Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

341 - 360 of 413 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Kinda late to report but I’ve moved to a new home and I’m exploring the area fairly regularly. There are some interesting roads here and I hope to enjoy them for a long time to come. I’m in the Sabinal canyon in the Texas Hill Country and aside from the fauna, the riding is pretty nice.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Why don't you go with you bike but stay in an hotel?

Enviado do meu RMX2063 através do Tapatalk
I much prefer "sleeping in my own dirt" in my camper van. It has a shower, sink, toilet, air conditioner, a very comfortable mattress, fridge, cook top, microwave, solar panels, generator and no bed bugs. I'm hitting two motorcycle rallies on my trip that are at campgrounds. Hotel stays would preclude enjoying adult beverages at the evening fun of the rallies. Hotels would also put a huge dent in my travel budget as this trip looks to be 3-4 weeks long. Camping fees will be about US$200 for the trip versus about $3000 for hoteling it. Extra gas for the van will likely be about $300-400.00. Anticipated van miles are about 3500 on mostly boring roads. Motorcycle miles should run about 2000-3000, all on fun roads.

This method also saves about 2/3rds of rear tire where on my bike and allows me to travel in cool comfort in the van versus sweating it out on the bike.

I think of the camper van as my mobile Covid isolation housing.

All of that said, I will be resuming my normal September ride next year which is tent camping with the motorcycle, assuming this Covid thing gets under control.

Ride focused.

TTFN,.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I much prefer "sleeping in my own dirt" in my camper van. It has a shower, sink, toilet, air conditioner, a very comfortable mattress, fridge, cook top, microwave, solar panels, generator and no bed bugs. I'm hitting two motorcycle rallies on my trip that are at campgrounds. Hotel stays would preclude enjoying adult beverages at the evening fun of the rallies. Hotels would also put a huge dent in my travel budget as this trip looks to be 3-4 weeks long. Camping fees will be about US$200 for the trip versus about $3000 for hoteling it. Extra gas for the van will likely be about $300-400.00. Anticipated van miles are about 3500 on mostly boring roads. Motorcycle miles should run about 2000-3000, all on fun roads.

This method also saves about 2/3rds of rear tire where on my bike and allows me to travel in cool comfort in the van versus sweating it out on the bike.

All of that said, I will be resuming my normal September ride next year which is tent camping with the motorcycle, assuming this Covid thing gets under control.
Ride focused.

TTFN,.
Wow, that truly sounds like a dream. Do you have pic's of your set-up? I would love to travel around the country in that fashion! Not sure my wife would let me (yeah right).

Wally

·
Registered
822 Posts
Wow, that truly sounds like a dream. Do you have pic's of your set-up? I would love to travel around the country in that fashion! Not sure my wife would let me (yeah right).

Wally
If you shoot me a PM with a phone number or an email address to shoot pics to, I can do that.

·
Super Moderator
19,433 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,433 Posts
Did my usual ride to my wife's 'community garden' to water, as well as harvest tomatoes, then continued the ride N to Vernon via the road along Lake Okanagan, sunny, warm!

Filled up w/ gas taking 15.5L for 397.5 kms, which worked out to 57.8 mpgUS, then rode S on the SAME road!

That's a very nice way to add 100 kms (62 miles) to the odometer - LOTS of twisties, GREAT views - and I "get paid" to do that...!

:sneaky:

(y)(y)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Today, all I did was ride home from work. Nothing extremely special there. Over the weekend, however, I finished installing my new turn signals and custom flasher module from CustomLED.

Now that the smoke from the local fires has cleared up mostly, I might go for a ride Saturday morning.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Rode to a meeting... knew a storm was coming in but figured I'd probably beat it. The meeting ran long and man I got pummeled on the way home. Summer mesh gear isn't really water resistant:) You know it's bad when you start getting tornado warnings on your phone as you are riding.

On the bright side, the V was utterly reliable and stable. Every time I ride in rain, I grow less apprehensive of it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #350
Changed the oil/filter and got a new PR5 fitted to do the Coromandel loop again tomorow with some mates. With Auckland in lockdown theres no traffic on the roads.

·
Registered
159 Posts

Ride focused.

TTFN,.
That is an awesome setup! (y)

·
Super Moderator
19,433 Posts
On the bright side, the V was utterly reliable and stable. Every time I ride in rain, I grow less apprehensive of it.
I've ridden EACH of my THREE V650s in days of CONTINUOUS rain (OVER 11 hours of rain), mostly on rides to Alaska, except for the '08. I rode IT in ALL DAY RAIN from Page, AZ to "Four Corners", then down thru NM to Zuni, and W from there.

DSC06984 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC07044 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC07046 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC07050 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

NEXT pic is of Shiprock, NM - NOT VERY visible. NASTY day!

DSC07052 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Registered
822 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Took the right side fairing off. Officially, to do the break-in service check on coolant level, but mostly to get to know the bike a little better. Found this to be a considerably more complex process than on the Gen I.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I keep trying to remind myself to check mine. Turns out I can see it from the seat. Right where it was when I bought it.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Yup. But like I said, I wanted to get to know the bike better. See how the fairings were mounted, and what lies beneath.
Do you know you can see the coolant level when you look up between the yokes?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I went for a ride around Modesto, mainly around the mall. Pretty nice, there were about 3 cars in the entire lot.

Unfortunately, I ran a red light (I stopped and waited, noted it didn't know I was there, then proceeded) that turned out to have a red light camera. Had to track down a cop and ask if the cameras were active. He said they were and asked if I ran one. Yeah, sort of... I explained it to him and he kind of laughed and said I wouldn't get a ticket. He said they don't issue red light camera tickets in Modesto anymore, but the cameras still record the intersections.

So, I guess I got away with it.

·
Registered
125 Posts

Ride focused.

TTFN,.
Ok, now I understand you

I would love to camp on my motorcycle but my back will kill me If I sleep on the floor. But with your setup is easy .

Next month I'm planning on doing a 4 day trip with my versys covering about 1200km. But I will be staying an an hotel for night sleep. But would love to camp on the wild.

Enviado do meu RMX2063 através do Tapatalk

341 - 360 of 413 Posts