Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

461 - 480 of 489 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Went to clean my chain and found this!!! Yikes.

Looks like the pin holding the master clip sheared off somehow; I pressed the link back together and the pin was flush with the plate, leaving no extra for the clip...

The chain was a good bit past the "loose" end of the tolerance; I can imagine this could make the chain vulnerable to side-to-side impact. It was fine before the ride... which makes me wonder how much "stretch" or lengthening is normal, and if a chain that is toward the end of it's life will "stretch" more or less. The chain seems fine, my sprockets are still good BUT... probably not a bad time to replace everything. I have a new set of 15/43 sprockets waiting in the garage.

I'll admit I check the chain but not as a matter of habit before or after each ride... that will change going forward. I rode into town two days ago; I have no idea if this happened on that ride or last week's trip. Dodged a bullet on this one.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Went to clean my chain and found this!!! Yikes.

Looks like the pin holding the master clip sheared off somehow; I pressed the link back together and the pin was flush with the plate, leaving no extra for the clip...

The chain was a good bit past the "loose" end of the tolerance; I can imagine this could make the chain vulnerable to side-to-side impact. It was fine before the ride... which makes me wonder how much "stretch" or lengthening is normal, and if a chain that is toward the end of it's life will "stretch" more or less. The chain seems fine, my sprockets are still good BUT... probably not a bad time to replace everything. I have a new set of 15/43 sprockets waiting in the garage.

I'll admit I check the chain but not as a matter of habit before or after each ride... that will change going forward. I rode into town two days ago; I have no idea if this happened on that ride or last week's trip. Dodged a bullet on this one.
did you have clip or rivet master link? it looks like clip one, not very safe.

·
Super Moderator
19,617 Posts
Spent this morning getting the GREEN HORNET TOO prepped for winter. (Filled it w/ gas and Stabil fuel-stabilizer yesterday at the end of my 'last' BC ride for 2020.)

Washed it to remove bugs, then re-oiled the chain, put it up onto paddock stands, then took the battery out. Hooked it up to a 'float-charger' thru a 'timer' - it gets 15 minutes ON per 24 hours - then got it all locked-up, and a bike cover over it.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Replaced one of the pivot bolts for the Hepco and Becker center stand that went missing.(??)

Bike is all set to be a trailer queen on it's way for a few days of fun in AR, then on to NM and AZ for a few weeks of fun and frolic.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Rode into the mountains to visit the dmv because it only takes 45 minutes there (rather than all day locally).

·
Registered
327 Posts
1 hour thinking about whether to go for a ride or stay at home, look like rain will start, and it is cold, and sun is behind clouds, but let's go for a ride! When I started to ride after 5 minutes the clouds moved away and the autumn sun was slowly warming me on the motorcycle. Ideal for driving, I just had to wear a double layer of thermal goods.
So I ended up with a 120km long ride

·
Registered
Kawasaki Versys 2019 ABS
124 Posts
Sunday ride with a friend to Fort Raireshwar, Dhom Dam and Wai town. Raireshwar has a significant role in Maratha history - Raireshwar - Wikipedia

The utter uselessness of the stock Dunlops for anything but smooth, dry and warm highways was displayed during this ride. Some good scares in the wet mud and slush going up and coming down.

Tomorrow, Ill change the tyres to TIMSUN 712s, front and rear.

The temple is on the plateau at the top.

Grey Ghost and Orang Utan together

Broken tarmac almost all the way.

Raireshwar valley

Pushpal Meitei, owner of Orangutan and self.

The reservoir of the Dhom dam and a small island in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
After 7 moths working from home. Today I start to work back in company.
Riding in morning 45km from home to job in really hard fog, and temperature 1° C (33°F) and 50% of ride on highway.
Only my hands was cold because I don't have heated grips
I ordered yesterday this model with nice discount : Buy KOSO Heated Grips for 22 mm handlebars with switch integrated in the grip | Louis motorcycle clothing and technology

So we will see how will be riding in cold morning with warm hands :) (but i will use grip puppies over that heated grips, I think it will work OK with that grip puppies)

After coming to home after job I notice that chain is really loose (60-65mm on 80% of chain)
I adjust chain with 3/6 screw turns, and now chain is between 40-45mm- for me perfectly.

·
Super Moderator
19,617 Posts
TRIED to go riding YESTERDAY, but my battery decided to stop that from happening, so I replaced the battery (bought 16 Oct '19, failed to start BIG RED on 20 Oct '20...! :mad: ), and headed out for a fairly longish ride at 0900, home noonish BEFORE the high of 97F would occur.

Nice being 'back home' in AZ!

:cool:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sunday ride with a friend to Fort Raireshwar, Dhom Dam and Wai town. Raireshwar has a significant role in Maratha history - Raireshwar - Wikipedia

The utter uselessness of the stock Dunlops for anything but smooth, dry and warm highways was displayed during this ride. Some good scares in the wet mud and slush going up and coming down.

Tomorrow, Ill change the tyres to TIMSUN 712s, front and rear.

View attachment 181045

The temple is on the plateau at the top.

View attachment 181053

Grey Ghost and Orang Utan together

Broken tarmac almost all the way.

Raireshwar valley

View attachment 181048

Pushpal Meitei, owner of Orangutan and self.

View attachment 181052

The reservoir of the Dhom dam and a small island in it.

Looks like some awesome riding and scenery... love seeing these pics from India.

·
Super Moderator
19,617 Posts
Rode about 50 miles this AM before the temps got REALLY HIGH (97F), and when I get finished 'checking the Forum' - it'll be "cocktail hour"...!

:p

·
Registered
538 Posts
After 7 moths working from home. Today I start to work back in company.
Riding in morning 45km from home to job in really hard fog, and temperature 1° C (33°F) and 50% of ride on highway.
Only my hands was cold because I don't have heated grips
I ordered yesterday this model with nice discount : Buy KOSO Heated Grips for 22 mm handlebars with switch integrated in the grip | Louis motorcycle clothing and technology

So we will see how will be riding in cold morning with warm hands :) (but i will use grip puppies over that heated grips, I think it will work OK with that grip puppies)

After coming to home after job I notice that chain is really loose (60-65mm on 80% of chain)
I adjust chain with 3/6 screw turns, and now chain is between 40-45mm- for me perfectly.
I need to have a 'cooling' grips and seat as it is always hot in Thailand :) according to the manual, if I remember correctly, the chain slack should be 25-35mm. otherwise, it will wear off prematurely, or damage the sprockets, and most likely will be noisy.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have fitted block-off plate and removed the secondary air injection system. it is not that I needed it, as i have stock exhaust, but just to clean up the top of the engine and get rid of some ugly pipes (actually, in this bike there is only one rubber hose).

·
Registered
327 Posts
I need to have a 'cooling' grips and seat as it is always hot in Thailand :) according to the manual, if I remember correctly, the chain slack should be 25-35mm. otherwise, it will wear off prematurely, or damage the sprockets, and most likely will be noisy.
today i got heated grips, it will be instaled in next few days.

I don't hear chain now, but before adjusting I heard some noise whole time, that is why I check chain.
I 2 time adjust like in manual (between 30-35mm) , and on end of serive time, he always say to me sit on motorbike so I can check chain, he say both times it is to tight (me + equipment = 130kg ), so he adjust about 40-45 and he say again ignore manual it is not OK. With this 40-45mm slack I don't hear any noise + I have earplugs all time. OEM chain 20600km for now, and it look good to me. I will se how much that chain will last.
I adjsut chain alone and no one is sitting on the motorbike, so than I set on 40-45mm and it is good for me.

461 - 480 of 489 Posts