Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

541 - 560 of 626 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Nice cloudy day so I take 70km ride.
When I back home I see this: (it was perfectly clean before ride)
View attachment 181338

Don't have time to clean him today, because until motorbike cool down it will be night.
So cleaning will be tomorrow.

Also checked how the sausages are progressing with drying, and put them to smoke along the way.
Around Christmas they will be ready to eat, at least these thin, thick ones will need more time to dry fine.
View attachment 181339
Nice job on the sausage! My Mom was Russian and all my brother and I remember of our youth was eating sausage. Usually Polish style. She even used to ship it to us across Canada for Xmas when we were grown up! I have a local Serbian smoked meat shop here in Vancouver with a giant smoker operation in the back. The old man who smokes the meat comes out from the back of the shop once in a while to argue with his daughters at the counter in Serbian. They laugh and then send him back to the smoker. Ive become versed in the Serbian style smoked meats, nice stuff. Do you have some hot ones hanging there?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Nice job on the sausage! My Mom was Russian and all my brother and I remember of our youth was eating sausage. Usually Polish style. She even used to ship it to us across Canada for Xmas when we were grown up! I have a local Serbian smoked meat shop here in Vancouver with a giant smoker operation in the back. The old man who smokes the meat comes out from the back of the shop once in a while to argue with his daughters at the counter in Serbian. They laugh and then send him back to the smoker. Ive become versed in the Serbian style smoked meats, nice stuff. Do you have some hot ones hanging there?
I am from Croatia, I smoke sausage, bacon, ham, pork neck, and few other stuff every year.
Every year I made hot sausages at a ratio of 70/30 meat and firm fat ,we use 2% salt and 0.5% hot pepper (we use domestic ground pepper which is mostly very hot ), garlic as desired , and that is all what I put in sausage.
We put before and sweet ground pepper , but we've been kicking her out for the last couple of years because my father doesn't like sweet peppers in sausages because he gets heartburn.

Reactions: jaaklucas

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
I'll add something to that story. My oldest son had started riding (a Suzuki JR50) at the age of 2 1/2, and by 4 I'd taken him on a LONG ride where the fellows I rode enduros w/ and I would go, for FUN, about 25 miles from my farm. We mounted his bike

Danny1 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

on the trailer, along w/ my Can-Am 400 Qualifier

Can-Am3 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

then we drove to the riding area. About 20 miles into the ride we stopped and I asked Danny how he was enjoying it. He looked at me, said "When do we turn around?" as he'd NEVER ridden anywhere except our farm and a buddy's place.

Danny2 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Seemed as tho' he LIKED it...!

:cool:

Here's a pic of Dan when he was about 14, riding a Honda XR100 out where we rode in the Rockies, W of Calgary.

Danny11 copy by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
TODAY? The 12th of Dec - rode down to a shopping area to pick up another DVD player, THIS w/ wireless and NETFLIX, so we can continue following shows we were watching back in BC.

(y)(y)

:giggle:

·
Registered
2017 Versys 650LT
9 Posts
Not today, but last week we had 60+ degrees and I took the opportunity to teach my son to ride. I just got a new to me 2017 V650 LT with only 2200 miles on it. Can't wait for spring. Looking forward to getting acquainted with the bike and spending more time with my son helping him learn to ride. I grew up on bikes but it's been several years since I've owned one. Living on a gravel road for the past 12 years I've felt limited (thought I wanted a cruiser) but finally came to my senses and realized I just needed the proper style of 2 wheeler to handle the road conditions. Now for some tires...

·
Registered
Kawasaki Versys 2019 ABS
155 Posts
Small ride to Bangalore from 06 till 10 Dec.

Had planned to see Pondicherry and Chennai but my leave was cut short due to work.

The Mutha river bridge

Breakfast break

Rynox tank bag, Viaterra tail bag and Dirtsack Frogman saddle bags.

The Nira river bridge

The return ride was nice- Bangalore to Pune, 850 kms in 12 hours 45 min. With the new rear suspension, like a velvet carpet.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #547
850km in Indian traffic is a very long ride.You must have been exhausted dodging trucks,slow cars etc.

Happy riding

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
Rode to church this morning - left home at 0630.

I was 'suiting-up' w/ the garage-door closed, then opened it to continue, and ALMOST immediately closed it again! I knew it was pretty cold out, but I did NOT expect it to be THAT chilly - I expect it was below the freezing point, w/ a slight wind. I selected my heated-grips to #4, and my heated jacket liner to mid-HI, and was reasonably warm for the half-hour ride (I forgot to put my lower-back-support [kidney belt] ON so THAT part of me was a bit chilly).

Well - at least I WAS riding on 20 Dec...!

:unsure:

(y)(n)

·
Registered
Vrooming on a 2019 Versys 650
107 Posts
A nice ride from Seattle > Bainbridge Island (ferry slowing for a breaching pod of whales) > Shelton > Long Beach (and an overnight there) before crossing state lines on two wheels for the first time.

The approach to Oregon pounded on my buddy and I (he on a 1200 ADV BMW) with side winds and rain across the Astoria-Merger Bridge. Of course, it was more exciting than anything :)

The minute we reached the other side, the clouds parted and we rode to our day two destination (Cannon Beach) for some sights and lunch before hauling ass home to the Seattle area.

