Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

601 - 620 of 629 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,219 Posts
I have been thinking of this for some time now. How much of a real help are they when standing?
A VERY BIG help! I use the 2" ROX RISERS, but IF I was to do it again I'd PROBABLY go w/ 3.5" ones.

On SECOND thought - I probably am toning down my off-pavement riding, so the 2" are fine.

:cool:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wanted to go for a ride, but the Versys decided otherwise: Just got a click when pushing the starter button. Lights and dash worked ok.
Connected my C-tek charger, but the built in diagnose system would not go past the "I'm connected to a battery but it does not take a charge"-light.
So jump started the bike and drove to the garage to get a new battery installed.

Is this bike known for eating batteries?

·
Super Moderator
20,219 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
just got home from a six hour round trip tour 189 miles each way all highway (CT to Kittery Maine). I am working up to my upcoming trip, I have been doing more and more time in the saddle every week. I just put on T-rex highway pegs that with four adjustments now I think are at my perfect location. I just purchased an airhawk seat cushion but have to wait till next week to try that out. it's amazing how relaxing mileage can be on a bike that's so comfortable and easy to use. The Kato throttle lock is a little difficult to get use to locking on but once it's set you cruise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, I'm pleased to report that it shows better on the bike than in the shed! Yes, I zip- tied it and it sits about 3/4" lower than I would like.

·
Super Moderator
20,219 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Broadened my horizons a little! Pretty cool today, so I stuck close to home and hit some gravel. Went to the sites of a couple old mining hamlets, Jayville and Kalurah, NY. I had a blast! It's hard to believe how much the peg lowerers helped me. I left the brake pedal as is and only adjusted the shifter down a little and found getting my foot in the proper position a lot more natural.

Is sitting on the pillion a viable technique, or somehow frowned upon? I found myself doing it quite often when I hit some softer sand, or even on some more technical downhills. Mind you, I haven't ridden on dirt before.

·
Super Moderator
20,219 Posts
Is sitting on the pillion a viable technique, or somehow frowned upon? I found myself doing it quite often when I hit some softer sand, or even on some more technical downhills. Mind you, I haven't ridden on dirt before.
I learned to ride dirt standing on the footpegs w/ my weight WAY BACK, unloading the front wheel. Felt unnatural at first, but now it's second nature.

·
Registered
12 Posts
More adventuring(at least, for me). 60+ degrees and sunny this evening with 6-12 inches forecast for Thursday, so I had to do it! Hit some more gravel, still close to home, but in the other direction. Jerden Falls, through Beartown to Natural Bridge and home.

Man, these bikes are a blast! I had to cross some pretty good mud from the snowmelt in several places. At one point, I feared an imminent, serious faceplant as the backend moved what felt like a foot. Just a touch of throttle and we powered through. That movement takes some getting used to, for sure. Hit another spot where someone laid down a 30 foot stretch of softball to volleyball sized rocks in what must be a semi-permanent mud hole. That posed absolutely no problem, compared to the mud.

Then I reached the pavement and rode like the wind...

And my favorite pic of the day, an artsy wide angle shot:

·
Registered
Kawasaki Versys 2019 ABS
156 Posts
I am in prep mode for my long awaited ride to India's deep northeast. My unit is deployed there and ever since I left it to go on staff, I have visited it at every new deployment.

The roads here are even worse than those in Ladakh so I will need to carry the bare minimum of luggage if I am to have any energy left at the end of the 8 and 9 hour stages. Some places have almost nil accommodation so will be carrying camping gear.

The weight of the bike has started preying on my mind and from the coming Sunday, I'll be undergoing some training by an instructor who teaches Dakar and Baja aspirants.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Put a new battery in my 2015. 5 years with no trickle charging over the 3 months in the garage every winter. It was starting to feel a little anemic on the startup after a few days sitting and finally died. Nice spring riding here lately but cool when its real clear.

·
Registered
325 Posts
My six-year-old is interested in bikes already; she likes to "help" me work on the V when I do maintenance. Our latest "project" was marking the chain... she really wanted to do red then some kind of sparkle hahahaha. The master link is directly opposite these marked links.

IMG_9303.JPG

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #619
Rode down to New Plymouth on wednesday,400 km.Went down a few back roads to avoid traffic,realy windy roads then heavy rain for last 100km.In New Plymouth KSS fitted my new Nitron shock and gold valves and fork springs.Then a test ride,its a whole new expreance.Now my old 09 V1 stops better and handles better,no more kick in the arse when I hit the big bumps on our roads.The forks dont dive under heavy braking and the back stays on the road.Rode home good friday the long way to really test it all.Took hwy43 fromStratford to Taumaranui,this is a great bike road.Lots of twisties ,use all the gears.On the Whangamomona saddle I was in 2nd for about 3km,all switchbacks,lots of fun.Very little traffic and easy riding.From Taumaranui I went over the Okahokura saddle,25km of tight twisty no traffic bliss.I really noticed how well the bike handled,no more bouncing over the road,controlled braking,more fun not looking out for rough bits to avoid.450km for the day,pity my arse cant cope with long distance rides.

Happy riding

·
Super Moderator
20,219 Posts
601 - 620 of 629 Posts