Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

481 - 500 of 530 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,748 Posts
The CORRECT amount of chain-slack, and HOW to adjust it, are written up in your OWNERS MANUAL. We had a saying while flying aircraft IF ALL ELSE FAILS - READ the MANUAL!!!

NO WHERE does it say to adjust it w/ someone sitting on it.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The CORRECT amount of chain-slack, and HOW to adjust it, are written up in your OWNERS MANUAL. We had a saying while flying aircraft IF ALL ELSE FAILS - READ the MANUAL!!!

NO WHERE does it say to adjust it w/ someone sitting on it.
I believe the sticker on the swingarm states that the tension is too be checked on the side stand.

·
Registered
557 Posts
today i got heated grips, it will be instaled in next few days.

I don't hear chain now, but before adjusting I heard some noise whole time, that is why I check chain.
I 2 time adjust like in manual (between 30-35mm) , and on end of serive time, he always say to me sit on motorbike so I can check chain, he say both times it is to tight (me + equipment = 130kg ), so he adjust about 40-45 and he say again ignore manual it is not OK. With this 40-45mm slack I don't hear any noise + I have earplugs all time. OEM chain 20600km for now, and it look good to me. I will se how much that chain will last.
I adjsut chain alone and no one is sitting on the motorbike, so than I set on 40-45mm and it is good for me.
actually according to the manual it is 25-35mm. if it is 35mm measured on the side stand, it is already on the lose side. sitting on the bike is just the way to check if the chain is really too tight. when is too tight, there is zero play in the chain. I personally, always keep to 25mm because I hate adjusting chains, so keep it more tight. I would trust more the manual than dealers. from my experience, they always adjust the chain by 'feel', without actually measuring the slack; they are too lazy and want to have the job done as quickly as possible. considering the weight of the rider and luggage, do not forget that increasing the spring preload will reduce the rider's sag.

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
Covid has not been kind to my Versys 650.
She has been very neglected and quiet.
I have not touched her for over 5 months now... I dont know if she will speak to me...
so today thought I stuck my key in her
I had a shiver when her eye lit up... pressed all the right button and she barked right up.!

Yeah Nah... nothing wrong with her... she still screaming at me when I twist her angry end.
(y)

·
Super Moderator
19,748 Posts
actually according to the manual it is 25-35mm. if it is 35mm measured on the side stand, it is already on the lose side. sitting on the bike is just the way to check if the chain is really too tight. when is too tight, there is zero play in the chain. I personally, always keep to 25mm because I hate adjusting chains, so keep it more tight. I would trust more the manual than dealers. from my experience, they always adjust the chain by 'feel', without actually measuring the slack; they are too lazy and want to have the job done as quickly as possible. considering the weight of the rider and luggage, do not forget that increasing the spring preload will reduce the rider's sag.
Kris - IF you want to know EXACTLY what your 'slack' can be:
...the TIGHTEST your chain can get is when the center of your counter-shaft, the center of your swing-arm pivot AND your rear axle are DIRECTLY INLINE. (You would have to work VERY hard to get that to happen, MOSTLY by supporting your bike while the rear shock is removed so ALL THREE can be inline) REMOVE ALL CHAIN-SLACK; then
...you would re-install the shock, put your V on its side-stand, and MEASURE how much slack there is.

THAT is how the factory comes up w/ the "range" that's in your MANUAL, so you DON'T have to go thru ALL THAT.

(y)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Kris - IF you want to know EXACTLY what your 'slack' can be:
...the TIGHTEST your chain can get is when the center of your counter-shaft, the center of your swing-arm pivot AND your rear axle are DIRECTLY INLINE. (You would have to work VERY hard to get that to happen, MOSTLY by supporting your bike while the rear shock is removed so ALL THREE can be inline) REMOVE ALL CHAIN-SLACK; then
...you would re-install the shock, put your V on its side-stand, and MEASURE how much slack there is.

THAT is how the factory comes up w/ the "range" that's in your MANUAL, so you DON'T have to go thru ALL THAT.

(y)

If I translate everything correctly on my language I can see in this video about what are you talking.

This dude explain really good why need specific slack on chain/belt .

So next time I need adjust chain better.

·
Registered
557 Posts
i noticed that in V650 the chain does not make noise. in my V1000, the chain is noisy, slapping around, even with a proper slack. same with Tiger 800

·
Registered
557 Posts
today, I adjusted my chain after a trip. I used the method of one flat. from my estimate, it is between 3 to 5mm.

·
Super Moderator
19,748 Posts
If I translate everything correctly on my language I can see in this video about what are you talking.

This dude explain really good why need specific slack on chain/belt .

So next time I need adjust chain better.

kardan - glad you found and posted that. MUCH better than just trying to visualize what I said!!!

(y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
337 Posts
I took the time to suspend my V with the rear tire off the ground, then removed the shock and raised the rear tire to find the tightest point. I set the chain to 10mm slack with a steel (undamped) front sprocket. This gave me about 45mm slack on the side stand.

I recently installed new sprockets and chain. I got the rubber damped front sprocket this time. When checking chain slack I can feel the rubber compress. My guess is some people (myself included) use too much force on the chain and as a result set the chain slack too tight. The rubber on the front sprocket should not be compressed when checking again slack.

I now use 1 finger to gently lift the chain just enough to straighten the upper run of the chain, but no more. This results in a quiet chain that doesn’t bind or stretch.

Steel front sprocket - use as much force as you wish when checking chain slack, and set it to 45mm.
Rubber front sprocket - be gentle and use factory instructions.

·
Registered
Kawasaki Versys 2019 ABS
139 Posts
Installation of 12v female adaptor

The 12v female adaptor and Add A Circuit fuse had been delivered a couple of days ago. I had to wait for the male and female bullet connectors to arrive. The necessary items came together finally on Friday 23 Oct and I was able to work on the bike on Sunday.

I hope the pics are self-explanatory.

The dummy plug on the LHS of the instru panel removed and edged sanded for clearance.

I bought this Michelin tyre inflator in 2017 and since then, it has helped me over some 25000 kms of riding all over India.

What an incredible relief to not have to remove the seat, connect the croc clips to the bty terminals and then power up the inflator just for the daily pressure checks.

·
Registered
Vx300
39 Posts
Commuted to, and looking forward to commuting from work in Michigan. I’m perfectly comfortable in the mid 40F temps. Have had the bike lot to myself since last week. They’re missing out. I’m not. It’s not like there’s snow or salt or the roads yet.

·
Registered
337 Posts
No more cold hands :cool:

Instaled KOSO heated grips.
Removing OEM grips- I use chopstick , push them under grip, add WD40 and rotate that chopstick and you can remove grip very easy.
Before adding heated grips, I add little Loctite 60 second glue.

Left grip are longer so I add 4 washer between handlebar and handlebar weight.
Right grip are 0.5cm shorter than OEM, but that is not problem, ma hands are warm :)

I wish that main wire was 20cm longer than now, so I can better place all wires under "hood"
I don't see anywhere on papers that connectors are waterproof, so this main I wrapped with insulating tape because rain can reach that connector, but other 2 connectors they are under "hood" so I think that they will stay dry all time.

·
Super Moderator
19,748 Posts
Rode BIG RED over to Casa Grande (about a 40 minute ride EACH way) around 0900, to visit some friends from Idaho, then over to Home Depot to pick something up.

Temp was getting warm - forecast to get to 94F later this afternoon. Filled the tank, and got 55 mpgUS.

:cool:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Didn't have to take any gear into work today... so I took the V. A bit cold in the morning but a great day for riding!

481 - 500 of 530 Posts