Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

501 - 520 of 530 Posts

·
Registered
Kawasaki Versys 2019 ABS
139 Posts
Got this new rear shock absorber of the BMW 310 GS. Will fit it this weekend after the standard 10mm to 12mm boring out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Changed oil and gave her a good cleaning in preparation for winter slumber. It's been freakishly warm in the US Midwest for the last week or so, about 75F for a high today. Took advantage and went for a ride. What a treat to ride in November!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Got this new rear shock absorber of the BMW 310 GS. Will fit it this weekend after the standard 10mm to 12mm boring out.
View attachment 181196
I am afraid that the shock will be too soft. I actually did the same thing, and fitted the rear shock from g310gs to my small 200cc adventure-off-road bike. It feels even soft on that small bike.

·
Super Moderator
19,748 Posts
Some years ago one of the "capscrews" that hold the left-side fairing (that runs alongside the gas tank) on my '08 V650 got 'buggared', and then awhile back I was able to get a replacement for the WHOLE metal-frame that it goes into.

Yesterday I got busy and removed the old, replaced it w/ the NEW, and here are several pics of the process. IF you think there's TOO MANY wires in several pics - those are for my 12v plug, my GARMIN GPS, and my DC v indicator.

IMG_0455 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0458 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0459 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0462 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Here are two pics of that "frame" separate from the bike, and you can see the "rust" where that BAD bolt attached. I BELIEVE that it could be 'drilled-out', and replaced by a 'heli-coil',

There is NO OTHER damage to it, and IF any of you have had a crash that BENT yours (Gen 1, so '07, '08 or '09), you can have THIS one for the cost of mailing it to you - FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED!

PM me IF you want it...!

As I DON'T have a drill-press here, I didn't try that.

IMG_0464 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0465 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Registered
255 Posts
Tested the SWM crash-bars and plate today. They worked well.

It was too nice to stay inside... 77 degrees in November..! so I took a chair and some work out to a local park. Fresh, thick gravel presented a challenge I wasn't up to and the V decided to take a nap. The hardest part was picking it up on an uphill. I'll get better at the gravel. No damage done; time to hit the bars and plate with some paint!

·
Registered
Kawasaki Versys 2019 ABS
139 Posts
Got the BMW 310 GS rear strut yesterday.

Funny thing is...the upper needle bearing is sealed while in the lower one, the inner race can be removed and so the wire to secure it to its body.

I have to now increase the ID of both mounting holes to 12 mm. How do i go about doing it? All tips are welcome. I have access to high end machine tools.

Another thing. Most V 650 owners here in India don't seem to find the rear suspension as hard at all and were surprised that I was going to so much trouble to fix mine when the stock strut was so nice. I think the earlier GS made me aware of how pliant a motorcycle suspension is actually supposed to be and that , in turn, proved to me that the rear of the V 650 WAS hard.

BTW, the direction of mounting caption is for the stock bike. On the V, I'll need to mount it the other way round.

·
Registered
557 Posts

Funny thing is...the upper needle bearing is sealed while in the lower one, the inner race can be removed and so the wire to secure it to its body.

I have to now increase the ID of both mounting holes to 12 mm. How do i go about doing it? All tips are welcome. I have access to high end machine tools.

Another thing. Most V 650 owners here in India don't seem to find the rear suspension as hard at all and were surprised that I was going to so much trouble to fix mine when the stock strut was so nice. I think the earlier GS made me aware of how pliant a motorcycle suspension is actually supposed to be and that , in turn, proved to me that the rear of the V 650 WAS hard.

BTW, the direction of mounting caption is for the stock bike. On the V, I'll need to mount it the other way round.
View attachment 181232
are you really planning to put this shock on Versys? it is much longer and softer. the V shock is soft anyway, why to change it?

ok, I put that shock on Hero Honda 200 pulse. what I did was - I hammered out the inner sleeves and fitted new ones; easy to get in India.

you will probably need to shorten the kickstand if you go that route.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts

the upper in your photo is not a needle bearing, just a common damped bushing. the mild steel sleeve can be drilled to 12mm if you take a minute to set up a simple fixture to insure concentric alignment. alternately, the damped bushing can be removed, and replaced with a needle bearing configuration like the opposite end, except 12mm ID inner. you could even fit the Versys needle bearing assembly if you don't source an alternate. some machine work may be required depending on the replacement bearing OD.

the inner removable 10mm sleeve on the needle bearing end is usually hardened, can't be drilled, and gets bored with carbide tooling. easy work for a machinist.

these are the same issues encountered with the R1 shock swap on the Versys, solutions documented many times over on the forum. with your access to machine tools and tooling, maybe a 30 minute job. i've done the damped bushing end both way, drilled the sleeve and swapped in the Kawasaki needle bearing. i don't have the equipment to bore the hardened sleeve, so that got farmed out to a local shop at minimal cost.

any other questions, just ask.

·
Registered
557 Posts
the upper in your photo is not a needle bearing, just a common damped bushing. the mild steel sleeve can be drilled to 12mm if you take a minute to set up a simple fixture to insure concentric alignment. alternately, the damped bushing can be removed, and replaced with a needle bearing configuration like the opposite end, except 12mm ID inner. you could even fit the Versys needle bearing assembly if you don't source an alternate. some machine work may be required depending on the replacement bearing OD.

the inner removable 10mm sleeve on the needle bearing end is usually hardened, can't be drilled, and gets bored with carbide tooling. easy work for a machinist.

these are the same issues encountered with the R1 shock swap on the Versys, solutions documented many times over on the forum. with your access to machine tools and tooling, maybe a 30 minute job. i've done the damped bushing end both way, drilled the sleeve and swapped in the Kawasaki needle bearing. i don't have the equipment to bore the hardened sleeve, so that got farmed out to a local shop at minimal cost.

any other questions, just ask.
the upper link in that shock is needle bearing. i just took it all out

·
Registered
649 Posts
Tested the SWM crash-bars and plate today. They worked well.

It was too nice to stay inside... 77 degrees in November..! so I took a chair and some work out to a local park. Fresh, thick gravel presented a challenge I wasn't up to and the V decided to take a nap. The hardest part was picking it up on an uphill. I'll get better at the gravel. No damage done; time to hit the bars and plate with some paint!

. Fresh, thick gravel presented a challenge I wasn't up to and the V decided to take a nap. The hardest part was picking it up on an uphill. I'll get better at the gravel.
All due respect but Im not sure your tires are suited for anything but pavement.

·
Registered
Kawasaki Versys 2019 ABS
139 Posts
are you really planning to put this shock on Versys? it is much longer and softer. the V shock is soft anyway, why to change it?

ok, I put that shock on Hero Honda 200 pulse. what I did was - I hammered out the inner sleeves and fitted new ones; easy to get in India.

you will probably need to shorten the kickstand if you go that route.
Kris,

I have one small hip injury from my NDA days, causative of an equestrian accident. Then, two surgeries on my knee after a major football accident in the IMA. Both injuries about 25 years old or more but coming back to haunt me a bit now.

The stock strut is really too stiff for me and it is after long study of many rear struts that I homed on to the 310 GS one. It looks long , yes, but is not actually. I'll increase the preload to make up for any degradation in static and dynamic sag.

And Indian roads, specially those that I want to ride with the V - Arunachal, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura - are all hard-core adv type roads. Your much vaunted KTM Dakar edition will fail on these roads, they are that bad. So, any additional "give" in the suspension is always welcome.

Will post the results here and on the How To forum.

·
Registered
557 Posts
ok, same solution, bore it or swap it.
let me know how it will work out. the gs spring is much longer and softer, so you might run into some issues. such as, the static sag can be too small vs the rider's sag (comparatively). in other terms, if you put the bike on the side stand, it will feel too tall (for the kickstand), but when you sit on it, it will feel too low. it also depends on you weight. i had this issues with Hero x-pulse. I have the small GS in india and as I fitted a better shock to it, I used the gs shock for x-pulse which had too stiff rear shock.

I have so many bikes in India, including the Tiger 800, the old bullet that I converted to 612cc. etc.. but the hero honda x-pulse is my favourite. I do live in Himalayas so Tiger is pretty useless there. who needs such a big cow to ride in the mountains?

·
Registered
255 Posts
All due respect but Im not sure your tires are suited for anything but pavement.
Hahaha possibly true but nothing ventured nothing gained! They seem to do ok on dirt but I don't push them for sure. I still maintain the V (and those tires) are better on the dirt than I am.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
...And Indian roads, specially those that I want to ride with the V - Arunachal, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura - are all hard-core adv type roads. Your much vaunted KTM Dakar edition will fail on these roads, they are that bad. So, any additional "give" in the suspension is always welcome...
i sold and shipped an entire OEM Versys suspension to a rider in India. he wanted to do the suspension swap on his EX650, then complete the bike setup for riding the remote Indian mountain roads. he reported that the bike was now an exceptional purpose built travel moto. riders of all stripes can have very different impressions, expectations, and requirements of the same basic bike platform.

·
Super Moderator
19,748 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #518
First ride for weeks.Been busy at home,took off this afternoon.Went out through Mangatawhiri,over Koheroa rd to highway 22 down to Rangiriri for a beer.Then around Lake Waikare to Tahuna then home.About 180km,all but 50km twisties,some of it tight.So good to be back on the road.

Happy riding

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have a weekly meeting Friday early am; took the bike as per usual. After that, a coffee shop and then another shop for meetings, then a stop by my range to help a friend with a new firearm. Home again by 3 to finish some work. Really enjoy using the bike for "normal" transportation. We'll see how far I can go when the temp starts to drop!

501 - 520 of 530 Posts