Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

521 - 530 of 530 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Probably one of the last rides this year. Bad weather is coming, so I took advantage of today’s cloudy and cold day and dry road for a 100km long ride.

·
Registered
Kawasaki Versys 2019 ABS
139 Posts
i sold and shipped an entire OEM Versys suspension to a rider in India. he wanted to do the suspension swap on his EX650, then complete the bike setup for riding the remote Indian mountain roads. he reported that the bike was now an exceptional purpose built travel moto. riders of all stripes can have very different impressions, expectations, and requirements of the same basic bike platform.
Very true.

Rode to work today. 2 clicks rear, stock front.

The rear positively seems to me to emulate a bucking bronc - I haven't ridden an actual bucking bronc but have been thrown by a horse -in the way it wants to get rid of me from the saddle. Even with the TIMSUN 712 R at 34 PSI, the rear strut seems SO hard that every single imperfection in the road is amplified and transmitted to my spine.

Which brings me to some suspicions that I have harboured ever since I got the Honda CBR 250R back in 2011 - are suspensions of such bikes unnecessarily hard, do designers think that every rider is a wannabe track carver, do the designers ride their own bikes in real world conditions etc etc.

The only bike whose suspension I could associate with one designed for the actual road conditions, especially of India, is the BMW 310 GS. From Siachen Base Camp (in the Nubra Valley) to Kanyakumari (the southernmost part of the Indian peninsula), 15000 kms in a year, lots of off road and expressway riding. Just brilliant.

I am desperately waiting, willing, wanting for Kawie to intro the latest KLR on 23rd Nov so that I can finally hope to get the bike whose decals I will be cremated with (being Hindu, no luxuries of being buried with the bike a la that Harley Davidson fan in the USA).

·
Super Moderator
19,748 Posts
Question "oliverider" - in your post about the suspension of your bike - is that w/ the OEM shock?

·
Super Moderator
19,748 Posts
You'll find a HUGE difference IF you can get the R1 shock....

(y)(y)

:cool:

·
Registered
557 Posts
what is so special about R1 shock? there are plenty of aftermarket shocks out there. I really like Nitron shocks, but they do not have one from the new model, so I went with YSS; very happy with it.

·
Super Moderator
19,748 Posts
what is so special about R1 shock?
Inexpensive, VERY GOOD, and available to mount to the V650, already set-up for the V by riders moving on to other rides.

I'm SURE that an Ohlins shock is better, but you didn't mention them.

·
Registered
Kawasaki Versys 2019 ABS
139 Posts
Fitted the BMW 310 GS rear strut to the bike on Saturday.

Reasonably simple job. Punched out the top and bottom needle bearings on the stock and punched them into the new one.

The mounting eyelet of the new one is slightly narrower than the stock so added three thin washers to bridge the gap.

The tech who worked on the bike had earlier worked with BMW Motorrad in Pune; when he sat on the bike after the job was done, a big loopy, dopey smile spread slowly across his face and he said," sir, this feels just like a GS. So much more comfy than the stock. I'll recommend this mod to all my Versys 650 clients" and so on.

Increased the preload by 5 clicks and took it out for a spin on some poorly repaired stretches of road. Wow. My back, neck and knee were thanking me and reassuring me that now, they would be fine with the ride plan to Tawang, Anini and Kibithoo.

Good thing I didn't take the old R1 strut. The brand new GS one is as good and readily available for a lesser price.

This Sunday, Ill be riding a bit hardcore off road and will update the experience here.

The stock strut removed.

The new strut installed in the correct direction as on the original bike. No need of cutting any fairing plastic etc.

·
Super Moderator
19,748 Posts
Good write-up, and GREAT solution to an on-going issue w/ the V650!

(y)(y)

521 - 530 of 530 Posts