Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

441 - 460 of 489 Posts

·
Registered
Kawasaki Versys 2019 ABS
124 Posts
Vstrom front wheel conversion with a 110 series Motoz Tractinator Adventure tire. View attachment 180785
Wonderful. That disc swap must have been difficult? The paint scheme looks like the bike wants to head straight into combat in Afghanistan.

And is that an R1 rear shock absorber? Plus a bespoke windscreen too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Wonderful. That disc swap must have been difficult? The paint scheme looks like the bike wants to head straight into combat in Afghanistan.

And is that an R1 rear shock absorber? Plus a bespoke windscreen too.
Thanks for the compliment on the paint scheme. It gathers a lot of conversation passing by.

It is an R1 shock w/ a custom spring to match my weight plus usual luggage. The whole front wheel conversion package wasn't necessarily difficult. I had time while down range to look up parts, do my research and have it waiting on me upon my return. I had to get the rotors turned to 300mm by a machinist which seemed to be the most time consuming. The shops around me didn't have the right tools. But overall, once I spoke about the project a lot of people drew interest.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
...The whole front wheel conversion package wasn't necessarily difficult. I had time while down range to look up parts, do my research and have it waiting on me upon my return. I had to get the rotors turned to 300mm by a machinist which seemed to be the most time consuming. The shops around me didn't have the right tools...
if you happen to source the 19" DL1000 Vstrom wheel with the OEM 310mm rotors attached, then you would have them turned to 300mm to match the Versys 300mm rotors. if you do not get the rotors with your wheel, then you would source a set of aftermarket or OEM Suzuki rotors in 300mm which bolt right up to the DL1000 wheel, no machine work required. if you do need to have a shop turn the rotors, make sure the machinist knows what he's doing. it's not difficult or expensive work, but the wrong guy can ruin a set of rotors.

bolt up rotors for this wheel are commonly found in 290, 300, and 310mm, know what you're buying.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not today, but yesterday morning rode from home up to Horseshoebend National Military park... around 70 miles each way. Great day for a ride, partly cloudy and mild. Temp was in low 50's to start and warmed up into the 60's by the time I got home. Longest ride to date on this bike.

·
Registered
86 Posts
if you happen to source the 19" DL1000 Vstrom wheel with the OEM 310mm rotors attached, then you would have them turned to 300mm to match the Versys 300mm rotors. if you do not get the rotors with your wheel, then you would source a set of aftermarket or OEM Suzuki rotors in 300mm which bolt right up to the DL1000 wheel, no machine work required. if you do need to have a shop turn the rotors, make sure the machinist knows what he's doing. it's not difficult or expensive work, but the wrong guy can ruin a set of rotors.

bolt up rotors for this wheel are commonly found in 290, 300, and 310mm, know what you're buying.
Thanks for the input! Yeah I couldn’t find any at a descent price in the 300mm. That and my rim didn’t come with the rotors. So took your notes, grabbed the 310mm rotors at a killer deal. I’m kinda glad I went that route and learned along the way. Anyone who have had questions I’ve referenced everything we spoke about on the other forum.

·
Registered
331 Posts
On Saturday I installed a new rear tire, chain and sprockets. Cleaned everything including the swing arm drains while I was there. Then on Sunday I replaced my current LED headlight bulbs with new ones as the power supply for the low beam was acting up. And I did lots of other inspecting and fussing with the bike while I was able to.

An expensive weekend, but thankfully I can do all the work myself, so it wasn’t outrageous.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Returned safely from my longest ride yet; 900+ miles! To Florida and back. The V performed (almost) flawlessly. Didn't want to start once, which was strange. More later and hopefully some photos.

·
Super Moderator
19,617 Posts
Rode to the dentist in town to get a "tooth-crown" removed and a new one installed. I was there for just OVER two hours, and got to watch while a computer aided device 'carved' a block of plastic (?) into a NEW cap that EXACTLY MATCHED the profile of the old crown, which they determined using a 3D camera.

Pretty INCREDIBLE tech for THIS 'small-town' cowboy....

(y)(y)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Rode to the dentist in town to get a "tooth-crown" removed and a new one installed. I was there for just OVER two hours, and got to watch while a computer aided device 'carved' a block of plastic (?) into a NEW cap that EXACTLY MATCHED the profile of the old crown, which they determined using a 3D camera.

Pretty INCREDIBLE tech for THIS 'small-town' cowboy....

(y)(y)
It would have been funny if you showed them a bike part and then asked them to make a new one for you...

·
Super Moderator
19,617 Posts
It would have been funny if you showed them a bike part and then asked them to make a new one for you...
They said they would make ANY m'cycle part I wished, as long as I PAID THEM TO INSTALL IT INTO MY MOUTH.

Decided that I'm REALLY glad I don't ride an early Brit bike, or H-D....

;)

·
Super Moderator
19,617 Posts
Rode to Home Depot this AM to buy another 'motion detecting light' for the side of my backyard steps when I realized that the one I HAD isn't working properly, then removed/ reinstalled, them.

441 - 460 of 489 Posts