Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

121 - 140 of 240 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
I went to the Post Office on BIG RED and changed my "mail-forwarding" to start tomorrow rather than early April, added some STABIL and filled the tank, then got it back into the garage, up and stands, removed the battery, prepping for flying out (I HOPE!) tomorrow, then back to BC.

:goodluck:..., boys and girls!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I went to the Post Office on BIG RED and changed my "mail-forwarding" to start tomorrow rather than early April, added some STABIL and filled the tank, then got it back into the garage, up and stands, removed the battery, prepping for flying out (I HOPE!) tomorrow, then back to BC.

:goodluck:..., boys and girls!
Enjoy your fortnight of quarantine when you get home! :grin2: On the bright side, it has been warming up nicely around here and good riding is just around the corner. Safe travels. :cool:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Just got back from the MaKaw dealer. The clutch return spring had broken. Removal of the clutch cover is required to replace it.

Still under factroy warranty with 69,5xx miles on it thanks to the GPP extension that I bought.

Still on track to have over 100k miles on it while still under warranty as it is good until August of 2021 although this Covid 19 thing could screw that up.

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
Enjoy your fortnight of quarantine when you get home! :grin2: On the bright side, it has been warming up nicely around here and good riding is just around the corner. Safe travels. :cool:
Got home to Kelowna safely by 1830 on Friday, 20 Mar - the earliest we've EVER returned from "Snow-birding"!

Bit of a challenge to starting 14 days in the house when our satellite TV receiver came up w/ a RED (inoperative) light but I have a tech coming on Sunday to 'aim' the antenna. Then I got the car ready to go and insured which is a hard one when you cannot leave the house, but as of Thursday BC has joined the REST of the world, as we were allowed to renew the license and insurance via E-mails!

I'll probably renew the Versys' license and insurance via E-mails in the early part of April when it SHOULD be warm enough for riding....

:yeahsmile:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Went for a ride; hit the Trace and a few backroads. Got some curbside coffee from a local shop.

Dropped the oil and let it drip for a long time. New filter and Rotella added. 2 quarts put the oil close to the upper mark.

Went for another ride; to-go pizza for the fam. I'm the only one doing any type of erranding etc right now.

Later, I noticed the oil was below the low mark. No leaks or drips. Checked the service manual, and sure enough it indicates 2.4 or so quarts for a dry engine... mine took about 2.3 quarts after all was said and done.

Speaking of China... here's an image of my eBay radiator guard.

One of my most-used accessories... the humble cargo net.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Went for a ride; hit the Trace and a few backroads. Got some curbside coffee from a local shop.

Dropped the oil and let it drip for a long time. New filter and Rotella added. 2 quarts put the oil close to the upper mark.

Went for another ride; to-go pizza for the fam. I'm the only one doing any type of erranding etc right now.

Later, I noticed the oil was below the low mark. No leaks or drips. Checked the service manual, and sure enough it indicates 2.4 or so quarts for a dry engine... mine took about 2.3 quarts after all was said and done.

You may want to recheck the oil. 2.3 is referencing a dry, as in newly assembled engine. Two quarts has done me fine, perhaps a smidge more if using a longer oil filter.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You may want to recheck the oil. 2.3 is referencing a dry, as in newly assembled engine. Two quarts has done me fine, perhaps a smidge more if using a longer oil filter.
I checked it again; bike is vertical and the wheels are on the same plane; my capacity reference is just the side of the container so it's certainly not very scientific! Could be an ESO error; I'll check it again before/after the next ride and remove some if the mark is high.

Oh wait... maybe I'm using the wrong oil, or the wrong tires :laugh2:

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
...Oh wait... maybe I'm using the wrong oil, or the wrong tires :laugh2:....
You DID put in 2 quarts of METZLER, Dunlop, or SHINKO, didn't you...? Or is that 2.4 quarts?

:eek:

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
Getting the GREEN HORNET TOO back to riding-ready...

I started a few days ago to getting the bike ready to ride, which includes installing a Garmin zumo 365 in place of the nuvi550 I've been using for years.

Yesterday I got the wiring almost ready for soldering, the old GPS mount OFF while starting on the new mounts.

My garage isn't heated, and w/ the temps here hovering around 2 to 5C (35 to 41F) I've been waiting for the afternoon so I can work w/ the garage door open and wearing MOST of the clothes I own, tunes ON.

Generally works till about 1545, then it's time to go back inside for a hot chocolate.

Exactly HOW do you guys handle temps like THAT...?

:surprise:

·
Registered
156 Posts
@fasteddiecopeman so THAT's what I'm doing wrong hahahaha. This bike came with an almost-new set of Pirelli's, which I've found less than inspiring in the rain. Waiting to put some 705's on.

