Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

What did you do on your Versys today?/ 2024 Hey Include Some Photos!!

82K views 955 replies 93 participants last post by  JT in GA 
#1 ·
Well this is hard to believe but my last ride November 10th, I had electrical problems, almost identical to early spring 2021. I was over 200 KM from home, it was around 3'C with high cross winds, gusts to 70KM/HR when I started out. I was running my oxford grips at 75% due to the cross winds, Barkbusters are only so good. I have the Givi muffs sitting on the shelf in the garage-I never was comfortable riding with them. Anyway it was a ride of 2.5 hours straight. I stopped just south of Wiarton on Grey road 1. There is a dive site I go to, I was there 15 minutes. I start up and first thing I am in the red. I rode south and 30 minutes later stopped at my lunch spot.

So after 30 minutes of riding with no heated gear and my grips at 50% I stopped for lunch
Warmed up to 10"c by this time, I got my trusty Peak 1 stove out and heated up my pot of Chili--next time I will take a photo of the chili 😁
So from this spot it is around 210 KM to my house.

So about 45 minutes later I head south,I am certain I have a single phase condition, identical to what happened in the spring. So heading for Hariston, fuel up there, I was considering bump starting it, but by putting on a extra jacket, I was able to keep warm and I was always in 2 green LED so around 13.7 to 13.9 VDC - no worries at that voltage-I also dimmed my Denali lights, although 1 amp isn't going to kill the battery / alternator.

Gased up with no problems and headed for home, 5 KM from Home I had all 3 phases again, high beam on, grips at 100% and 3 green led. That lasted 3 minutes and less than 1 KM it went back to single phase. This spring after the ride, I took out all the extra wiring for testing Polaris regulators. The 3 phase connector is one of those circuits the the wire is so short I had to re-route my fuel injection line and even so, it took two pairs of needle nose pliers to close the connector. I suspect one of those male pins is beside the female pin instead of being in the female pin.

So Ontario is heading into a bit of a cold spell. I have been waiting for a new window since September 18, 2021 3 feet by 4 feet, so yesterday I put some foam board in and tomorrow I start on the bike. So I have started on the bike. I in tend to do what I did on the headlight wiring which I extended 8 inches. This stator plug wiring will be a extra 18 inches longer, I want to be able to see the connector and hold it in my hands.I am looking at installing a USB outlet in my Givi top box, live all the time, I can then charge batteries in there for my GoPro or leave my phone to charge in there.
I also need to get back to the plug and play Triumph harness for the Polaris regulator. I have some ideas but the bike comes first.

See less See more
#4 ·
Well each day I said I was going to work on the bike--And THEN something else would come up. Too cold in the garage--OK put on my old fleece jacket and coveralls. Put some Kerdi board into my window that is screwed and on order since Sept 19. Need to call the guy. So it is 3 feet by four feet, I had enough Kerdi board to make a friction fit.

So first off is to find out what happened in November when I went single phase over 200 KM from home. That was today's project, not take anything else apart.

So I must have looked at the plug for 5 minutes, moved wires around, looked some more-I was looking for the release for the connector, after 15 minutes of looking, I just pulled on the wire And there is the Problem

If you look real close in the previous photo, the right side of the male connector-is to have a pin sticking out that goes through the loop on the right side of the female plug coming from the stator--YOU DON"t see ONE---------------------------------------That is because it broke off sometime on 2021, possibly before I ever rode the bike, right after all my electrical work.

#5 ·
You see that boot covering the connectors, that is pulled down as far as it will go, no extra wire. When I am done, I should have enough to have it out past the chain guide and in my hand.

#6 ·
...You see that boot covering the connectors, that is pulled down as far as it will go, no extra wire. When I am done, I should have enough to have it out past the chain guide and in my hand....
It's too bad that we have to do stuff like THAT because Kawi over-cheapened-up on wire in our Gen 3 V650s!

#9 ·
Good question, life got in the way. On the lift and waiting for a electrician to get at it. I am not really sure what I will do-FYI all those connectors are NOT waterproof. When i get going at it -possibly 3 days-I will post with lots of photos. I may butt splice with some TEW wire ( 105'C rating)

#8 ·
Took a break and got out yesterday for 100 miles or so: I rode the Trace and a few of the side roads that connect, including some new to me dirt/gravel mix. The temperature was just above 50 and the winter sun kept me warm until it slipped below the horizon, at which point I had to add a layer. I saw more deer than drivers, and only one other rider.

A few photos as requested:

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Sky Plant

The V with my DIY mini-screen, still new 705's and the requisite fender lift.

Land vehicle Vehicle Speedometer Plant Odometer

I rarely look at my actual odometer so it was interesting to see this as I started the bike yesterday. A nice even number. Now the bike is almost broken in hahaha.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting

Stopped to add a layer at the Meriwether Lewis Park area.

Font Commemorative plaque Handwriting Headstone Pattern

The Trace is covered with historic markers, buildings and roads such as this. I thought the D.A.R. was only something from Gilmore Girls.

Camouflage Military camouflage Sky Ballistic vest Marines

Obligatory sun-selfie and my winter riding jacket.

