Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Another day of riding around TN. And N.C. Started in Murphy N. C. Went to Telico TN. rode the Skyway to Robinsville, then to Franklin on 28. Caught Waya road and stopped at Lakeside restaurant for lunch then back to Murphy. All in all a great day of riding. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
After finally getting the stator sorted out and fitting some Givi Trekkers, Puig screen, Puig engine guards, some DR650 pegs, and a 3rd world skid-plate, I took it out for a little local loop ride. I really like the changes. :cool:

Overlooking Niskonlith Lake, Little Shuswap Lake, Shuswap Lake in the distance.

Windy gravel through the grasslands descending towards Pritchard, BC

A local curiosity, a shoe tree in the Shuswap.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I went for a technical inspection and registration 3 months after it expired. Riding a motorbike after a 3 month break is a great feeling . (I was sick so I had to postpone registration )
The weather was ideal for driving, but on the way home I was caught in the rain, and a strong wind. Just as I entered my yard and parked my motorbike, there was a storm with heavy rain and very strong wind.

And still at the end after I parked it, I need to move it little and I didn’t realize that the side stand had folded and my motorcycle fell on the table next to it, and the left mirror kept the whole motorbike from falling on the concrete. But fortunately no damage or any scratches. For the first time in 2 years that my motorcycle fell.

I was seriously ill, deep vein thrombosis and massive pulmonary embolism, Inflammation of the lungs in development and Covid positive (although in the end it turned out I didn't seem to be infected with Covid, nor did I get over Covid, even though I was in the hospital at Covid department for 12 days. A few days ago I did a blood test for antibodies to Covid and my antibodies are almost zero - LOL)

And best of all for the last 18 months I’ve been looking for a job and the company I applied to called me for a job interview 20 days after I got out of the hospital. And I'm still sick and according to the doctor's instructions I have to rest as much as possible, and with minimal walking (3 days later doctors say I can walk in my yard but not to much) , I went to that job interview and fortunately they are still interested in me, just to get well first and then I guess a new opportunity will be for me from that companie.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I went for a technical inspection and registration 3 months after it expired. Riding a motorbike after a 3 month break is a great feeling . (I was sick so I had to postpone registration )
The weather was ideal for driving, but on the way home I was caught in the rain, and a strong wind. Just as I entered my yard and parked my motorbike, there was a storm with heavy rain and very strong wind.

And still at the end after I parked it, I need to move it little and I didn’t realize that the side stand had folded and my motorcycle fell on the table next to it, and the left mirror kept the whole motorbike from falling on the concrete. But fortunately no damage or any scratches. For the first time in 2 years that my motorcycle fell.

I was seriously ill, deep vein thrombosis and massive pulmonary embolism, Inflammation of the lungs in development and Covid positive (although in the end it turned out I didn't seem to be infected with Covid, nor did I get over Covid, even though I was in the hospital at Covid department for 12 days. A few days ago I did a blood test for antibodies to Covid and my antibodies are almost zero - LOL)

And best of all for the last 18 months I’ve been looking for a job and the company I applied to called me for a job interview 20 days after I got out of the hospital. And I'm still sick and according to the doctor's instructions I have to rest as much as possible, and with minimal walking (3 days later doctors say I can walk in my yard but not to much) , I went to that job interview and fortunately they are still interested in me, just to get well first and then I guess a new opportunity will be for me from that companie.
You sure have been through some difficult health challenges. Wishing you a speedy recovery and good luck with the job search!

·
Premium Member
9,455 Posts
Some seat work. Dropped back of seat down slightly and added gel insert, with an extra piece of foam at the nose. It helps a lot with the sliding forward issue I was having.

View attachment 182394

I also fashioned an Icelandic Sheepskin cushion, for good measure. Glued a backing on it as I have learned from experience that the skin won't hold up well if fastened down.
View attachment 182395

All done!
View attachment 182396

Of course, no modification is complete without a test ride. So, I set out on the Stone, Fullerville Sands and Goose pond Roads. I bought the Versys in large part to be able to avail myself of the multitude of back roads in my part of the sticks and it's looking like a better decision every day. What fun!