Glad to see someone else who enjoys a nice hot chocolate... it's my drink of choice year round. My garage stays around 55F even when it's freezing out; I'm thankful for that. The mosquitos mean I keep the door closed most of the time.

I finally got some proper cold-weather pants over Christmas so now the cold doesn't keep me from riding!

·
Administrator
8,851 Posts
I started a few days ago to getting the bike ready to ride, which includes installing a Garmin zumo 365 in place of the nuvi550 I've been using for years.

Yesterday I got the wiring almost ready for soldering, the old GPS mount OFF while starting on the new mounts.

My garage isn't heated, and w/ the temps here hovering around 2 to 5C (35 to 41F) I've been waiting for the afternoon so I can work w/ the garage door open and wearing MOST of the clothes I own, tunes ON.

Generally works till about 1545, then it's time to go back inside for a hot chocolate.

Exactly HOW do you guys handle temps like THAT...?

:surprise:
My garage is around 45 to 50'F, I put on a pair of coverals, a fleece jacket and winter boots. If I really want luxury I fire up the shack heater, my garage is insulated but gets heat loss from the house, as it was built in 1954 , R7 , so I added onto the side of the house. I can get it 75'F in about a hour with the 4800 watt heater going. We are now off peak demand all day now.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Removing rust on my 2018 V650. Found rust on steel support for plastic, which start to spread on welded place (picture).

Put some liquid which eat rust, wait to dry 2-3 hours, after drying you will se something like white "powder" where was rust, remove that "powder", and I add paint Hammerite (which can go directly on rust)

Rust was almost on same place on both sides, why is rust there, I don't know, but I need to remove it.

And lubricating the clutch cable

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well....since I got my 18 Versus LT i

1. Added a lowering kit from Motowerk.
2. Switched to a 43T rear sprocket.
3. Switched to MRS windshield.
4. Just recently got ECU Flashed by Shoodaben.

All of these changes have been an improvement over stock.
The Shoodaben flash is my favorite. Makes the bike just easier to ride,
Smoother gear changes with improved throttle response. Love it!

·
Administrator
8,851 Posts
feedback Excellent!!

Well....since I got my 18 Versus LT i

1. Added a lowering kit from Motowerk.
2. Switched to a 43T rear sprocket.
3. Switched to MRS windshield.
4. Just recently got ECU Flashed by Shoodaben.

All of these changes have been an improvement over stock.
The Shoodaben flash is my favorite. Makes the bike just easier to ride,
Smoother gear changes with improved throttle response. Love it!
It is hard to believe, a before and after ride, at first I thought there was something wrong with my shifter. I was cruising along at 60KM / HR , I was accelerating and when I hit 80 KM/HR I went to up-shift, no luck, that was because I was in sixth gear
. A impossible feat before the flash!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did a little bit of tinkering and made a more permanent phone mount out of a cheap old one and raised the stock windshield a little higher then factory allows... all reversible. But after a couple rides the windshield is perfect, doesnt move and saves me the cost of a taller one.

I also gave her a good scrub down.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts

·
Administrator
8,851 Posts
I did a little bit of tinkering and made a more permanent phone mount out of a cheap old one and raised the stock windshield a little higher then factory allows... all reversible. But after a couple rides the windshield is perfect, doesnt move and saves me the cost of a taller one.

The only thing I would caution about the windscreen, make sure you have concave washers and flat washer on each knob, you don't want the windscreen letting go. This is a common problem with missing parts. My 2015 had flat washers only, several times I almost lost the knobs , thanks to @fasteddiecopeman , I purchased the right thing. I tried the same position, it reduced buffeting but I hate looking through bugs and crap, and the plastic will distort with the right sun angle. I look over the windscreen. Lots of mechanical strength with that set up.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Today I took my seat cover off and reshaped the area where my butt sits dropped the foam almost a full inch toward the back to make it flatter, changed the angle on the pillion((right behind my butt) to a more vertical position, Now I can slide back further.What the heck if it dont work out I can always buy a custom.so far I like it , Time will tell .

·
Registered
9 Posts

The only thing I would caution about the windscreen, make sure you have concave washers and flat washer on each knob, you don't want the windscreen letting go. This is a common problem with missing parts. My 2015 had flat washers only, several times I almost lost the knobs , thanks to @fasteddiecopeman , I purchased the right thing. I tried the same position, it reduced buffeting but I hate looking through bugs and crap, and the plastic will distort with the right sun angle. I look over the windscreen. Lots of mechanical strength with that set up.
Thanks for tip. I will have to keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
240 Posts

for a second i thought you meant this. that would be problematic.

121 - 140 of 240 Posts