#16 ·
Added another 179.4 miles to BIG RED, w/ a ride up the Young Road (AZ 288), to near where the dirt starts, w/ a friend on his 'antique' Wing. It's a 1999, and in pretty nice shape. He just bought it (has a Suzuki v 650) and this was his first ride.

IMG_1344 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_1345 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_1346 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

That's Roosevelt Lake in the next few pics

IMG_1347 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_1349 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

and the bridge at the S end not far from where AZ 288 leaves AZ 188.

IMG_1351 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

We rode for about four hours, and put on this many miles.

IMG_1353 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

GREAT day to ride!

(y)(y)

:cool:

#17 ·
I have barely ridden since the end of October. Life got super busy with work and family stuff. Then it got cold. Last ride I took in late November or early December, it was in the upper 40s. I felt way colder than I thought I should have. I had my electric jacket and gloves but just felt way colder.

Thinking about it the other day, this is my first winter with this bike and one difference between it and my old 09DL650 was that that bike had a larger madstad windshield. My Versys X has one. The V650 was just rocking the stock with an added deflector.

So looking at old photos, I realized the difference was I was getting a lot more wind on the V650. Looked at several windshields. All looked good but ended up spending more for the madstad shield and adjustable brackets. It arrived yesterday. Installed today. My GPS bracket did interfere but some fiddling and turning the side brackets for 5hw GPS got everything to clear. New shield is a good 5 inches taller and maybe 5 inches wider along with being able to adjust for tilt and height. Photos below giving a comparison of oem shield and a view of the mounting brackets. No test ride yet. With the moose foam handguards over the OEM handguards, the bars may barely hit. I don't think the OEM guards by themselves would touch but my tank bag gets in the way at full lock so I'm not positive.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Fender

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas

#19 ·
I did a 50 mile ride to Lake Chabot near by. I must remember to take some pictures of the bike and destination next time.

To catch up finished my first electrical project on the bike. I installed the Garmin Zumo xt. Tapped into the aux cable using some posi-taps to get switched power. And finally cleaned up everything with zip ties and tape to leave it clean. The pleasure even doing a small project on ones bike is immense

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive design Auto part
Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Hood Bumper
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood

#22 ·
Removed my SWM plate and went for a short blast yesterday. Dropped the oil and filter immediately upon re-entry. Man the oil was dirty, I felt kinda bad for the bike, as it's done nothing but be good to me. I was approaching the normal service interval so I might as well get it done before the spring arrives. I went with a Fram TG7317. It's longer than standard and has a has textured end for grip.

I added the new oil today. Good 'ole Rotella.

I've also noticed a small coolant smell and I've seen a few dried bits of coolant in my skid plate so I wanted to check that out. I would have needed to remove the skid plate for that, so today was a good time to check. Turns out the pump is leaking ever so slightly from the gasket. A drop every few minutes; nothing to keep me from riding but I'm going to switch it out as the skid plate is already off. Just need to get the gasket.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exhaust Tire

The new filter with textured grip area, and the few drops of oil I didn't catch.

Gas Auto part Metal Automotive fuel system Personal protective equipment

Another drop of coolant escaping. I wiped the area clean to make sure, and another drop would come in a minute or so. I'm thinking when I would park using the sidestand, the coolant would follow gravity and run back toward the oil filter, then down onto the skid plate. Fun.

#23 ·
Not today but Wednesday, tried to go for a ride on the X 300. Rolled it out the garage but then it wouldn't start. I've let it sit too long and the battery didn't have enough juice. So I rolled it back into the garage. Dejected, I pulled out the V650 instead. Went for a nice ride. This was the first ride with the new 20 inch madstad windshield. It is a huge difference in the air pocket behind it. I can feel the smooth air with my hand an inch or two over my head with the shield all the way up.

Put the 300 on the battery charger and it starts right up now.

#25 ·
rode in to work last week since the weather turned nice. Then took it out into the woods nearby to ride the fire trails this past Saturday, about a 3 hour trek. Wore me slap out

about to pull the ECU to send to be flashed. The jerky throttle at low speeds bothers me and is fatiguing, I don't want it acting like this when I take it to the Tail of the Dragon in a few months
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Plant Fuel tank

Plant Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Bicycle handlebar

#43 ·
rode in to work last week since the weather turned nice. Then took it out into the woods nearby to ride the fire trails this past Saturday, about a 3 hour trek. Wore me slap out

about to pull the ECU to send to be flashed. The jerky throttle at low speeds bothers me and is fatiguing, I don't want it acting like this when I take it to the Tail of the Dragon in a few months
View attachment 185930
View attachment 185931
so how did the flash turn out? Steve in Fl?

#27 ·
I knew it was going to be a nice day today, but a little chilly when I left a little after 0900 (about 50F). Went northeast to an old covered bridge, took some photos, back home via some narrow 2 lane country roads. This is supposedly the longest covered bridge in Georgia that you can still drive across. It was well into the upper 60's by the time I got home. Right now it is 84F. About 100 miles and 3 hours on the bike including the stop at the bridge.

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire