Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

381 - 400 of 413 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

I rode my stock 2011 Versys from NC to West Virginia, and then rode the Back of the Dragon, Dragon Slayer, and other such roads around coal mining country, including some dirt/gravel. We hit the highest peak in Kentucky, Black Mountain, and saw a bear family. I was with two big Harleys and a 1200 cc Triumph Tiger The Versys did a great job splitting the difference as a comfy long hauler, nifty curve buster, and decent dirt road traveler. All I needed fit in a First Gear dry bag tied to my Givi monokey top box mount. Regards.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I took my Versys 650 to a XLADV Adventure Riders Rally at Mammoth Lake this past week with about 80+ ADV Riders this past holiday week. Camped out for 4 days in a tent and took several trails in the High Sierra, GPS tracks provided and just rode with different groups to several places.

I hadn't planned on taking the Versys, but I'm still waiting for my 2021 Tenere T700 to be delivered to my Dealership, that I placed a deposit on this past June.

I just took it easy on the Versys, as I didn't want to beat it up. There was another earlier Gen green Versys there, but it looked like he may have just stayed on the roads for the scenic rides in the High Sierras. He wasn't really dressed like he was riding off road.

This was a Saturday ride to Crowley Lake - California, I was told it was a quite sandy trail.

XLADV.com

·
Registered
210 Posts
Installed an SW-Motech skid plate. Then realized I had not routed the engine pulse sensor BEHIND the mounting bracket. Amazing. Now I get to remove the rear bracket, which means remove the other rear bracket and engine bolt. Fun times.

·
Super Moderator
19,433 Posts
I'm getting my SW Moto crash bars today. One of the kids is picking them up at the post office.
You ACTUALLY can get your KIDS to do something (for the OLD man)?

;)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
You ACTUALLY can get your KIDS to do something (for the OLD man)?

;)
To be fair, the one I sent thought HE might have gotten something in the mail. I can't get those useless turds to do anything that might serve to help another human unless they think they might get something out of it.

That includes taking a shower. I'm not kidding.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I took my Versys 650 to a XLADV Adventure Riders Rally at Mammoth Lake this past week with about 80+ ADV Riders this past holiday week. Camped out for 4 days in a tent and took several trails in the High Sierra, GPS tracks provided and just rode with different groups to several places.

I hadn't planned on taking the Versys, but I'm still waiting for my 2021 Tenere T700 to be delivered to my Dealership, that I placed a deposit on this past June.

I just took it easy on the Versys, as I didn't want to beat it up. There was another earlier Gen green Versys there, but it looked like he may have just stayed on the roads for the scenic rides in the High Sierras. He wasn't really dressed like he was riding off road.

This was a Saturday ride to Crowley Lake - California, I was told it was a quite sandy trail.

XLADV.com
That looks awesome!!! We have hills and forest here in TN but nothing that comes close to desert-ish terrain.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Was on 100km ride on pretty sunny day with perfectly clean motorbike,come back to home full of dead mosquitoes and blood from some bugs.
Minimum 200 mosquitoes killed and glued from the fenders to the wind deflector and the top of my helmet, and on my suit.
it will be interesting to clean that mess one day .

·
Registered
168 Posts
So, with me working from home since mid March, I don't commute, and Phantom doesn't get ridden as much as she should. So yesterday I ran a few errands yesterday to charge my battery and the bike's, since I hadn't ridden in almost three weeks (health and weather were getting in the way). My first stop was at my brother's house, only about 3 miles away. While she started right up when I left my house, she was very sluggish when I left my brother's place. Wouldn't start right away. Tried to turn over. So I turned the key off and on. It sluggishly started, and then did the instrument sweep. Then it ran fine. I figured I needed a good battery charger run, so rather than run my other couple of errands, i got on the freeway and rode for about 1-1.5 hours. My thinking was that, if the battery is actually starting to go, this run should get the charge where it should be. If not, at least it will be dead in my garage, rather than a parking lot somewhere. Battery test shows it's fine. I just need to ride more. That's not a terrible problem to have. :)

·
Super Moderator
19,433 Posts
Was on 100km ride on pretty sunny day with perfectly clean motorbike,come back to home full of dead mosquitoes and blood from some bugs.
Minimum 200 mosquitoes killed and glued from the fenders to the wind deflector and the top of my helmet, and on my suit.
it will be interesting to clean that mess one day .
Ride thru a rain shower...!

;)

·
Super Moderator
19,433 Posts
I just finished working on what I THOUGHT was a battery charging issue, but (IF I'M LUCKY) was just an issue w/ my voltage indicator.

:cool:

·
Registered
113 Posts
9th XLADV High Sierra 2020 ADV Rally

Photo Credit to Photographer Stephen Gregory

It's easy to spot the Versys in a lineup, just look for the tiny 17" front wheel. lol

The only other Versys 650 at the ADV rally besides mine. Unfortunately, I never got a chance to ride with him.

More photos by Stephen Gregory from this rally: XLADV High Sierra 2020

·
Registered
393 Posts
Did a two-up ride with my wife to Echo Lake, CO to escape the afternoon mid-80s heat in Denver and see how the Aspen are doing in the high country. There is not much color on the high country yet.

We did manage to stop in Idaho Springs and have dinner at Beau Jo's pizza, a Colorado landmark restaurant, before riding home after sunset with temps in the high 50s in the mountains.

It was a fun and relaxing 80-mile ride.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Got up very early and geared up for a ride to Andersonville National Historic Site, Ga. Took the back roads, county roads, etc. Round trip was 160 miles, by far the longest I've taken on this bike. I pretty much had the place to myself ad the Welcome Center/Museum is still closed. Hard to imagine what it must have been like when it was "active". Hit a few showers on the way back but nothing too bad.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Did a 800km ride in two days. Since I bought my first motorcycle that I wanted to do this ride. Initially I planned for 3 days and to cover sobre more Mountain roads. But riding alone is not as much fun as I antecipated.

This is the highest Mountain in Portugal main land. Almost 2000mts high. Lots of fun curves and scenic landscapes.

Enviado do meu RMX2063 através do Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #399
WOW thats amazing scenery,when Im in that sort of country i tend to go slow with lots of stops to take it in.Ive even been passed by rvs im going that slow.

Happy riding

·
Super Moderator
19,433 Posts
Hard to imagine what it must have been like when it was "active".
I read a book ("Andersonville" I believe) about it, and it was UNBELIEVABLE how cruel it was....

381 - 400 of 413 Posts