765 KV lines, Fullerville Rd.
View attachment 182397

Goose Pond road. Begins 2 minutes from home, dirt starts in 3!
View attachment 182400

View attachment 182399
It would be nice to post the seat mod in
Seat Recovery
Seat Foam Modifications/ DIY/ 650 / X300

·
Registered
Kawasaki Versys 2019 ABS
171 Posts
Hardcore off-road ride last Sunday.

My city Pune is situated to the east of by a range of hills known as the Sahyadris or Western Ghats, which is among the oldest mountain ranges in the world (in Marathi, Shayadri and Ghat means hills). In Maharashtra, the part of the range is a paradise for trekkers and hikers and yes, bikers. The last love it for real forest trail dirt roads, all of which get lost after each monsoon. Western Ghats - Wikipedia

Last Sunday and the Sunday before last, I did some really hardcore off road riding on a trail that curves around the Kanifnath Temple. Made some videos too but they are in HD so too large to post here so some screenshots.

L to R: Pushpal Meitei (KTM 390 Adv), Arnob Chaudhary (Hero Xpulse 200) and self. A nomadic band of shepherds and goatherds in the background were looking bemusedly at our antics.

Rural homes at middle left in the plains and rolling spurs of the Sahyadris behind.

The Versys took it very well indeed.

The suburban part of southeast Pune in the background merges with the urban sprawl lost in morning haze.

·
Registered
Vrooming on a 2019 Versys 650
124 Posts
Very cool. Thank you for sharing, @oliverider !

Hardcore off-road ride last Sunday.

My city Pune is situated to the east of by a range of hills known as the Sahyadris or Western Ghats, which is among the oldest mountain ranges in the world (in Marathi, Shayadri and Ghat means hills). In Maharashtra, the part of the range is a paradise for trekkers and hikers and yes, bikers. The last love it for real forest trail dirt roads, all of which get lost after each monsoon. Western Ghats - Wikipedia

Last Sunday and the Sunday before last, I did some really hardcore off road riding on a trail that curves around the Kanifnath Temple. Made some videos too but they are in HD so too large to post here so some screenshots.
View attachment 182988

L to R: Pushpal Meitei (KTM 390 Adv), Arnob Chaudhary (Hero Xpulse 200) and self. A nomadic band of shepherds and goatherds in the background were looking bemusedly at our antics.

View attachment 182989

Rural homes at middle left in the plains and rolling spurs of the Sahyadris behind.
View attachment 182990

The Versys took it very well indeed.

View attachment 182992

The suburban part of southeast Pune in the background merges with the urban sprawl lost in morning haze.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Had a motorcycle first today... ran out of gas. Died once but I got it running again for about 1/4 mile. Fortunately, I was headed to fuel up and the station wasn't too far away. Walked it to the top of a hill, then coasted down through a construction site, through some gravel, over a curb then rolled up to the pump.

5.3 gallons into the tank hahahaha. Not a good habit to get into but all is well.

·
Super Moderator
20,438 Posts
I HOPE you didn't ruin your fuel-pump by running out, as it is COOLED by the fuel.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Took time this morning what I thought was going to be a quick ride. Conditions couldn’t have been better: low 70’s and overcast. I was headed to try a new café for breakfast. About an hour’s ride through the country, the Rock House Coffee Shop in Howenwald, TN has a great menu and service to match.

Yesterday I stumbled across a spot on the map called Stanfield Hollow. That being my family name, I thought I’d check it out after breakfast. I left the main road, turned onto a narrow country lane and and headed to the hollow.

The lane soon turned to hard-packed gravel and wound through the forest, shaded by a lush canopy. The temperature was still perfect, and my only companions were the various songbirds that darted back and forth in front of me. All was well.

The gravel gave way to a dirt/gravel mix and then all dirt with good-sized rocks and ruts throughout. I realized I was on part of the TN Dirt Devil, a labyrinth of mostly dirt “roads” that crisscrosses the TN countryside. Lots of hills, creek crossings and wildlife but little cell service. All public roads, you’re supposed to have a plated bike to ride them and it’s a favorite for the local dirt, ADV and Jeep communities. It’s not uncommon to run across a horse-drawn wagon.

Background: A few years ago, I took my (now sold) V-Strom out there and crashed after coming out of a creek crossing, hurting my knee in the process. This was 2 days before my wife and I were leaving for a trip to Europe. Oops. We still had an awesome vacation but I’ve been a bit wary of dirt and gravel ever since. Back to today’s ride…

I really wanted to see the Hollow, so I kept on.

