Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
141 - 160 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Had a similar issue with my madstad on my Vstrom. Mostly just illuminating the screen edge. I think I get a little of the same effect on my VX300. You could just paint the bottom inside section of the screen.
I thought about that but I prefer the clear screen. The edges would be easy to fix but I'd have to paint quite a ways up the screen to get rid of the actual reflection from the city light.

·
Super Moderator
20,641 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just for the hell of it I installed a set of gold wing foot pegs on the bike. The bike had the original foot pegs with the lowering brackets. The gold wing foot pegs don't lower the pegs as much as the lowering blocks but they do lower the peg about 1/2" from the stock position. The only modification you have to do is, drill out the hole in the peg to accommodate the larger stock foot peg pin.There is still enough meat on the peg so strength shouldn't be a problem.Rest of install is straight forward. I need to take it for a ride and see if they work.
I wasn't totally unhappy with the stock peg/lowering block set up but for some reason with that set up my feet often hit the case and it was not a natural location for my feet when shifting or applying the rear brake. I kind of got used to it, but not really the best. I had bought the bike used with this set up, and I certainly had no knee pain, so will see if the GL1800 ones work. Note. I've never tried the stock pegs in the stock position so might get around to trying that and see if it works for me. I've had a few bikes that caused knee pain until I lowered the pegs, not sure if the Versys is one of them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Replaced the front wheel bearings this evening took about 1.5 hrs start to finish
Fairly painless :)
looked like the the original bearings after 80'000 K
Bit of a rattle when you shook them after removing

·
Registered
16 Posts
Got up early looked at the bike and climbed in to a van to go help fix my Bultaco Sherpa trials bike. Would have loved to have had a ride on the Versys but the chain is beyond useful at present. Weekend end job is to put a new chain and sprocket kit on the Versys

·
Registered
73 Posts
Installed the Motowerks peg lowering blocks I received yesterday. Haven't had a chance to try them out yet... maybe tomorrow.

·
Registered
453 Posts
A boring day so I decided to take a little ride - 340km. Mostly highway (85%) until I reached the best part of the road on the hill where my destination was.

Map World Slope Font Atlas

Plant Sky Cloud Plant community Natural environment

Cloud Plant Sky Plant community Natural landscape

I am waiting for the tower to be restored and at the top there will be a rotating restaurant and a place from where the whole area will be seen.
Cloud Sky Tower Building Blue

·
Registered
453 Posts
Lots of curves in that road. 😍
How about elevation changes?
Thanks for posting.
Curvy road start at 400m altitude, finish at 1033m.

This was my first time on this road, and best of all, almost the entire road is a one-way road, so you don’t have to be afraid that someone will come to meet you from the opposite direction.

An example of how a road looks, the difference in altitude bewteen bends on the road

Plant Tree Natural landscape Road surface Automotive tire

Here is google maps link, so if you wish to check road :

·
Registered
401 Posts
Installed some heated grips... Bikemaster.
My aux power from the Kawi relay already powers aux lighting and a Sparkbright; I tapped off of that line to power a separate relay for the grips. The grip power comes straight from the battery via that relay. No potential for draining the battery there. Install was easy; I had to trim the inside of the throttle grip to fit over a raised portion on the throttle sleeve. Other than that... no problems. The relay lives just behind the battery, halfway under the frame crossmember. The power line travels up the bike under the same crossmember and alongside the tank up to the front. The relay trigger line is taped together with the grip power line. The grip fuse lives back underneath the frame ground; there are all sorts of little nooks to keep components out of sight for a clean-ish install.
Automotive tire Bicycle Tire Bicycle part Rim

Close-up of the grip. Slightly larger than the OEM grips, which is nice.

Product Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Publication

Grip power relay. You can also see the grip power line snaking along the SW-Motech crossmember. The other relay controls my stealth/safety switch.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Haven't been around for a while, been busy riding...Howdy all.

Installed rear tire number 16(RS3) at 83,262 miles on my '15. Also replaced the original rear brake pads. Brake fluid was going to get purged but the moisture meter that I bought says it's less than 1% water and still good. Coolant is getting changed out today.

Reactions: triggerfish

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
First ride since Easter,been busy doing up house,earning a living and even covid lockdown.Rode the Coromandel loop,230 km of twisties,a good ride.Also tested the Nitron shock and Gold fork valves.Now my 09 handles like a dream,no more pogoing under brakes,soaking up most of the bumps on our rough roads.Also the Airhawk seat made life easier,more comfit less tiring.Now a happy rider.
Happy riding

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just for the hell of it I installed a set of gold wing foot pegs on the bike. The bike had the original foot pegs with the lowering brackets. The gold wing foot pegs don't lower the pegs as much as the lowering blocks but they do lower the peg about 1/2" from the stock position. The only modification you have to do is, drill out the hole in the peg to accommodate the larger stock foot peg pin.There is still enough meat on the peg so strength shouldn't be a problem.Rest of install is straight forward. I need to take it for a ride and see if they work.
I wasn't totally unhappy with the stock peg/lowering block set up but for some reason with that set up my feet often hit the case and it was not a natural location for my feet when shifting or applying the rear brake. I kind of got used to it, but not really the best. I had bought the bike used with this set up, and I certainly had no knee pain, so will see if the GL1800 ones work. Note. I've never tried the stock pegs in the stock position so might get around to trying that and see if it works for me. I've had a few bikes that caused knee pain until I lowered the pegs, not sure if the Versys is one of them.
Well I tried the Gold Wing pegs for a couple of hundred miles and found them fine for knee issues but they do change the angle that you sit on the bike. That bothered my back a bit so I went back to the stock pegs with lowers. Comfort wise that still works the best for me. The nice thing about the GW pegs was that the foot portion is adjustable and you can change the angle of the peg so it better fits your foot. For a person who is good with the standard peg location on this bike, they would be a good option. Just thought I'd better update my post.

·
Registered
2016 Versys 650 LT, added Givi windshield and trunk, Hepco crash bars, Shinko 705s and centerstand.
2 Posts
Just returned from a two week moto-camping trip from Austin, through Angel Fire NM, Buena Vista CO, Lost Lake, Ouray, Dutch John UT, Meeker CO, Basalt CO and back through Buena Vista to Austin. Just at 3000 miles with 55 lbs of camping and fishing gear. Awesome trip, with many thanks to OneWizard, FastEddieCopeland and others that took the time to write up experiences and techniques on the valve setting procedure. Did that and new Shinko 705s, new chain, etc. for preparing for the trip and all went well. These bikes do love the highway (20K into my second V). My brother joined me in Buena Vista on his Versys 300 and had no issues on the 1000 mile loop from there. Good bike and likely my next one as I'm getting to old to pick up the 650 from the dirt. I appreciate all the help that comes from this forum as I'm not sure I'd be doing things like this without it.

·
Super Moderator
20,641 Posts
...I appreciate all the help that comes from this forum as I'm not sure I'd be doing things like this without it....
Glad we helped you, but MY 'handle' is fasteddiecopeman.

Cheers :cool:

141 - 160 of 163 Posts