to believe but my last ride November 10th, I had electrical problems, almost identical to early spring 2021. I was over 200 KM from home, it was around 3'C with high cross winds, gusts to 70KM/HR when I started out. I was running my oxford grips at 75% due to the cross winds, Barkbusters are only so good. I have the Givi muffs sitting on the shelf in the garage-I never was comfortable riding with them. Anyway it was a ride of 2.5 hours straight. I stopped just south of Wiarton on Grey road 1. There is a dive site I go to, I was there 15 minutes. I start up and first thing I am in the red. I rode south and 30 minutes later stopped at my lunch spot.

So after 30 minutes of riding with no heated gear and my grips at 50% I stopped for lunch
Warmed up to 10"c by this time, I got my trusty Peak 1 stove out and heated up my pot of Chili--next time I will take a photo of the chili 😁
So from this spot it is around 210 KM to my house.

So about 45 minutes later I head south,I am certain I have a single phase condition, identical to what happened in the spring. So heading for Hariston, fuel up there, I was considering bump starting it, but by putting on a extra jacket, I was able to keep warm and I was always in 2 green LED so around 13.7 to 13.9 VDC - no worries at that voltage-I also dimmed my Denali lights, although 1 amp isn't going to kill the battery / alternator.

Gased up with no problems and headed for home, 5 KM from Home I had all 3 phases again, high beam on, grips at 100% and 3 green led. That lasted 3 minutes and less than 1 KM it went back to single phase. This spring after the ride, I took out all the extra wiring for testing Polaris regulators. The 3 phase connector is one of those circuits the the wire is so short I had to re-route my fuel injection line and even so, it took two pairs of needle nose pliers to close the connector. I suspect one of those male pins is beside the female pin instead of being in the female pin.

So Ontario is heading into a bit of a cold spell. I have been waiting for a new window since September 18, 2021 3 feet by 4 feet, so yesterday I put some foam board in and tomorrow I start on the bike. So I have started on the bike. I in tend to do what I did on the headlight wiring which I extended 8 inches. This stator plug wiring will be a extra 18 inches longer, I want to be able to see the connector and hold it in my hands.I am looking at installing a USB outlet in my Givi top box, live all the time, I can then charge batteries in there for my GoPro or leave my phone to charge in there.
I also need to get back to the plug and play Triumph harness for the Polaris regulator. I have some ideas but the bike comes first.

See less See more
#343 ·
Well, it is rainy today, so I cannot go hard. But after throttle bodies sync it is much smoother. Gentle.

How to check if you need to do bodies sync. Find a straight close road, kick 1st gear and ride on idle. If the bike is jerky, time for sync.

Also I want to report about my new wind protection mod. Works amazing. Just need to fix vibration on idle. Maybe sticky tape or some foam will do the trick.

I am talking about this, white plastic stuff.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

#345 ·
Well, it is rainy today, so I cannot go hard. But after throttle bodies sync it is much smoother. Gentle.

How to check if you need to do bodies sync. Find a straight close road, kick 1st gear and ride on idle. If the bike is jerky, time for sync.

Also I want to report about my new wind protection mod. Works amazing. Just need to fix vibration on idle. Maybe sticky tape or some foam will do the trick.

I am talking about this, white plastic stuff.

View attachment 191021
Hi @DmitryS

Nice one on the wind deflector, if it works that's all it takes ;)... To be honest, I just don't like the aesthetics... Any way you can fix it under the side fairings (same screws), reshaping it so it contours the fuel tank?... Just a thought... ✌✌

#346 ·
Aestetics will be fixed after we win the war. Now no time for this. Yes, it works, I tried it today at +6C. There is a downside on this - you start to mention more that your shoulders getting cold. Need to improve wind deflection there.

As for aesthetics, I was thinking about getting the same plastic but in Grey color to match other fairings.

New suzuki v strom 800 de has the same deflector in more pleasant way.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Yellow

#348 ·
Today mine made it into the shed for the winter.
No sad pictures included.
It is not winterized yet, but over the next few days it will happen.

The morning there was a couple of inches of snow, the dash display informed me that there was ice and the Dunlop Sportmax D222 rear tire sealed the deal with rather poor power delivery, I was better to get off and push.
Any day now there will be salt spread around the streets with piles at intersections, that stuff is evil on metal components.

I now await Spring and the first decent rain to wash the salt away.

#349 ·
I am manufacturing new windscreen stays

Wood Bumper Automotive tire Tints and shades Automotive exterior