I started seeing water, mostly pooled in potholes and easily managed. As I rode, the water was becoming increasingly present, and eventually the road morphed into more of a small creek. Nowhere to go but forward… I’m sure a lot of you could do this with one hand but I was talking to myself the whole time… ”don’t fall, relax, stay on the pegs, keep the power up…”.

Full disclosure: I had a smoothie in my top box and really didn’t want to have to clean everything up if I fell hahaha.

The “road” that had turned into a temporary creek went on for a few hundred yards. I was moving with the water; the bottom was mostly gravel and rocks with little mud so it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. The water wasn’t deep, just a few inches on average but my front forks were moving a lot as I rolled through the water and rocks.

After what seemed a long time, I reached the Hollow, where I took a break, a few photos, then continued on. Eventually the road became a road again; there were a few larger creek crossings but I made it through, the only victim being my wet boots.

I forgot about the smoothie but remembered once I was back on dry land.

Honestly, had I known the road was dirt/rocks/water I probably would have waited to try it… so I’m glad I didn’t do too much research beforehand.

The good: I kept the bike on 2 wheels the entire ride. I did put my feet down more than a few times but that’s ok with me. Perhaps proper tires would have helped, but even after that short bout with water/dirt/gravel I’ll feel a lot better the next time the pavement ends. A victory for me.

The bad: there is no bad.

The V ran flawlessly as per usual. Gave the chain a luxurious amount of WD when I got home and the bike will definitely need a good wash.

All in all, a great way to spend the morning:)

I love riding in TN.

Impromptu creek ride.

Not really a creek; it has to have crayfish to be a real creek... although I didn't look for any.

Stopped at Stanfield Hollow. I should try to buy that land!

Typical TN dirt road. The TN Dirt Devil is 200 or so miles of this type of road, some tarmac as well. It's mostly easy with a few challenges thrown in.

Obligatory helmet selfie and photo of my newly installed HF top box/smoothie holder.

·
Registered
870 Posts
been working on this last few weeks got to ride it for a few hours today
View attachment 181931 View attachment 181932
How is it holding up?

I'm at the 3rd implementation of my steel angle brackets today.

1st was aluminum but failed really fast. I suspect faster than yours only because I beat it offroad.

2nd was 3/4" steel angle. Broke too.

3rd one is 1" steel angle and I heated it with propane torch before twisting it (to lay it flat for the kitchen board) so that I don't microfracture the steel.

Tip: you REALLY should use some sort of recessed screws because your will punch a hole in any bag resting on that plate. Perhaps glue over a rubber mat otherwise.

I cut slots in the board too for straps to wrap into.

·
Registered
MK3 Versys 650
35 Posts
Another day of riding around TN. And N.C. Started in Murphy N. C. Went to Telico TN. rode the Skyway to Robinsville, then to Franklin on 28. Caught Waya road and stopped at Lakeside restaurant for lunch then back to Murphy. All in all a great day of riding. :)

😢 That area is heaven, damn! Don't know if I'll ever ride there again.

Forget about Deals Gap, its the Appalachians... Other places have nice roads, but I've yet to find a place that I'd trade for the Appalachian roads.

·
Registered
MK3 Versys 650
35 Posts
Oh, I came to post that I just rode it :D I have an appointment on Monday for the first service, so rode it until the odometer got to 995kms. Time for a glorified oil change, but I'm elated the break in is over!

·
Registered
25 Posts
b
How is it holding up?

I'm at the 3rd implementation of my steel angle brackets today.

1st was aluminum but failed really fast. I suspect faster than yours only because I beat it offroad.

2nd was 3/4" steel angle. Broke too.

3rd one is 1" steel angle and I heated it with propane torch before twisting it (to lay it flat for the kitchen board) so that I don't microfracture the steel.

Tip: you REALLY should use some sort of recessed screws because your will punch a hole in any bag resting on that plate. Perhaps glue over a rubber mat otherwise.

I cut slots in the board too for straps to wrap into.
been holding up good tahnsk

·
Premium Member
9,455 Posts
Welcome from Canada

81 - 100 of 114 Posts