Dying to see more Oregon on two wheels.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Took the V out for a 60mi ride today. Very unusual to be able to ride this time of year (NE Illinois). Temperature was about 50F but is dropping to 14F tonight. Crazy strong winds, one gust almost pushed me off the road. Fortunately the ride was on back roads with little to no traffic. Just wanted to be able to say I rode on Dec 23!

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
Well... I did NOT go riding today (24 Dec), but I DID rollout my Kamado pot and BBQed our Christmas turkey to off-load my wife for tomorrow's dinner.

Some pics [ kind of windy and cold, so I did it undercover, but TOMORROW is forecast as mostly sunny - 66F tho' the TV guy said in the mid 70s... (y)]

Xmas2020-1 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Xmas2020-2 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I thought the neck was 'drying' out, so in the next pics I put it into the body cavity to get moisture.

Xmas2020-4 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I let it "smoke" for 30 minutes

Xmas2020-5 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

then removed it for the 'dismantling'. Tried a "BIT" - HM-M-M GREAT!!!

Xmas2020-6 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Hope you ALL have a great and wonderfull Merry Christmas!

:cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did some much needed maintenance. Checked tires, changed air filter and spark plugs. Back to daily commute to work tomorrow. 😁

·
Registered
176 Posts
So, due to a multitude of issues, I didn't ride for a few weeks. Naturally, my battery died. I got a new one Saturday, filled it, and put it on the charger. Installed it yesterday. It's the first battery I had to replace on this bike, and I can say it was infinitely easier than doing so on my last one. After a victorious, "I have created LIIIIFE!" I tried out the angled valve stem adapters to fill up my woefully low tires. That adapter worked perfectly. I giddily ran into the house and geared up. Then I took a gusty, but short ride. While this bike handles crosswinds surprisingly well, I did have a couple of gusts that nearly blew me into the next lane. That's why I cut things short for a total of only about 65 miles. I don't have to be anywhere until Jan. 4, so there's time to ride again until then. Even a short ride made me feel so much better.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mid 60's this afternoon so I finally was able to gear up and take a nice, albeit short, ride around some local back roads. Also put in some fuel stabilizer when I got back home. Bike needs a good cleaning too, so maybe the next nice day.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Checking motorbike and house after earthquake 6.2 Richter 110km from my home. Everything OK here ,but the epicenter is nasty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tried and failed to do a throttle body sync on the V
Propped up the tank
Removed the air box
Plugged on the Vacuum gauges ebay china specials
The screw on the Right throttle body was in all the way
One on the left was easy enough to adjust with my modified screwdriver ( angle grinder and bench grinder :) )
No matter what I did though turning the screw and giving it a blast of throttle it did not vary much at all
so gave up and put it back together pending more research

1st picture is with engine off

Second is with engine running

J

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
Went riding w/ my neighbor Skip up to the "end of pavement on AZ 288" yesterday, 30 Dec '20. He rides a BMW 900 PTwin altho' he USED to have a Gen 3 V650LT.

The forecast was for a HI around 65F and 'breezy', and as I'd done a very similar ride on Nov 20, there aren't MANY pics to share. Leaving home at 0930 w/ heated-liner ON, as well as grips on MED-HI, PLUS the fact that there HAD been some showers in the area on 29 Dec, our ride would NOT include dirt as the AZ mud is intimidating (to say the least!), and when we got onto AZ 79, headed N - directly INTO the wind which was a LOT MORE than merely 'breezy' - at 68 mph on my GPS I found that I ONLY had about a "quarter-inch" of throttle left to WFO! (I don't remember EVER needing that MUCH throttle to maintain a steady speed INTO wind!)

Onto AZ 60 w/ a stop for gas in Superior (STILL managed about 50 mpg...), and up to Globe, N on AZ 188 then E onto AZ 288 fifteen miles later, then to the end of pavement maybe 17 miles later. Under clear blue skies, colder'n'hell - w/ an icy road for the last half mile to where we stopped for pics.

IMG_0568 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0569 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0571 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Did a "180" then back down to a place to eat our snacks, Skip leading. Helmets off, but still somewhere near 5,000' ASL as we ate - damn chilly...! o_O

IMG_0572 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0573 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Still not a cloud to spoil the view as we reversed course and rode home (w/ another gas stop in Superior - STILL 50 mpg!!!).

Home at 1400, about 6.5 hours TOTAL, riding

IMG_0574 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

182 miles. Good ride, but NICE getting home and cracking a "brewski".... :cool:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #558
Whats that white stuff youre on?Dont get that stuff here.You had a better ride than me.Ive hurt both hips so missed out on the new year Coromadel loop ride.Instead I went for a short ride to Kaiaua pub.Lots of classic cars and bikes there.Then an old girlfriend shows up,we had our first drink together in 40 years and a good catch up.Rode home with sore hips and a smile on my face.

Happy riding

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
Whats that white stuff youre on?Dont get that stuff here.
That's just "beach-sand" - we spread it out on some of our HIGHER highways here in AZ so people can 'feel' it's winter...!

;)

541 - 560 of 626 Posts